Author Topic: noise from strings when sliding  (Read 673 times)

Offline clembo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
noise from strings when sliding
« on: September 23, 2018, 06:11:21 pm »
Hi
I have noticed that there is quite a lot of noise (is this some sort of acoustic feedback?) from the strings when sliding my fingers from 1 fret to another. Is this something that is to be expected from acoustic guitars and embraced? as I hear it in some professional recordings and its not something I experience with my electric. Or should I be lifting my fingers of the strings more when I slide and then press them back down again once in the new fret. I have just had my acoustic into my local shop for a set-up and re-string and its more noticeable with the new strings they are D'Adorria acoustic strings (cant remember the exact type), seem very nice and shinny though. ;D
keep on keeping on

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 112
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: noise from strings when sliding
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 07:33:34 pm »
Clembo

Pretty normal to get some slide noise on acoustic in my opinion and some would say its part of the character. Very much depends on the strings you use (more prominent on heavy gauges) and if you want to avoid it completely you will have to practice changing chords without sliding, as in place lift place, which is what Justin advocates at the start of the BC. Practice slowly then gradually build the speed of the chord changes, whilst avoiding the slide. This will sound cleaner but there will be times and songs when those drag sounds are really cool.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline clembo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: noise from strings when sliding
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 08:18:16 pm »
Thanks Toby, makes complete sense. Sort of what I was thinking.
keep on keeping on

Get The Forum As A Mobile App