Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0008 - Mild Bluesy Groove Backing Track in Bm  (Read 12391 times)

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
Guitar Challenge 0008 - Mild Bluesy Groove Backing Track in Bm
« on: October 08, 2018, 10:18:15 am »
Time is passing rapidly. Days are flying away. Stay connected to your guitar, don't let go of it ;)

This week's jam/challenge is in B minor. Click here to download a shortened version of the track.

Chords progression: https://chordify.net/chords/mild-bluesy-groove-backing-track-in-bm-sebastien-zunino

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:44:36 am by close2u »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 190
    • YouTube
Re: Guitar Challenge 0008 - Mild Bluesy Groove Backing Track in Bm
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 03:05:56 pm »
Daow-wow--chicka-chicka-boom-boom

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 07:52:57 pm »
This is an awesome track to play over! While I had my LesPaul in my hands I recorded my take on this right away with the Marshall sound dialed in on the GT-100. This is just me xx--xx away with no regard to pauses or letting the music breath… Just me having a blast ;D
I played throughout the track and I may sound like I get a little stuck in the end. Whatever, give it a spin.

https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11/mild-bluesy-bm-mixdown/s-8tWeS
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 08:09:02 pm »
That was awesome Jesper! I really like it! Who cares whether you let it breathe, it sounded great the way you played it. Now I’m craving a guitar with humbuckers ;D good vibes!

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:18:27 pm »
That was awesome Jesper! I really like it! Who cares whether you let it breathe, it sounded great the way you played it. Now I’m craving a guitar with humbuckers ;D good vibes!

Oh boy! No humbuckers? Omar, you need to set that straight.
But thanks for listening and your positive words.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 08:58:05 pm »
Excellent, Jesper, that sounded fantastic all the way through.  Great tones, tasty phrases and more than enough breathing IMO :)
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0

My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 09:01:19 pm »
Excellent, Jesper, that sounded fantastic all the way through.  Great tones, tasty phrases and more than enough breathing IMO :)

Thanks David. It was a fun groove to play over. Funny how those little melody lines pop up almost by themselves.
/Jesper

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 09:05:38 pm »
Thanks David. It was a fun groove to play over. Funny how those little melody lines pop up almost by themselves.

LOL ... looking forward to the day when lines pop up by themselves :)
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 09:07:15 pm »
LOL ... looking forward to the day when lines pop up by themselves :)

It'll come in due time. Just keep at it.
/Jesper

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 10:41:02 pm »
Oh boy! No humbuckers? Omar, you need to set that straight.
But thanks for listening and your positive words.

I have it first on the list. However, there have been some changes lately, a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36 popped up from nowhere lol 😬

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 11:26:38 pm »
This is an awesome track to play over! While I had my LesPaul in my hands I recorded my take on this right away with the Marshall sound dialed in on the GT-100. This is just me xx--xx away with no regard to pauses or letting the music breath… Just me having a blast ;D
I played throughout the track and I may sound like I get a little stuck in the end. Whatever, give it a spin.

If I can sound like that for 7 and a half minutes, I’d gladly go to the crossroads and sign up! Mind blown! That tone just makes my GAS for a Les Paul explode!

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 05:17:23 am »
Joerfe, Good vibes to you, not only for the duration and staying with it but for producing a cool improv.  Great sound. 

Here's my attempt.  I call it out of my head - and really out of my element.  Forgive me.  Well, it is just for fun.  Right? ;D

https://app.box.com/s/ex6cnovz3yegt4dxs36ralyl06gnskr7

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 05:44:23 am »
Here's my attempt.  I call it out of my head - and really out of my element.  Forgive me.  Well, it is just for fun.  Right? ;D

No need to beg forgiveness, Dave ... your characteristic fine phrasing and playing dressed up with some wild tones and effects ... sounded like FUN in capital letters to me.

Maybe it was my playback environment but sounded like maybe a few moments with some clipping on the recording or rendering ... if not my playback or poor hearing then were some of the meters up into the red zone at times? 

If that is the case, then what I am now doing once I am happy with the level of each track in the mix is pulling it all down to make sure no red lights, then I put a limiter on the master to lift up the final volume while making sure there is not excessive limiting taking place to retain dynamic range.

Once again, thanks for putting this up that is out of your element.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 04:10:20 pm »
No need to beg forgiveness, Dave ... your characteristic fine phrasing and playing dressed up with some wild tones and effects ... sounded like FUN in capital letters to me.

Maybe it was my playback environment but sounded like maybe a few moments with some clipping on the recording or rendering ... if not my playback or poor hearing then were some of the meters up into the red zone at times? 

If that is the case, then what I am now doing once I am happy with the level of each track in the mix is pulling it all down to make sure no red lights, then I put a limiter on the master to lift up the final volume while making sure there is not excessive limiting taking place to retain dynamic range.

Once again, thanks for putting this up that is out of your element.

David, Thanks for the comments.  No, the meters weren't up in the red - they were exploding, throwing red lava-like dbs.  Haha.  I did one take of this that I really liked as I was playing, got done and realized I didn't click on Input 2 for my guitar.  It was getting late, so slapped down this second track, saw the exploding faders and was going to put a limiter on the master, got in a hurry and just forgot to do it.  Oh, well, stuff happens.  My intent was to make something kind of "down and dirty sounding".   I guess in that respect I succeeded.  :o
You mentioned the characteristic phrasing.  Man, I'd like to get away from that somehow.  It seems, at least at this stage, I find things that kind of work and keep falling back on them.  So beware!  It's kind of a crutch in these improv things where you're trying to do a one-take bit, put something "new" in and then don't know quite where to go and what will fit, so I end up falling back on those phrases.  I'm hoping more practice and experience will broaden my horizons in that respect.  No matter what the final sound, it was definitely FUN!  Kind of different than what I'm used to playing.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 04:19:19 pm »
David, Thanks for the comments.  No, the meters weren't up in the red - they were exploding, throwing red lava-like dbs.  Haha.  I did one take of this that I really liked as I was playing, got done and realized I didn't click on Input 2 for my guitar.  It was getting late, so slapped down this second track, saw the exploding faders and was going to put a limiter on the master, got in a hurry and just forgot to do it.  Oh, well, stuff happens.  My intent was to make something kind of "down and dirty sounding".   I guess in that respect I succeeded.  :o

You mentioned the characteristic phrasing.  Man, I'd like to get away from that somehow.  It seems, at least at this stage, I find things that kind of work and keep falling back on them.  So beware!  It's kind of a crutch in these improv things where you're trying to do a one-take bit, put something "new" in and then don't know quite where to go and what will fit, so I end up falling back on those phrases.  I'm hoping more practice and experience will broaden my horizons in that respect.  No matter what the final sound, it was definitely FUN!  Kind of different than what I'm used to playing.

LMAO ... not a problem at all.  I just wanted to check my hearing as much as anything.  And I ought to have known that you are on top of limiters and all that jazz (excuse the pun).

In terms of characteristic ... just to be more clear from my side ... the characteristic belonged to the word fine rather than phrasing.  I don't get a sense when I listen to you that you are a limited trick pony with a few licks and riffs that you always use.  I was rather trying to comment on your fine feel and phrasing, which is just what I expect when I listen to you play.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 06:02:01 pm »
LMAO ... not a problem at all.  I just wanted to check my hearing as much as anything.  And I ought to have known that you are on top of limiters and all that jazz (excuse the pun).

In terms of characteristic ... just to be more clear from my side ... the characteristic belonged to the word fine rather than phrasing.  I don't get a sense when I listen to you that you are a limited trick pony with a few licks and riffs that you always use.  I was rather trying to comment on your fine feel and phrasing, which is just what I expect when I listen to you play.

David, I got the "characteristic fine phrasing" and appreciate that feedback.  However, I do have certain licks and phrases that I rely on and are sort of go-to for me and are characteristic of my playing.   I'm aware that I do it and would just like to expand, I guess I could say, my vocabulary.  And it's something to watch out for, I think, as we develop. I went back through some of my improvs (some posted, some not) and there were certain elements that seemed to keep popping up and sounding very much the same.  I guess to a certain extent that's inevitable as we are learning and growing, using things that are comfortable to us and familiar.  I just don't want to get stuck in a hole and want to make others aware; thus the "so beware". 

As far as the faders, limiters, etc. -- other than this one, of course -- I've been really trying to keep everything at a green level.  It really does make things sound better and it's a whole lot easier when developing the final sound.  (Thanks LBro)  Of course you already are aware of those things.  Thanks again for the great feedback.

EDIT:  Your hearing is fine! ;D

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 09:28:39 pm »
If I can sound like that for 7 and a half minutes, I’d gladly go to the crossroads and sign up! Mind blown! That tone just makes my GAS for a Les Paul explode!

Made me kinda blush right there.... thank you very much.
It was one of those days where it all came together at the right time.
/Jesper

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 09:33:10 pm »
Joerfe, Good vibes to you, not only for the duration and staying with it but for producing a cool improv.  Great sound. 

Thank you!
And it might have been out of your comfort zone, but I like your track, both the effect and the phrasing. Bends a little out of tune, but very nice playing. You Seem to play pretty tight on this one.
/Jesper

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 190
    • YouTube
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 05:44:52 am »
Just hanging out with some good friends, having a cold beverage and Groovin' In The Garden.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 06:11:10 am »
Just hanging out with some good friends, having a cold beverage and Groovin' In The Garden.

Most enjoyable, Clint, a different slightly more jazzy feel and tone to this one.

And must say, love your titles and images on SoundCloud.  Like those little extras.

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 11:24:37 am »

Very well done, Jesper! 7 minutes of goodness.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 01:12:00 pm »
Very well done, Jesper! 7 minutes of goodness.

Thanks Fox
/Jesper

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 190
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 01:55:29 pm »
@Joerfe, there is something about your rig that sounds great when you really lay into it with a heavy hand. Maybe a pedal or amp sim with an attack setting? Who knows, sounds great when you do that thing. Nice offering.

@oldhead49, that's just next level nasty. Really great stuff. That was the most fun I've had all day. I've got my eye on you, man. You pulled that one out of the depths of who knows where. Loved it! 8)

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 04:51:35 pm »
No, the meters weren't up in the red - they were exploding, throwing red lava-like dbs.  Haha.
Sometimes you just have to let it scream 8)
Good stuff, good stuff.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 05:49:53 pm »
@Joerfe, there is something about your rig that sounds great when you really lay into it with a heavy hand. Maybe a pedal or amp sim with an attack setting? Who knows, sounds great when you do that thing. Nice offering.

It is basically just a Les Paul (neck pickup) through my Boss GT-100 board emulating a Marshall 1959 with gain at 1 o'clock.
A little Reverb to taste.

An LP through Marshall has always been a winning combination.
/Jesper

Get The Forum As A Mobile App