Author Topic: Morning Glory (Tim Buckley)  (Read 445 times)

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 19
Morning Glory (Tim Buckley)
« on: August 10, 2018, 09:54:12 pm »
It's about time I uploaded a video. There are a few blemishes and I still hate the sound of my voice but here it is. This is a lovely song by Tim Buckley. You also may know this song from Linda Ronstadt but on her album it is titled "Hobo". Pretty much all simple down strums and it sounds best using just my thumb instead of a pick. I'm playing my Seagull S6, and I recorded it using my Samsung S9.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:00:14 pm by hilts17 »
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
Re: Morning Glory (Tim Buckley)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 10:49:57 pm »
Very nice hilts. I agree it sounds nice with the old fleshy thumb strumming. I didn't hear any blemishes I thought that was a very solid performance. Very relaxed. I hate the sound of my voice too, but there's nothing wrong with either of our voices it's just in our heads. You sang it very well. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 11:43:17 pm »
Ever so glad to hear one from you, Hilts. Nothing wrong with your voice in my ears. Plenty of feeling and vibe. Playing sounded ok as well. Most enjoyable. I hope this is the first of many.

Offline CT

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 01:38:53 am »
Nice. Simpler and softer is often times better. Good job.

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 02:10:23 am »
Very nice, strumming and vocals both sound good! The sound on your guitar is awesome too.

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 03:42:38 am »
Hilts, a very authentic and sincere presentation of a great song.  I think that thumb strumming really works well and sounds good.  I don't know what you consider blemishes, but I didn't pick up on them.  I think your voice sounds good on this and blends well with the guitar.  I believe this is the first time I've seen a post from you since I've been here, and hope you will post more often.  A very enjoyable listen for sure. 

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 06:01:20 am »
Hi Hilts,  I like the gentleness in your voice. There's an honesty about your performance that's disarming. As oldhead49 said, you're authentic. Hope you can get past your self-criticism and acknowledge what's good about your singing and playing. So glad you've posted.

Online Balamuthiah

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 08:08:04 am »
Hello Hilts. Nothing wrong with your voice at all. I honestly loved it. As much as I loved your guitar playing. Good stuff overall! Keep it coming!

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 08:15:54 am »
Very good!

It's always good to start the day by being reminded of a song I haven't heard for a long time, and your version is a good way to be reminded of it.

There isn't anything wrong with your voice - we all sound different from what we think when listening to a recording.

Thanks for posting.
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 35
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 10:17:03 am »
Good stuff, the thumb strumming gives it a soft, soothing sound that fits perfectly with the vocals and the mood of the song.
Thumbs up! 👍

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 11:46:20 am »
Thanks for the kind and supportive words everyone. I really appreciate it.

I have played a version with a pick but I keep going back to using my thumb which I find very pleasing to the ear. I thought my voice was a bit weak in at least a couple of spots but even my wife said she liked my voice so along with your comments, it is a real boost to the self confidence.

I also realised that I've been a registered member here for 4 years and had yet to post a video of my playing. I've watched many other members posting with way less time here than me. Knowing what a great and supportive community we have, I decided there was no reason for delaying this any longer. I was really curious to hear what my peers thought of my playing. I was pleasantly surprised.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to comment. It just reinforces what a great community we share. I definitely will not be shy about posting some more videos.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 01:40:48 pm »
Thanks for the kind and supportive words everyone. I really appreciate it.

I have played a version with a pick but I keep going back to using my thumb which I find very pleasing to the ear. I thought my voice was a bit weak in at least a couple of spots but even my wife said she liked my voice so along with your comments, it is a real boost to the self confidence.

I also realised that I've been a registered member here for 4 years and had yet to post a video of my playing. I've watched many other members posting with way less time here than me. Knowing what a great and supportive community we have, I decided there was no reason for delaying this any longer. I was really curious to hear what my peers thought of my playing. I was pleasantly surprised.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to comment. It just reinforces what a great community we share. I definitely will not be shy about posting some more videos.

Tip of the hat to you, Hilts, for pressing the "Post" button. 

Obviously can't speak for you but can remember, the nervousness I felt when I posted that first recording.  And then the mix of emotions coming back later to see if anybody actually listened, and what would they say?  I can truly say, I've had not a moment of regret and am quite confident in saying the Community has played a big part in my progress.

I now look forward to more from you.  Looking at your signature, many guitars to see you playing as well :)

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 02:22:08 pm »
Tip of the hat to you, Hilts, for pressing the "Post" button. 

Obviously can't speak for you but can remember, the nervousness I felt when I posted that first recording.  And then the mix of emotions coming back later to see if anybody actually listened, and what would they say?  I can truly say, I've had not a moment of regret and am quite confident in saying the Community has played a big part in my progress.

I now look forward to more from you.  Looking at your signature, many guitars to see you playing as well :)

Thanks David. I was definitely feeling the nerves. Heck, it took me at least a dozen attempts before I was somewhat satisfied with the posted version. Then the waiting begins. LOL
A few of those attempts were on my Martin but I really preferred the sound of my Seagull for this song.

I have another song in mind to post which, if I go ahead with it will be another easy listening one. For now, I'll let this one ride it's course.

Thanks again!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 03:15:46 pm »
Very pleasing and soothing to the ears. As others have said, your voice is fine to and good playing. Nice to see a video too.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 03:22:14 pm »
Very pleasing and soothing to the ears. As others have said, your voice is fine to and good playing. Nice to see a video too.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Thank you Pam, I appreciate that.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Get The Forum As A Mobile App