Author Topic: Strumming Down - UP Pattern  (Read 252 times)

Offline dbayonacode

• Good Vibes 0
Strumming Down - UP Pattern
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:33:24 am »
Hi all, I am new here, I just started with beginners course a few weeks ago and i am really happy how i have progressed with this course.
Bur I have come across with my first question, I am trying to play Dance The night Away by the Mavericks and I really would like to do the Down-Up strumming pattern Justin is doing in there. My question is:
When I am strumming up Should I play the same strings from the chord?, let's say i am playing D chord down, so i will play #4 - #3 -#2 - #1 strings, so the strumming up would be #1 - #2 - #3 until #4 again?. I can not see in the video clearly that this is what actually is happening, it seems he is just playing the  #1 string when strumming up. Can someone confirm that for me please? Thanks.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Re: Strumming Down - UP Pattern
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 10:36:51 pm »
You should play the same strings on the upstrum as you played on the downstrum. Later on in the course you may start to play different strings on the down / upstrum.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline dbayonacode

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 01:53:26 pm »
Thanks for your answer. Alright, it is clear but not easy, my pick just get stuck when strumming up in the middle of the way before playing all the strings. i guess i will need to continue practising. 

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 03:04:43 pm »
What is the thickness of the pick you are using? If it is a thick one, you may benefit by using a thinner pick when first starting out. For example, Justin recommends starting with a .46 mm thick pick.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline dbayonacode

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 02:32:33 pm »
Thanks hilts17. I have changed the pick and it seems to be helpful.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App