Author Topic: Guitar Challenge XIX - Improv over a I VI IV V Backing Track in C  (Read 11149 times)

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
Re: Guitar Challenge XIX - Improv over a I VI IV V Backing Track in C
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 09:26:53 am »
Thank you @DarrelW any plans to join us? ;)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 02:46:45 pm »
C - Am - F - G is really just a gateway drug into this progression. By using a capo and/or quickly transposing into G - Em - C - D and such, you can cover a lot of ground musically. There are songs for just every musical genre locked up in there.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 02:54:34 pm »
Thank you @DarrelW any plans to join us? ;)
Unfortunately my health is not good so not at the moment.
As regards the G Em C D progression there are again lots of songs in all sorts of genres
https://youtu.be/xGeqjlPz4kw
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 03:43:04 pm »
Unfortunately my health is not good so not at the moment.
As regards the G Em C D progression there are again lots of songs in all sorts of genres
https://youtu.be/xGeqjlPz4kw

I’m sorry to hear this, Darrell. :-\ I hope you get well very soon my friend.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 02:28:03 am »
Get well soon @DarrellW! Throwing a good vibe your way. I was afraid my ropey playing was keeping you away. 8)

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 08:53:53 am »
Any recommendations for converting the audio of the video to mp3? ^^
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

// YT-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5ZGjZ-aZgUNiCU-dznxAg

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 08:57:48 am »
Any recommendations for converting the audio of the video to mp3? ^^

Use www.yout.com
Sorry I didn’t explain about it.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 11:12:00 am »
Get well soon @DarrellW! Throwing a good vibe your way. I was afraid my ropey playing was keeping you away. 8)
No way, you overestimate my abilities, I am not very good anymore a combination of lack of practice and being very much a one trick pony when I was younger, I know a lot more than I can do!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 04:02:47 pm »
https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/weekly-jam-1-20190929

Well, I have to say Omar and Clint made it sound a lot easier than it turned out to be, but I had to have a go to honour that "for all ability levels to challenge yourself" :)  And hope some other latter-stage BC players active in the Community will follow my lead ... em ... example and join in without worrying about being "good".

In doing so I discovered that recording a short lead as I did on a couple of my recordings (10 & 16 bars), is a whole lot simpler than an extended improvisation.  Long way to go before I can deliver a Neil Young-like extended solo :)

But in the spirit of the Community, here it is warts and all ... and this is more warty than some other recordings others posted with a warts warning.  There are 3 notes that I can hear that are a semi-tone off the scale (at least I can hear that :) ) plus a couple of other significant off moments timing wise.  The rest I guess is a par performance, no doubt some not so sweet notes and moments where the timing is off. 

But hey, gotta start somewhere and was lots of fun spending some time on this, so thanks for posting the challenge, Omar.

Played this on my Epi LP, bridge PUP, direct via AI into Reaper using the Waves GTR plug to get the tones, using a clean jazz pre-set with some tweaks on the pedal settings.  That seemed in keeping with backing track.  It is one continuous take, no editing but not the first take, just the best of a bunch after extensive practise playing with tones.

PS Sorry LB, wanted to get a rockier tone but all made it sound as if I may not have been listening to the backing if I'd dialed them in.  But got some great sounds and hopefully get down with those soon ;D

Jam on !!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:30:27 pm by DavidP »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 08:37:59 pm »
I've been staying away from web activities for the most part to focus on some songs and courseware. When I saw @DavidP posted his challenge track, I had to jump in for a listen. Very nice effort, and man what a gorgeous guitar! It can be difficult to vamp right out of the chute using the major scale. So kudos to you for challenging yourself in that way. That's really the best way to improve. The pentatonic scale works nicely with that turnaround as well. 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 08:53:46 pm »
I've been staying away from web activities for the most part to focus on some songs and courseware. When I saw @DavidP posted his challenge track, I had to jump in for a listen. Very nice effort, and man what a gorgeous guitar! It can be difficult to vamp right out of the chute using the major scale. So kudos to you for challenging yourself in that way. That's really the best way to improve. The pentatonic scale works nicely with that turnaround as well.

Thanks for listening, Clint, and for the positive and encouraging comments.

I think other than a few phrases where I played F notes, most of it was using C man pentatonic, rooted on the 3rd string, 5th fret. What surprised me a little is how well the D note seemed to fit. I know it is 5 of G chord but still. The G also sounded good most of the time, which I attribute to it being the 5 note of the scale. I guess one shouldn't over think theory but I like understanding the how and why of things.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2018, 02:23:43 pm »
https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/weekly-jam-1-20190929

Well, I have to say Omar and Clint made it sound a lot easier than it turned out to be, but I had to have a go to honour that "for all ability levels to challenge yourself" :)  And hope some other latter-stage BC players active in the Community will follow my lead ... em ... example and join in without worrying about being "good".

In doing so I discovered that recording a short lead as I did on a couple of my recordings (10 & 16 bars), is a whole lot simpler than an extended improvisation.  Long way to go before I can deliver a Neil Young-like extended solo :)

But in the spirit of the Community, here it is warts and all ... and this is more warty than some other recordings others posted with a warts warning.  There are 3 notes that I can hear that are a semi-tone off the scale (at least I can hear that :) ) plus a couple of other significant off moments timing wise.  The rest I guess is a par performance, no doubt some not so sweet notes and moments where the timing is off. 

But hey, gotta start somewhere and was lots of fun spending some time on this, so thanks for posting the challenge, Omar.

Played this on my Epi LP, bridge PUP, direct via AI into Reaper using the Waves GTR plug to get the tones, using a clean jazz pre-set with some tweaks on the pedal settings.  That seemed in keeping with backing track.  It is one continuous take, no editing but not the first take, just the best of a bunch after extensive practise playing with tones.

PS Sorry LB, wanted to get a rockier tone but all made it sound as if I may not have been listening to the backing if I'd dialed them in.  But got some great sounds and hopefully get down with those soon ;D

Jam on !!

Nice David! The good thing about your jam is that you kept it simple and the notes sounded clean throughout. I also loved your guitar tone. It kinda had a Californication (R.H.C.P) vibe to it.
Tips to improve - Something that I was doing and still do. Watch out for the bad notes. It helps to listen to your improv and make a note of all the bad notes you played and find where they are on the fretboard. That way you could avoid them. Since we are keeping it simple and keeping it within the pentatonic, this would help. :)

But excellent job overall. Expecting more improvs from you :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2018, 04:14:07 pm »
Nice David! The good thing about your jam is that you kept it simple and the notes sounded clean throughout. I also loved your guitar tone. It kinda had a Californication (R.H.C.P) vibe to it.
Tips to improve - Something that I was doing and still do. Watch out for the bad notes. It helps to listen to your improv and make a note of all the bad notes you played and find where they are on the fretboard. That way you could avoid them. Since we are keeping it simple and keeping it within the pentatonic, this would help. :)

But excellent job overall. Expecting more improvs from you :)

Thanks for listening, encouraging and the tip, Bala.

Glad you liked the tone ... not that into RHCP but good company to be in :)

This being so simple, I know exactly where the bad notes were ... generally on the 6th fret and played when on a descending run.  Each one sounded bad as I struck it and was accompanied by a silent expletive :) 

More ... for sure ... this jamming is great fun.  I see there are a couple of other challenges already posted to jam over some of Justin's tracks, which will have to be done in due course.

Now looking forward to hearing your jam!

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2018, 04:35:17 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to play over the track, David :)

Great effort my friend; don’t worry much about mistakes, bad notes, hiccups, etc. We all do mistakes, if we don’t, we would never improve. The purpose of improvising is to develop sensitive ears, timing and feeling of the track. Well done and good vibes :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2018, 04:51:30 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to play over the track, David :)

Great effort my friend; don’t worry much about mistakes, bad notes, hiccups, etc. We all do mistakes, if we don’t, we would never improve. The purpose of improvising is to develop sensitive ears, timing and feeling of the track. Well done and good vibes :)

Thanks again Omar for taking the initiative and posting the track.  Your observations are spot on re the mistakes and certainly how I view things.  Look forward to the next one !!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App