Author Topic: Help! My volume's dropping  (Read 689 times)

Offline egel557

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Help! My volume's dropping
« on: August 27, 2018, 12:50:16 am »
I have my guitar running through irig2 into my macbook with amplitube. While playing, the volume suddenly drops. When i stop for a second then start again, it goes back to normal then drops again after a while. I tested this with two different cables and it happens in both.

I thought it might have been a problem with amplitube so i tried it with garageband since i've never had that problem there before. But my volume still drops.

My dad said it could be my laptop. Since irig2 goes into the mic input my laptop could be compressing my signal. But doesnt that mean i shouldnt get loud volumes? What happens is i get loud volumes that suddenly drop.

So all that's left is my guitar electronics. Any other ideas before i grab a multimeter to test my electronics? I have a hollowbody so it's gonna be a pain to take the electronics out. I'd like to see if the problem could be somewhere else before i go through that hassle.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline egel557

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Help! My volume's dropping
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 12:54:14 am »
Also i just realized that the problem could also be with my irig, but since i dont have an amp right now, i have no way of testing it.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 01:40:24 am »
I'd suspect the iRig or laptop before the guitar's hardware, if there was an issue with the pickups or wiring it would either cut out entirely or have a constant low output.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline egel557

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 02:40:40 am »
I'd suspect the iRig or laptop before the guitar's hardware, if there was an issue with the pickups or wiring it would either cut out entirely or have a constant low output.
Yeah it did baffle me since there was a pattern to the volume drop instead of having a constanly low output. But i've never had a problem doing it like this before so i doubt my laptop's got anything to do with it (unless godforbid something broke inside it. Highly doubt it though). So i guess the irig's the primary suspect then. Throwing my stuff around wasn't a good idea after all.

Offline Styrr

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 04:02:53 pm »
Agreed, it's probably not the guitar electronics.
It may be the output jack playing up, but suspect it is too consistent to be that. you won't be able to rule that out unless you have another way of amplifying the signal.

Ny best guess is tha it could be anyone of the below

1) Connections. Input jack or out put jack on the irig or the mic input jack on the mac. As you have tried different cables. Then the connections between the irig and laptop could be suspect. Again the problem sounds too consitent to be that.

2) the irig. can you monitor the output from this via headphones ? If so then try it (assuming you have headphones with a 3.5mm jack) Not sure what the irig is doing other than providing an amount of gain. It should work on an IPAD/Iphone even on a PC with the right app on it. If so try that.

and lastly
3) The laptop. It isn't compressing the signal. Its converting the analogue signal into a digital one - an ADC . Conversely you are hearing it because it's converting the signal back into analogue - a DAC.

If you can try the into another device that should hopefully rule out the laptop.

Another trial could be try reducing the gain on the irig and see if that changes anything. (it may well be that what you are getting cliiping and the ADC isn't handlling that well and shuts down.

Anyway just my thoughts - good luck on solving it.

take care
Styrr

“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I cannot accept not trying.”
Michael Jordan

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 05:31:19 pm »
Any chance that your laptop goes into some sort of powersave mode causing this?
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 04:20:36 am »
Are you using a noise gate on amplitube?

If the signal drops below a certain theshold  it will treat it as noise and you will get a an abrupt drop in volume.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App