Author Topic: 004- 2018 Just a Minute, Justin  (Read 1141 times)

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 102
004- 2018 Just a Minute, Justin
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 09:18:51 pm »
Brian, you the man!! Nice one. I really enjoy listening to and reading your posts. But I really like seeing your progress. Keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Alex6strings

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
Re: 004- 2018 Just a Minute, Justin
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 10:02:47 pm »
Alex6strings:
Welcome to the forum  :)
Glad to make you smile (although surprised you can still relate  ;))
I automatically presumed you were a newbie as well as new, then I had a listen to your Heaintheavy piece and was bowled over.
Quite beautiful. likes n- vibes  :)

Thanks Brian.  I have been at this a while but the journey continues to be full of joy, frustration, excitement and new discoveries, that doesn't change.   Your song described all those things nicely which is why it is very relate-able.   Coming across one of Justins 'rut buster' videos brought me to the forum and i'm glad I came, thanks for the welcome. 
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 12:56:16 am »
Mr. Bumble and Batwoman:
Thanks both for your kind comments-
(The evil side of me thinks it should be ok for you to leave not-so-hidden barbs in remarks, but perhaps it's good to have this little sanctuary?  ;))

Um Brian, I'm not sure what you mean?  I always endeavor to make me comments encouraging and kind.

Offline brianlarsen

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 06:53:09 am »
Um Brian, I'm not sure what you mean?  I always endeavor to make me comments encouraging and kind.
Profuse apologies, Batwoman  :-[
Everyone on this forum is exactly that: positive, encouraging and kind  :)
I'm just not that used to it.
The evil side of ME often likes to tease/prod etc. (never in a malign way, of course); 
I have really enjoyed my time on this site so far and look forward to more of the same  :)
Cheers

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 03:33:56 pm »
Hey Brian. Another entertaining post!  Love watching your journey. Such smart and witty lyrics. Such personality!  Loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline brianlarsen

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 04:11:31 pm »
Love watching your journey.

Thanks pkboo3  :)

I reckon I have as much fun writing and performing my own little ditties as the pros!
I hope I have the will-power to keep on truckin'  ;)

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 02:37:18 pm »
Brian
Obviously the key to presenting a song is confidence cos you've got it in spades. Great lyrical ability as well and with those two ingredients, any mistakes you might make in your playing don't really get noticed.
Really top notch effort!
Neil

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 02:51:45 am »
I’m very very sorry for the very very late reply. Your song was very cool. It had very pleasant nostalgic vibe to it that only certain songs have given me. You sang about a minute with Justin but I hope you get an hour (not that I didn’t like the other entries. In my opinion I want all of you to win!) :)

Offline brianlarsen

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 11:33:50 am »
You sang about a minute with Justin but I hope you get an hour

Thanks for listening and the positive comments Balamuthiah- much appreciated!  :)

The 'minute' I was looking for, was just for him to listen to my song- (see, I lied about the time too  ;))
... with a bit of thank you/ stalking/ hero-worship thrown in  :P

Gotta have fun!

Offline kontenda

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2018, 05:26:51 am »
Great song Brian, fantastic lyrics (tabs and Leary - nice one!). Really enjoy your performances - I think your own enjoyment shines through and makes it a pleasure to watch and listen.

Offline brianlarsen

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2018, 02:36:09 pm »
Thanks for the lovely comments, Kontenda  :)
Even though I do this for my own entertainment, it makes me smile when others get my puns.
I am having a ball  ;D

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 397
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 09:09:15 pm »
Hey Brian - you definitely have the knack for penning some puns, for writing some witticisms, for hanging out in the humour halls, for giving us some giggles.
The key aspect to making this (and your previous recordings work) is the self-deprecation, the warmth of delivery and the honest, open way in which you invite us to share your learning path, your progress and your limitations in a very human and captivating way.
On the technical side I see a strumming arm that stops after you have strummed the accented first beat down strum. Try to develop a fluid pendulum like motion in your forearm that moves fluidly up-down, up-down, up-down. Most of your chord shapes are sounding clean and true … a few mis-hits but nothing to fret too much about at this stage (pun intended). As mentioned, you are playing an accented strum pattern which is good, and you have a small section with some palm mutes so you are developing and using the idea of playing a song with a mixture of dynamics. Good. Look to develop that further - enhancing the climb up to an elevated chorus before coming back down to earth (echoing the lyrical content) in the verse with some quieter, less insistent strum patterns and strength.

You're on the right path. :)

Offline brianlarsen

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 10:33:10 am »
Hi Close2u,

This was a joy to read this morning  :)

I was about to launch into a long thank you for your lovely remarks and helpful critique, but got side-tracked into areas of the forum less frequented by me.

I read your ‘September’ post and am humbled and touched by your willingness to share your gifts so generously with those you know and complete strangers alike.

Thank you and good luck with all your new endeavours  :)

Back to business-
Glad you enjoyed the concept.
I think all of us beginners are aware of the multitude of things we do wrong and need to improve, but it’s invaluable to have signposts and nudges as to which areas we should concentrate on.

I related to your strumming comments on David’s & Roland’s songs about striving for the steady rhythm/beat only to be discover we’re supposed to mix it up.

I think it’s time for me to learn songs… (and practise  ;))

We are all on the right path!

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 09:38:46 am »
ha ha - very cool... you're doing great :) songs is fun and you're playing well... the end made me chuckle!

One thing to work on is to get that strumming hand moving a little more evenly - watch it with the sound off and then think about trying to make the arm move consistently all the time and just choose where it strums!

Doing really well and look forward to hearing more!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline brianlarsen

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 02:15:11 pm »
ha ha - very cool... you're doing great :) songs is fun and you're playing well... the end made me chuckle!

One thing to work on is to get that strumming hand moving a little more evenly - watch it with the sound off and then think about trying to make the arm move consistently all the time and just choose where it strums!

Goodness-  just realised I never acknowledged our sensei's pearls...  :-[ ;)
Thanks again for taking the time to listen and offer suggestions.
You can never chuckle too much in life!
Consistent strumming, here I come  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App