Author Topic: Tonewoods  (Read 619 times)

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Tonewoods
« on: October 04, 2018, 08:41:45 pm »
I’m looking for UK biased advice on suppliers of tonewoods. Quality with fair prices is what I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Rufusragatip

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
  • I can pick my nose but cant pick a guitar string.
Re: Tonewoods
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:35:59 pm »
Hi,

Several luthiers in the UK recommend
https://www.sykestimber.co.uk/
and several others recommend
http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/
also recommended by luthiers are
http://www.yandles.co.uk/.

I have no affiliation with any of the above mentioned suppliers and couldn't offer a recommendation - however, having used time and money to educate oneself in the 'tonewood' debate, if it is of any help to you - the recommendation of the suppliers are from reading direct from the luthiers writings and from them personally.

Now - you know there is no such thing as 'tonewood', right?  ::) :P ;D

Kind regards,
Rufus
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Racism is in the eye of an idiot' - Rufusragatip 2018

'Judge not, until you judge yourself' - Robert 'Nesta' Marley 1962

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:09:21 pm »
Hi,

Several luthiers in the UK recommend
https://www.sykestimber.co.uk/
and several others recommend
http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/
also recommended by luthiers are
http://www.yandles.co.uk/.
Now - you know there is no such thing as 'tonewood', right?  ::) :P ;D

Hi and thanks,

I didn't get a notification that I had a response so apologies if you posted this some time ago.

Er, I'm even more of a novice with what goes into making a guitar than I am a guitar player so please enlighten me on "no such thing as a tone wood".

Regards,

John

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:28:10 pm »
... please enlighten me on "no such thing as a tone wood".

It is a wind up based on comments in another thread that got out of hand and resulted in a locked thread.
Ignore it.

:)

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 10:38:33 pm »
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Rufusragatip

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
  • I can pick my nose but cant pick a guitar string.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 08:24:21 pm »
Hi John,

An apology is certainly not required over the length of time to reply, John, although the offer is very much respected and appreciated.
Allow for a short summary regarding 'tonewoods'. It is then your prerogative to ignore, or not, as the case may be, and as you were asking it would certainly be impolite to gloss over.
I forewarn you that the following is based on research of contacting luthiers for their opinion (straight from the horses mouth so to speak) and from researching via the internet - using links provided to youtube videos as well as from written views by the names mentioned below. I am neither a luthier, nor a guitar player of any reasonable standing, but I, as it appears do you, wish to learn and not be fobbed off with biased, unqualified opinion.

According to some people who have shared an opinion over the years (which they are entitled too) - there is no such thing as 'tonewood' other than that used in acoustic guitars/building/choice.
However, research by luthiers of good standing, and world wide respect, as well as world renowned guitar players and 'pick-up' designers/makers have proven otherwise.
Sadly, this evidence has been refuted by those who either don't understand physics, or, they wish to stand by their claim of uneducated thought. That is their prerogative.
Alas, opinions differ (as previously mentioned), which depends on what side of the fence you sit to how you will be received - however, the likes of Steve Vai, Joe Walsh, Joe Bonamassa, Steve Blucher, Chris Fleming, Tak Hosono to name a few, state that the choice of wood of your guitar determines the sound which resonates from the guitar. (the aforementioned gentleman are on public record as stating their opinions)
What should be taken into account is the type of wood that is used.
Mahogany will produce a different sound in an electric guitar than say, that of a Poplar wood guitar.
Likewise, Walnut would produce a different sound than a Swamp Ash guitar.
Wood with 'close' grain will resonate a different sound than a wood with 'wide' grain.
Also - apart from the obvious different choice of 'pick-ups' used making a particular sound over a guitar with another brand of pick-up - how the guitar is finished will also make a difference to the sound.
An oil-finished electric guitar will produce a different tone than that of an electric guitar of same wood weight/design but finished with coatings of polyurethane and lacquer. Some may say that that statement is preposterous, which they are entitled to, but you can guarantee that they can't prove their opinions, whereas it has been proven.
That is slight digression, John. Apologies.
Back on track -
Some people offer their thoughts that the difference in undetectable, and that is their choice to think that way, especially if their ears can't detect the difference. Others share the thought that they can hear the difference and some even go further as to prove the fact.
Whichever road you take in your beliefs, there is a considerable amount of evidence to prove that wood choice, in an electric guitar does make a difference to the sound.
Hope the above was of some use to you.

Kind regards,
Rufus
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Racism is in the eye of an idiot' - Rufusragatip 2018

'Judge not, until you judge yourself' - Robert 'Nesta' Marley 1962

Get The Forum As A Mobile App