Author Topic: Recommended Electric Guitars for Beginners  (Read 1473 times)

Offline 15learningLate

• Good Vibes 0
Recommended Electric Guitars for Beginners
« on: September 04, 2018, 07:57:13 pm »
I went to the topic, "Tips for Buying Electric Guitar" under Tools of the Trade>>Electric Guitars written by TB AV.

Dan Graves wrote the article which was written 5-26-2009.  I want to know if an updated list is available.  When I clicked Reply, I received this message:  "Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days. Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."  So, I'm starting a new topic.

Can a moderator or a knowledgeable forum member view Dan's post and see if it should be updated with new recommendations?  This will be my first  purchase of an electric guitar.

Also, Are there any reliable and unbiased websites that evaluate electric guitars and make their recommendations based upon their research such as a top 10 list for 2018.

Thank you for your help!

Online Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
Re: Recommended Electric Guitars for Beginners
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 08:48:19 pm »
I think Dan would be happy (if that's a thing) to update it.

Truth is nobody is unbiased. Best you can do is watch and read critically. Everybody will love their guitar whether it's good or bad. Something like post-purchase justification.

The most unbiased person I can think of is Phillip McKnight since he no longer owns a guitar store and has seen a lot of guitars. A bit like Dan, actually.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 01:13:04 am »

From my experience here over many years Dan is a reliable source when it comes to kit, so trust that old link. From my knowledge he worked as a guitar tech in a number of places and knows what he's talking about but he always provides a balanced view to questions asked. Just my 2 centime  / euro.
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 397
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 07:21:50 am »
Not much has changed in the time since that thread was started.

Harley Benton at the budget end perhaps.

What country are you in, what is your budget, what music do you get inspired by / want to play?

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 07:27:13 am »
For me, my beginner guitar was the Yamaha Pacifica. Cheap (well, just around 200€ where i live) and for me, a solid basis to begin with.
But, it's always a good idea to go to a shop and try several guitars. Hold and play them, and ofcourse, look at the price tag. 

Have a talk with the people in the shop. They (hopefully) can help you  too in finding a good guitar to start with.

Hope this helps.
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 04:37:45 pm »
My recommendation for a first guitar would be a tele or t-type knockoff from just about any reasonable brand (knowing what I know now). Some good ones can be had brand new in the $100-$200 (US) price range. I can personally vouch for the monoprice.com offerings.

EDIT: I have a number of Monoprice tele sound samples on my Soundcloud.   

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 07:59:52 pm »
I don't pretend to be unbiased. That said, my recommendation would be a made-in-Mexico Fender Telecaster. Two pickups, hard-tail, three-way switch. The classic version will have single coils, but if you prefer humbuckers you can get it with humbuckers.

It's a workhorse guitar with great versatility. Setup and maintenance is easy (no trem, no springs, no locking nut). You won't get option overload. It's a quality instrument without being too expensive.

Offline 8livesleft

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 01:53:39 am »
For me, my beginner guitar was the Yamaha Pacifica. Cheap (well, just around 200€ where i live) and for me, a solid basis to begin with.
But, it's always a good idea to go to a shop and try several guitars. Hold and play them, and ofcourse, look at the price tag. 

Have a talk with the people in the shop. They (hopefully) can help you  too in finding a good guitar to start with.

Hope this helps.
Yup

Of all the strat-like models at this range, this is definitely the one to get.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App