Author Topic: I and Love and You - The Avett Brothers  (Read 665 times)

Online hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
I and Love and You - The Avett Brothers
« on: September 18, 2018, 11:02:11 pm »
My version of this great song by The Avett Brothers. I first discovered these guys about two years ago. They're from North Carolina and I just love their music. Their recording of this is very piano driven and I pick up the tempo for sure in my version. I actually play it a couple of different ways. Hope you like it and if you don't know The Avett Brothers, I encourage you to check them out.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Re: I and Love and You - The Avett Brothers
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 12:52:10 am »
That was lovely hilts. Your voice fits right into this song. I’ll definitely check the original as well as other songs from the Avett Brothers. And since it’s the first time I am able to see your face, you get some good vibes from me! (It’s mainly for your performance though :))

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 02:37:13 am »
Another fine offering, Hilts.  The Avett Brothers have a unique sound.  Even though the original is piano driven, you did a nice job of it here.  You are really looking comfortable playing and singing.  I, for one, am glad to see you posting on a more regular basis.  Keep 'em coming.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 04:54:20 am »
Great to hear and see you Hilts. Another easy, smile making listen, thanks for this.

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 10:58:33 am »
Hey hilts, nicely done :)
Thanks to you I was up half an hour longer than intended, because I had to listen to some of my favorite songs by The Avett Brothers again .. it's been too long ^^

Which are the other ways you play this song?

I'm looking forward to your next video :)

Online hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 02:23:49 pm »
@ Bala I think you will like them. They've been around quite some time and have quite a few albums released. I decided to sit further back from the camera this time. I only wear the glasses so I can see my music. Otherwise I'd struggle to get the lyrics right. LOL Thanks for the kind words Bala.

@ oldhead49 They do have a unique sound and I had to figure out my own way to play this song. Definitely the confidence is getting better now that this is my 3rd video I've posted. Thanks for listening and the kind words.

@ batwoman If I can bring a smile to your face with my music, then I'm happy too. Thanks for listening.

@ max Sorry to have kept you up later. LOL. Like you, once I start listening to their music, I just have to keep going till I've heard all my favourites. The other way I play this, is to slow it right down with just downstrums and I emphasise each line with a couple of extra strums to kind of emulate the piano. That works pretty well too. Thanks again for listening and I'm glad you liked it.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 03:00:11 pm »
@ Bala I think you will like them. They've been around quite some time and have quite a few albums released. I decided to sit further back from the camera this time. I only wear the glasses so I can see my music. Otherwise I'd struggle to get the lyrics right.

I'll check them out :)
And yea, I've gone through takes of several songs just because I forgot the lyrics. I understand the struggle.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 03:32:35 pm »
Good job! Strong and steady. Nice vocals and guitar tone. I'm not familiar with the Avett Brothers music, will have to give them a listen soon. Thanks for sharing and introducing some of us to new music. Good vibes go out to you, man!

Online hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 04:04:52 pm »
Good job! Strong and steady. Nice vocals and guitar tone. I'm not familiar with the Avett Brothers music, will have to give them a listen soon. Thanks for sharing and introducing some of us to new music. Good vibes go out to you, man!

Very much appreciated CT. It's always fun discovering new music from fellow musicians on forums like this. I'm a guy who grew up on late 60's and 70's rock. Never did I think I'd get into musicians like The Avett Brothers or Lucinda Williams, just to name a couple. A couple other songs in particular to check out are "True Sadness" and "Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise". The 2nd song is actually the first song of theirs I ever heard and I was hooked immediately. Thanks for the good vibes!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 226
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 04:52:44 pm »
Another fine performance, Hilts.  Your singing is so relaxed, well suited to the songs you are choosing to play.  And the playing is smooth and steady.  Always a pleasure to take a look and listen.

Offline kontenda

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 05:15:59 am »
Good job hilts, I am fan of the Avett Brothers - only became aware of them when the album with this song came out. Of all the Tiny Desk concerts I've watched I think theirs is the best. Their song "laundry room" is on my list to learn.

I think you give a good performance of this song, well sung, and steady rhythm throughout. Well done.

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 01:44:41 pm »
Another who is unfamiliar with the Avett Brothers! But via your introduction of them to Max and others they've came to my own attention and I'll be sure to check out some of their other stuff.

I love the story this song weaves but dare I say it feels a little bloated? :o

However, I really enjoyed your version. Everything just sounded solid if that makes sense.

Good vibes for the quality of your performance and introducing a new musical influence to a few of us.
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 5

Get The Forum As A Mobile App