Author Topic: What is the difference between an electronic guitar pickup and a speaker?  (Read 294 times)

Offline Annaa

• Good Vibes 0
What is the difference between an electronic guitar pickup and a speaker?

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Annaa

In simple terms the magnets in the pick ups, "pick up" the vibrations of the strings, which are then passed to an amplifier and made much louder. So ignoring all the possibilities of tone and added effects, the amplified sound waves are then passed to the speaker on order for the sound to be heard. Same process as a microphone used by a singer. Mic picks vibration/sound waves from the signer, passes to amp, made louder, passed to speaker for your pleasure.

As I say basic non technical answer ............... and hopefully right  ;)

Cheers

Toby
 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
The simple answer is: a guitar pickup isn't anything like a loudspeaker, and a loudspeaker isn't anything like a guitar pickup.

They are two entirely different things and this should be pretty obvious to anyone who uses them both.

Why anyone would compare the two is puzzling to me.

As I say basic non technical answer ............... and hopefully right  ;)

Basically correct, although a microphone converts sound waves to electrical signals, whist a pickup converts electromagnetic waves into electrical signals.

The electromagnetic waves occur when you move an electrical wire through a magnetic field. in this respect, a guitar pickup has more in common with an electrical generator (converting motion to electricity) than a microphone or speaker.

Although they use many of the same fundamental principals, they are completely different things. To understand the differences full requires some understanding of electronics.

As I say, it puzzles me why anyone would compare the two.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 387
  • Teesside, North East England.
I'm completely baffled too. A most baffling question that literally makes no sense.

I was tempted to say one is input and the other is output. But even that is to equate them too closely.

Keith has it just right.

There are no stupid questions.
But it seems there are questions whose origin is utterly bewildering.

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
I'm completely baffled too. A most baffling question that literally makes no sense.

I was tempted to say one is input and the other is output. But even that is to equate them too closely.

Keith has it just right.

There are no stupid questions.
But it seems there are questions whose origin is utterly bewildering.

Glad it wasn't just me, so my response at a very basic level.

Annaa, would be nice to know what made you ask ?
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline CT

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
    • SoundCloud
Some of us are rather unkind, for whatever reasons. <sigh>

@Annaa, there are some truly awesome people here. Feel free to send me an IM if you wish. There may be others that would like to step forward and offer the same.

Offline crashbuggy

• Good Vibes 0
What is the difference between an electronic guitar pickup and a speaker?
Thanks for asking your question annaa, I learnt from the replies even if the tone of some of them were needlessly unfriendly.

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
Some great examples of virtue signalling right there!

Regarding the OP, they are exhibiting some strange behaviour on these forums. They have (so far) posted 4 separate questions, all of which have been rather strange in one way or another.

And whilst the OP has, apparently, been back to the forums and has continued to ask questions, they've not responded to or otherwise followed up on, responses that people have provided to their previous posts.

As a former moderator of a large and popular forum, this sets my spidey-senses tingling.

I recall that, on their original posts the OP had a signature containing a link to an online parts distributor, which I assume was removed by mods.

I'm beginning to suspect this account is  just a link spammer.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 387
  • Teesside, North East England.
Spot on Keith.

Annaa has asked four very 'strange' questions and never once returned to follow up on the advice offered.

Annaa did have what looked like a 'spam' link in his / her signature so it has been deleted.

Annaa has been sent a direct personal message by the moderator team to ask about their posts and the link and has so far failed to respond.

The spam-alert spidey-senses are tingling in several forum members.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App