Author Topic: How to care for your guitar?  (Read 607 times)

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
How to care for your guitar?
« on: September 09, 2018, 01:33:47 pm »
As a new guitar owner I'm not sure how to care for my guitar properly. She (for some reason it' a she) came in a hard case. If I'm away for a few days what's the best way to store the case? Flat or like a suitcase upright on the long side?

Is it ok to lean her against my sofa? I tried a guitar stand but my flat has thick carpet throughout and the floorboards bend a lot. I returned the stand because this looked too wobbly.

Cleaning? Body and neck are finished with nitrocellulose lacquer apparently.

How often does a guitar need maintenance, and how do I know?

Thanks a lot helping out a complete newby

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
Re: How to care for your guitar?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 03:17:27 pm »
Avoid leaning your guitar against anything like a wall or sofa when not in the case. If it slips, or is knocked, then the fall could easily damage the neck and/or headstock. A guitar stand is OK. If a floor stand is too wobbly, try a wall hanging bracket.

In a case, obviously such a fall would not be so bad, depending on how well the case protects the guitar. I would still avoid putting it in a position where it could fall though.

Aside from that, it really won't matter how you store it if it's only for a few days. Put it in the case if you fell better about it, but on a decent guitar stand or hanger is just as good.

The only reasons I can see to put it in the case are:

1 - if you are in an extreme temperature/humidity environment and your case has humidity control (and the probably really only matters for acoustic guitars)

2 - to protect it from potential damage from pets or other humans in the house.

I'm a big fan of keeping guitars nearby in a stand rather than in cases, as they are far more likely to be played that way.

For longer term storage, a hard case makes some sense, but lie it down or stand it up as is most convenient to store it. Any way is fine.

As for maintenance, apart from string changes and the occasional setup tweak, and keeping it generally clean, there's not a great deal needed.

Giving the strings a quick wipe down after you've played might extend their life by a few weeks.

Maybe once a year during a string change, take the opportunity to give the body, fretboard, and frets a bit of a clean with suitable cleaners (or just a general wipe around to remove dust and finger grease), and oil the fretboard (as long as it's not a maple one) at most every year (or less).

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 04:59:04 pm »
Thanks a lot for your opinion, Keith. The reason for putting it in the hardcase when I'm away is mostly dusk. This place is really dusty. I was wondering whether storing an electric guitar sideways in a case might somehow damage the neck. But that's the only way I can store it as I seriously lack space here.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 05:41:06 pm »
Thanks a lot for your opinion, Keith. The reason for putting it in the hardcase when I'm away is mostly dusk. This place is really dusty. I was wondering whether storing an electric guitar sideways in a case might somehow damage the neck. But that's the only way I can store it as I seriously lack space here.

It shouldn't do as long as the case is supporting it properly (i.e. it fits the case). If the guitar came with the hard case then, presumably, it fits it pretty well.

I have a generic hard case which fits one of my guitars very well, and the others well enough to transport safely, but I wouldn't want to keep them in it for storage.

Also, if it's only to get it out the way between playing, then any orientation in the hard case should be fine.

Frankly guitars, especially electric guitars, are a lot tougher than some people give them credit for.

Regarding keeping it propped up against the sofa, I'm surprised you consider that to be safer/more stable than a proper guitar stand. I guess it depends on the sofa and how you are positioning it. If it's genuinely quite safe and stable in the position, and it's not going to be knocked over or slip off, or be knocked heavily then it's probably OK.

The biggest warning against propping it against the wall or a bit of furniture is not really to do with the angles or stresses on the neck in the position. It's primarily because, in those positions, the guitar tends to be vulnerable to being knocked over.

If you are happy that it won't be, and if that is the preferred location which makes you play it more, then by all means do it.

However, if the headstock is leaning against something then this *could* be damaged if the guitar is bumped even if it doesn't fall over. Guitar stands tend to support the guitar by the neck, which is usually quite strong, rather than the headstock which, relatively, is easily damaged.

Above all else, the most care you can show to a guitar is to play it regularly, and if keeping it in the case prevents that in any way, then it's counterproductive.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 06:59:14 pm »
The only thing I can add to what Keith has said is to know what the
relative humidity is in your house. If you live in a dry area you may need
a humidifier. If you live in an area where dryness is not a problem then
you don't need to worry about it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App