Author Topic: Blackbird  (Read 299 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
  • It's all in the mind!
Blackbird
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:09:58 am »
https://youtu.be/FIswRzuzCj4

The song was easy to play. But surprisingly very difficult to sing along too (just the "blackbird fly" part). Had to do so many retakes to sound decent. And then I realize I sang "knife" instead of "life" in the first verse (I know right!). Hope you guys like it. I have 3 more songs planned for this weekend.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 146
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Blackbird
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 07:21:46 am »
Pretty god job of that one, Bala.

Not much I can say about your performance ... you move up and done pretty effortlessly, sounded pretty clean most of the time (maybe a few notes not ringing quite as clear as they might, but only a few) and the singing was full of feeling.

"easy to play" you say ... well I guess that would be easy for some :)  In due course I'll be able to play all those shapes up and down the fretboard finger-style, but not this year :) 

Hope life flows according to plan and we receive some more songs before the weekend is done ...

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:36:21 am »
Pretty god job of that one, Bala.

Not much I can say about your performance ... you move up and done pretty effortlessly, sounded pretty clean most of the time (maybe a few notes not ringing quite as clear as they might, but only a few) and the singing was full of feeling.

"easy to play" you say ... well I guess that would be easy for some :)  In due course I'll be able to play all those shapes up and down the fretboard finger-style, but not this year :) 

Hope life flows according to plan and we receive some more songs before the weekend is done ...

Thank you for the listen and feedback David. I think I did a mistake when I said, "easy to play". My sincere apologies! I learnt this song a long time ago and have been practising quite a bit in recent times. So the chord shapes and the movement is easy... ONLY when compared to singing along, especially the "blackbird fly" part. I should've practiced the vocals together with the guitar. Lesson learnt! Still can't move about without looking at the fretboard! :D

And another thing I have to mention is that I was initially trying to play it at 120 bpm it was only for the last two takes that I realized that the original recording was at 96 bpm. Probably why I was able to move smoothly :D

Good catch with the notes that didn't ring out. With these chord shapes, it's only a matter of moving the fingers around a little bit. I definitely need to watch out and be more careful during live performances. Definitely need more practice with precision.

Thank you once again for the feedback David! And yes three more songs is the plan! I wanted to do 3 yesterday and 1 today. So no promises :D However, blackbird's not it for the week. That's for sure!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 146
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:46:54 am »
Thank you for the listen and feedback David. I think I did a mistake when I said, "easy to play". My sincere apologies!
Always a pleasure to listen to your performances, Bala.

No need to apologise, took it in good spirit and made sure my comment had  " :)" behind it to show my comment was light-hearted in spirit.  Easiness is such a relative thing :)

So am I right, that you posted that reply in the middle of the night? 

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:53:38 am »
Always a pleasure to listen to your performances, Bala.

No need to apologise, took it in good spirit and made sure my comment had  " :)" behind it to show my comment was light-hearted in spirit.  Easiness is such a relative thing :)

So am I right, that you posted that reply in the middle of the night?

Very true what you said about easiness being relative. I think comfortable would be a better choice of word.
Sometimes songs seem easy but are hard to play and some other times, it's the other way around.

And you're right again! It is the middle of the night. But during the weekends, I'd say the night's still young :D

I'd gladly play now actually if not for being in an apartment. My downstairs neighbor came knocking last week to tone it down at night (it was only 9 pm though :/) so I gave myself and my guitars a curfew. :D

Offline Guitar_65riff

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 08:25:35 am »
https://youtu.be/FIswRzuzCj4

The song was easy to play. But surprisingly very difficult to sing along too (just the "blackbird fly" part). Had to do so many retakes to sound decent. And then I realize I sang "knife" instead of "life" in the first verse (I know right!). Hope you guys like it. I have 3 more songs planned for this weekend.
I love this. Yes you struggled a bit but hey, you're playing the harder version of blackbird AND singing! I admire you for even putting it out there for us to watch. I struggle to play anything in front of people. I have zero confidence even though I have been told I play well. Well done!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 08:40:02 am »
I love this. Yes you struggled a bit but hey, you're playing the harder version of blackbird AND singing! I admire you for even putting it out there for us to watch. I struggle to play anything in front of people. I have zero confidence even though I have been told I play well. Well done!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thank you for listening and the positive feedback. I used to not put these out either however with all the support and encouragement I get in this forum, I quite enjoy posting recordings here now. It really helps me be motivated and I can feel myself improving. Confidence comes with your second post :) so I would suggest you to start posting!

Online Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 48
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 09:41:49 am »
Really good job with the finger picking, and you have a good voice too.
If singing whilst strumming is hard, I take it must be even harder with finger picking! Good job :)

Offline max_mue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 10:36:12 am »

And you're right again! It is the middle of the night. But during the weekends, I'd say the night's still young :D

was that a hint?  ;)

Nice work Bala! I agree with you that it's very hard to sing along, I think you did the last part especially well :)

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 10:55:26 am »
Nice job on this one. Picking and singing along sounded really nice to my ears. One of these days I'll pause the strumming and attempt some finger picking myself.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline CT

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 03:43:39 pm »
That was a good performance all the way around! Nice mix too. Love the songs about birds. :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 04:05:58 pm »
Great performance, ok a few places where you were struggling an itsy bit but not enough to detract from the whole thing!
Exceptionally well done, good vibes!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 08:20:03 pm »
I agree, nice performance. This is one I applaud for singing and playing at the same time. I believe tracking the guitar and vocal separately would clean up any minor struggles, or just more practice. Nice job of it.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 09:32:04 pm »
@everyone Thank you for listening and commenting once again! You guys are just Fab!

@fox It depends on the song really. I've usually found singing along when finger picking is a lot easier than picking out notes with a pick and singing. But that again depends on the song and most of the time sloppy picking works. With Blackbird, on top of fingerpicking, you have to move around the fretboard and sing. So for some parts, it was a challenge (most part). Just didn't expect it to be. That's how it with Beatles songs. They seem easy but are not. Thank you for your positive comments. :)

@max haha yup that was a hint. ;) Let me know for what though :D Thank you Max! :)

@hilts you should definitely give fingerpicking a shot. I often tend to ditch my picks altogether when I play a bunch of songs together. It's really fun. But the drawback is a little bit of volume gets compromised. Thank you for the comments :)

@CT thank you for the comments. There are quite a few birds songs too! :)

@darrell Thank you Darrell. I saw some of my other takes and the struggle was real! Couldn't even sing to pitch.

@oldhead I'm planning on recording separate tracks for all the songs I do Oldhead. However, I need to practice and get this right too! I really want to start gigging live soon. Thank you for the comments.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 70
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 05:53:57 am »
Good job Balamuthiah, thanks for this.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App