Author Topic: Nut Width. Stick with 2 or 1.68/1.75?  (Read 332 times)

Offline learis

• Good Vibes 0
Nut Width. Stick with 2 or 1.68/1.75?
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:13:31 pm »
Hello, I'm very new to acoustic guitar and the guitar in general (a week into it). I'm learning for my church. Right now I'm using my mom's old acoustic guitar. It has a 2" nut width. When she's asleep though I also have a cheap electric guitar which I practice on while it's unplugged so it makes very little noise. This one has a nut width around 1.68". I can definitely tell the difference between the two in spacing.

I was surprised when I looked on sweetwater.com at accoustic guitars and the overwhelming majority of them have the smaller nutwidths (1.68 or 1.75). Only a couple had nut widths around 2".

Is the 2" nutwidth considered outdated now and is this 1.68 and 1.75 considered the normal standard for accoustics? Is there pluses and minuses to using either? My thought is that maybe I should learn accoustic with a 1.68 nut width so that way it will be much easier to transition to electric guitars since most of them have that nut width (this is for down the future though. I'm solely focused on the accoustic right now)

Edit: I'm a noob. Just found out that I have a classical guitar which is why it's 2" nut width while the typical acoustic steel string guitars have the smaller width. Didn't realize there were two completely different categories for acoustic guitars.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 11:49:00 pm by learis »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 408
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Nut Width. Stick with 2 or 1.68/1.75?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:20:36 am »
Welcome to the forum learis.
Yes, nylon strung classical have the extra width you have discovered and they have flat fingerboards too.
You can learn on them just fine but they feel and play

Get The Forum As A Mobile App