Author Topic: Acoustic bass  (Read 206 times)

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
Acoustic bass
« on: August 10, 2018, 06:34:50 am »
Rock Granny had no idea she'd ever be posting on this thread. I've been bitten by the bass bug ... hard. Currently mucking around with a friends Fender Squier P.  I find it heavy and have to practice sitting down which doesn't suit me at all. The length of the neck is OK as I'm fairly tall, but it feels a bit odd.  I've had a look at the idea of  U Bass, but sorry uke players (Darrell) I just don't like uke's  :o  At this stage I also don't want to buy an amp and may never do so. 

So, I'm exploring acoustic basses. Do any of you have any comments about this Taylor?
https://reverb.com/au/p/taylor-gs-mini-e-bass-acoustic-slash-electric-bass-natural-2017?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ZHY7d_h3AIVWq6WCh1JLAumEAYYAyABEgJ1vfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&hfid=10962696

Or any comments at all about acoustic basses?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: Acoustic bass
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:28:22 am »
It’s a really nice little Bass, but if you’re not intending to get an Amp it may not be loud enough under certain conditions, I looked at them when I got my Uke Bass and opted for the less expensive option - plus I liked the idea of what it would do.
If you really don’t want an Amp then a bigger body would be louder and the lower frequencies would be better, of the ones I’ve seen and picked up Cort and Breedlove were very nice and there’s a Fender that wasn’t bad (and wasn’t expensive).
Edit:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/10-of-the-best-acoustic-bass-guitars
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 07:41:38 am »
Love reading of all your adventures, Batwoman aka RG aka Honey (I'll keep faith and believing for your duo).  Now broadening to bass.

It’s a really nice little Bass, but if you’re not intending to get an Amp it may not be loud enough under certain conditions, I looked at them when I got my Uke Bass and opted for the less expensive option - plus I liked the idea of what it would do.
If you really don’t want an Amp then a bigger body would be louder and the lower frequencies would be better, of the ones I’ve seen and picked up Cort and Breedlove were very nice and there’s a Fender that wasn’t bad (and wasn’t expensive).
Edit:

Darrell, good vibes to you ... ever so helpful sharing your personal experiences of instruments ... seem to have experience of a vast number of instruments of all shapes and sizes.  And more so for providing additional information to help people looking to explore instruments, amps, pedals ...

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:08:27 am »
Darrell, good vibes to you ... ever so helpful sharing your personal experiences of instruments ... seem to have experience of a vast number of instruments of all shapes and sizes.  And more so for providing additional information to help people looking to explore instruments, amps, pedals ...
Thanks David, it’s something that I just like doing and I like to think it helps others.
I’ve just about wore out my welcome in most of our local guitar shops now - they like to occasionally see a sale 🤣🤣🤣 I get the ‘oh it’s him again’ look! But as I will usually say “if you can’t try don’t buy”, obviously there may have to be exceptions to that rule when instruments are only available online - that’s why I use Thomann, their returns and warranty services are excellent.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:07:00 pm »
I'm speaking from a position of no knowledge of the subject of accoustic basses (but when did lack of knowledge ever stop me).

however I have a friend who plays bass rather well and he's been looking at acoustic basses and I know he is taken with the Cort and the Crafter.
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 02:27:38 am »
Edit:

Really helpful comments and advise Darrell, thankyou for taking the time. I've been offered the loan of a U bass so will overcome my prejudice and try it, simply because of your comments.

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 02:28:48 am »
I'm speaking from a position of no knowledge of the subject of accoustic basses (but when did lack of knowledge ever stop me).

however I have a friend who plays bass rather well and he's been looking at acoustic basses and I know he is taken with the Cort and the Crafter.

Not only did I get a good laugh over your post, but some good advise too. Thanks very much for that.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 87
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 03:24:56 pm »
I've tried that Taylor GS Mini Bass in the store last year. It's a lot of fun to play by yourself. In my experience, no acoustic bass guitar keeps up with an acoustic guitar in terms of projection and volume without an amp.

The only acoustic bass that will keep up I suppose is a resonator bass (Paul Beard makes one) or an upright bass.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 01:51:23 am »
I've tried that Taylor GS Mini Bass in the store last year. It's a lot of fun to play by yourself. In my experience, no acoustic bass guitar keeps up with an acoustic guitar in terms of projection and volume without an amp.

The only acoustic bass that will keep up I suppose is a resonator bass (Paul Beard makes one) or an upright bass.

Thanks very much Cue. Your advise is really valuable to me. The Taylor is a bit beyond my price range, but I like it's size. Have yet to try a borrowed Washburn acoustic (don't know the model). Both the Washburn and the Fender Squier P are for sale for $250 AUD.  By the way you asked in another thread if crystal nail files are the same as glass. Yes, I'm told they are.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 87
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 10:39:22 pm »
Cheers, I wanted to make sure I don't recommend the wrong things to people. ;)

I don't know your physique but the Taylor is definitely a winner for its size. Most acoustic bass guitars are oversized jumbo guitars which are really awkward to play if you're not 6'. I'm a long way away from 6'.

Squer basses are pretty nice. My band's guitar player has a Squier Jazz Bass which is cool. I like the sound of P basses too. I suppose you're not looking for anything specific right now so I say try everything and get what pleases you the most. :)
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline batwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 12:03:54 am »
Cheers, I wanted to make sure I don't recommend the wrong things to people. ;)

I don't know your physique but the Taylor is definitely a winner for its size. Most acoustic bass guitars are oversized jumbo guitars which are really awkward to play if you're not 6'. I'm a long way away from 6'.

I'm 174cm tall. Found out this morning the acoustic bass is a Monterey, still don't know the model.

Thanks for all your help Cue, you are really making a difference in helping me sort out the choices.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App