Author Topic: Song For Lesley v2  (Read 614 times)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Song For Lesley v2
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:45:16 pm »
https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/song-for-lesley-180916

Hi there,

For those of you that don't also followe recordings posted as entries into the Monthly Competition, this is my entry for the current contest ... my first original song.

I also share my recordings with some other friends and colleagues who are not members of this Community...I have lost all self-consciousness now and will share with anybody who expresses the tiniest interest in hearing :)

My colleague Alida really enjoyed it ... high praise for me since she is a musician who has played gigs and even been paid.  Her feedback was that the chorus and bridge could be improved with some harmony vocals and that she'd love to sing them...harmony being something she loves to sing.  No worries, I said ... let's make it happen. 

So here's version 2 with Alida singing harmonies :)

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
    • SoundCloud
Re: Song For Lesley v2
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:27:54 pm »
Everything is so great about this song. The words, playing, vocals, mix, just everything (did I leave something out)! So much heart. Absolutely original, unique and heartfelt.

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 03:31:41 pm »
Everything is so great about this song. The words, playing, vocals, mix, just everything (did I leave something out)! So much heart. Absolutely original, unique and heartfelt.
Thanks Clint ... much appreciated :)  Really pleased with how the harmonies turned out ... certainly added some extra things to think about in the mixing.

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 59
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 06:15:02 pm »
A very good addition to a very good song :) Congrats again, and good to hear that you're not as afraid of sharing your work anymore: the more you share, the more feedback you get, the more you can improve.

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 09:34:41 pm »
David, unfortunately her voice is right in my deficit range so can barely hear her, but what I can hear sounds good.  Again, really nice work on this one. 

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:59:49 pm »
A very good addition to a very good song :) Congrats again, and good to hear that you're not as afraid of sharing your work anymore: the more you share, the more feedback you get, the more you can improve.

Thanks Fox, much appreciated.

David, unfortunately her voice is right in my deficit range so can barely hear her, but what I can hear sounds good.  Again, really nice work on this one. 

Thanks Dave. And her harmony was mixed to sit behind the lead vocal, softer in the mix, which can't have helped

Online Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 10:34:41 pm »
Nice addition David. Her harmonies are a very good touch. But I agree with Oldhead. Her harmonies should come out just a little bit. But an amazing song nonetheless! :)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 11:01:49 pm »
Nice addition David. Her harmonies are a very good touch. But I agree with Oldhead. Her harmonies should come out just a little bit. But an amazing song nonetheless! :)
Thanks Bala. Fair point on lifting harmony level a bit. I'll wait a bit, perhaps hear some more opinions and could post up another version.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 89
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 12:33:24 pm »
Hi David,
Very nice job on your first original. Wish mine had been as good. On my end my first was pretty pathetic.

Your writing, playing and singing here to my ears are very good indeed.

You shared this with me prior to posting here and it sounds like you made some nice improvements. Nice job on pulling in the piano and wrapping the guitar double tracking around it.

Overall the mix I find is quite nice and easy to listen too.

There is one area I know you worked on hard. That was the backing vocals. I see others think they should come up. Well I beg to go another direction. I would have left them here where you have them level wise for one reason. They are very much heavy in the reverb department. I understand these tracks were given to you wet, so you had little control there. If you could have had them dry and put a bit less verb on them, then I think for sure they could come up. Just my humble opinion mind you.

Keep up the good work and your next original might be hard pressed to surpass the nice job you did  here.

Rock on,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 02:53:58 pm »
Hi David,
Very nice job on your first original. Wish mine had been as good. On my end my first was pretty pathetic.

Your writing, playing and singing here to my ears are very good indeed.

You shared this with me prior to posting here and it sounds like you made some nice improvements. Nice job on pulling in the piano and wrapping the guitar double tracking around it.

Overall the mix I find is quite nice and easy to listen too.

There is one area I know you worked on hard. That was the backing vocals. I see others think they should come up. Well I beg to go another direction. I would have left them here where you have them level wise for one reason. They are very much heavy in the reverb department. I understand these tracks were given to you wet, so you had little control there. If you could have had them dry and put a bit less verb on them, then I think for sure they could come up. Just my humble opinion mind you.

Keep up the good work and your next original might be hard pressed to surpass the nice job you did  here.

Rock on,
LB

Thanks for giving this another spin and for providing thoughtful and encouraging feedback, LBro, as you always do.  I really appreciate it and can say again how much help you have given me on my journey, in general but especially when it comes to recording and mixing.

As for the next original, well I have a couple of ideas both on the theme/lyrical side and the chord progressions.  Will do my best not to get distracted/disrupted by worrying about the comparison with the first original.

Good vibes to you.

Offline Mike Sebastian P

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 05:24:27 pm »
Hello David, beautiful song, be sure to continue to write your songs,
my best congratulations on your first original song !!

Mike

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 09:19:30 pm »
Hello David, beautiful song, be sure to continue to write your songs,
my best congratulations on your first original song !!

Mike
Thanks very much, Mike, really appreciate you listening and the lovely comments.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 02:46:58 am »
David every time I give this beautiful piece of music a spin I get a rush of tears and delighted surprise. There's so much heart in this song. The timbre of your voice is perfect for a love song so true. Now I have my new headphones I'm hearing even more wondrous sounds, they make me gasp. The colours in my head just about make me pass out with bliss.

The harmony? There's a sound quality I find distracting and even unpleasant (sorry).  It's too much, too loud. It's like Alida is singing from the end of a long, echo filled tunnel. Is that called reverb? I think it's also a bit too loud when she's singing lyrics. There's also something about the tone of her voice, a brightness perhaps that doesn't sit well with me. To me it doesn't echo the heart I hear in your voice.  I'm looking for more warmth, depth. I think that can be changed with recording things??? What I'm hearing in my L headphone is more appealing.  The 'ooooooo' part works better for me, it's warmer, fuller.

I offer these comments with respect.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:14:25 am by batwoman »

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 06:25:44 am »
David every time I give this beautiful piece of music a spin I get a rush of tears and delighted surprise. There's so much heart in this song. The timbre of your voice is perfect for a love song so true. Now I have my new headphones I'm hearing even more wondrous sounds, they make me gasp. The colours in my head just about make me pass out with bliss.

The harmony? There's a sound quality I find distracting and even unpleasant (sorry).  It's too much, too loud. It's like Alida is singing from the end of a long, echo filled tunnel. Is that called reverb? I think it's also a bit too loud when she's singing lyrics. There's also something about the tone of her voice, a brightness perhaps that doesn't sit well with me. To me it doesn't echo the heart I hear in your voice.  I'm looking for more warmth, depth. I think that can be changed with recording things??? What I'm hearing in my L headphone is more appealing.  The 'ooooooo' part works better for me, it's warmer, fuller.

I offer these comments with respect.

You're so generous with your feedback, Maggie.  Always appreciate your comments.

On the harmony vocals, you are quite right about what you are hearing.  The dry recordings had reverb applied with a heavy hand, so to speak.  More than was to my taste.  Without going into details, it was what I received and I treated it as much as a learning experiment as trying to produce a song that sounds good.

What you are hearing on left side is the harmony line that was lower than the lead vocal.  There is another on the right side that is higher.  And on the final chorus section a third in the centre which is a different melody plus some oooohs. The bridge is all oooohs :)

I learned a lot doing this, in terms of the steps to take. For those interested ...

First I balanced all the harmony lines. All the harmony tracks were sent to a single track so once balanced it was a single fader to adjust the overall harmony level to balance with lead vocal.   Then balanced all the instruments.  Next step to get the vocals (lead and harmony) to sit well with the instruments.  Then some final tweaks.  Having so many vocal tracks certainly made it more interesting. 

In total I think there are about 18 tracks that make up this song.   I'm sure that is still relatively few but certainly enough that having a structured process to guide the mixing work is necessary.

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 31
    • YT-channel
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 08:41:41 am »
Hey David :)

I already told you in the competition section how much I like your song, but I have a similiar issue with the added vocals as Maggie.
It's a bit like a picture where some strokes were added with a new color. These new elements don't really fit in though they were supposed to - so the result is a contrast in the 'wrong place'. I hope this comparison makes sense somehow ;)

Since you haven't received a dry signal there's not much you can do about it, but I think the mix is fine :) The most important part is that you were able to learn a lot in the process :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App