Author Topic: Chocolate Jesus  (Read 787 times)

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: Chocolate Jesus
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 12:13:59 am »
Hi,
Never heard this one so it was all the better I heard what you did. Very good to my ear all the way around. Nice tone on that guitar, good voice intonations. Sounds like you had fun doing this fun song. Yeah I guess I can say it was sweet to my ears! lol

You take care and keep hanging upside down rocking on!
LB

Thanks for your comments LB, I did have a lot of fun with this song. Hanging upside down ha ha you cheeky lad  :D  It's a Tom Waits song.

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 12:14:50 am »
Wow! Nice song and excellent performance. Love the chord progression and the way you sing it. Absolutely flawless.

That's really kind of you Balamuthiah. There are many flaws, I assure you  :)

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 12:15:22 am »
Wonderful vocals and strumming. Well done batwoman :)

Thankyou Omar. Hope you're enjoying your new gitar.

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 12:16:43 am »
OMG!!!
What a great way to start Sunday morning - absolutely stunning performance - well deserved good vibes!!!

Aw gee, so nice of you Darrell. Laughter can be a good way to ease your pain and I find this song very funny. I laugh inside every time I sing 'pour him over icecream like a nice parfait'

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 12:17:29 am »
Excellent! Perfect choice of song for a Sunday ;D

Thankyou Fox, next I'll play a bass accompaniment  :)

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 12:18:25 am »
Loved it!! It's a fantastic interpretation of a favourite of mine.

Thankyou Scu8a8uddy I'm glad my interpretation didn't spoil your enjoyment of the song.

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 12:22:13 am »
I have to echo all the comments shared already, Batwoman, absolutely delightful and a joy to listen to that. 

Based on that ...

We need to hear more, don't want to wait as long for the next one as we've had to wait since you posted that song about somebody's hassles to the tune of the Froggy Went A Wooing, as I recall.  Please keep them coming as you polish your repertoire.

The way you are recording is just fine ... the levels and tone of voice and guitar were great just as you are doing it.  No need to worry about getting more involved in the recording/mixing side of things.

Cedar sounds wonderful ... Three cheers to Luthier Pete.  But we also know that much of the sound and tone comes from the way the player is playing ... so Three cheers to Guitarist Batwoman.

Especially noticed the accents, variety and feeling coming through in both the way you played and the singing.

And lastly ...

The people who you are collaborating with back home, playing the bass, the duo ... they are blessed to have you in the mix (excuse the pun!).

You have been so generous to me and others in your comments, helping us to overcome our own doubts ... I hope we can now all play a small part in helping you to appreciate your own abilities ... significant they are !!

Wow what a memory you have David. You're so very generous in finding the detail and celebrating it. Thanks for the comments about recording, I think you know what a resistance I have to it.  Cedar is a fine instrument and playing her really helps me lift my game. Three cheers to Pete the luthier indeed.

There will be a next one, don't know when though.

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 12:24:55 am »
Batwoman, I've been waiting to hear you and Cedar for what seems like a long time, but must say it was well worth the wait.  That guitar must be a blast to play.   Really great music coming from it, great tone, really nice strumming with muting and letting it ring.  Your voice is so on pitch and alive, it's a pleasure listening to.  I think you should spread your wings and give Roman a PM.  ;D  This was just too cool.  Thanks for posting, and please post more soon!

Thankyou Dave, I'm glad my dulcet tones didn't hurt your ears. Knowing what an elegant, experienced, skillful, beautiful musician and singer you are, your comments about my simple song mean a lot to me. Thankyou for your generosity.

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 12:25:48 am »
Yeah! That was just so good! What a delivery, and your voice is enchanting. Excellent rhythm, too. Loved it!

Lynne, thanks so much for your comments. You are such an awesome musician this means a lot to me.

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 12:26:26 am »
Nice vocals, batwoman. Great skills! Hope to hear more from you soon.

Thankyou Pam of the beautiful voice.

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 08:00:12 am »
Stunning performance, I must say its one of the best in AVOYP I ever heard. Good vibes!
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline brianlarsen

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 10:04:19 am »
Congrats on this Batwoman  :)

Big Time ;) fan of Mr. Waits here, so had a look at Justin’s lesson on this piece I think in week 2!

I’m still not fluent with the 4/4 strumming but couldn’t resist test-driving his recommended strumming pattern and even trying the base note picking. It’s only an eight-minute song in my current repertoire... sigh.
You have done a tremendous job on this with really nice variation in strumming and slow strum (?) in the bridge.
I’m glad you chose not to try to replicate the gravely voice in the original ;)

A couple of questions:
Do you have the capo on the second fret? I play it without, but found that Justin’s recommendation of putting it on the 6th sounded awful with the accompanying video. It took me quite a while to figure out that it’s a different key to the album, which works fine on the sixth. I think that live performance is up around the 10th fret.

I also enjoyed being able to pick up subtle differences like switching low-high to high-low in the baseline.
This was not only enjoyable to listen to, but quite a helpful exercise for my progress as well.

Thanks

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 10:24:38 am »
Stunning performance, I must say its one of the best in AVOYP I ever heard. Good vibes!

Thankyou Johan, you heap such praise on my little song. There are so many here who post amazing music, I don't consider myself to be one. I will however, accept your very kind words with gratitude and a big smile on my face.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:13:43 am by batwoman »

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 10:27:50 am »
Congrats on this Batwoman  :)

Big Time ;) fan of Mr. Waits here, so had a look at Justin’s lesson on this piece I think in week 2!

I’m still not fluent with the 4/4 strumming but couldn’t resist test-driving his recommended strumming pattern and even trying the base note picking. It’s only an eight-minute song in my current repertoire... sigh.
You have done a tremendous job on this with really nice variation in strumming and slow strum (?) in the bridge.
I’m glad you chose not to try to replicate the gravely voice in the original ;)

A couple of questions:
Do you have the capo on the second fret? I play it without, but found that Justin’s recommendation of putting it on the 6th sounded awful with the accompanying video. It took me quite a while to figure out that it’s a different key to the album, which works fine on the sixth. I think that live performance is up around the 10th fret.

I also enjoyed being able to pick up subtle differences like switching low-high to high-low in the baseline.
This was not only enjoyable to listen to, but quite a helpful exercise for my progress as well.

Thanks

Thankyou for your comments Brian. Yes I played this with capo on the 2nd fret. I sometimes sing it with no capo, just depends on how my voice is on the day and on the kind of sound and mood I want. Having a guitar as beautiful as Cedar makes playing so joyous. Her bass response was crafted just for me as Pete the luthier knows how much I love those deep sounds. Glad I've been able to contribute to your progress in a small way.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 01:16:17 pm »
I never heard this before. But, I really liked it. Your strumming and vocals are really, really good. Nice job!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Get The Forum As A Mobile App