Author Topic: A go at the G major scale  (Read 895 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
  • It's all in the mind!
A go at the G major scale
« on: August 09, 2018, 04:53:37 pm »
https://soundcloud.com/balamuthiah/new-recording-78

May not be all that great but I had fun! The backing track is Justin playing some chords in the key of G on the intermediate dvd lesson. I didn’t really work out the chord sequence and decided to just go with the flow. Maybe next time I’ll do that. But anyways just thought I’d post it for feedback. Any tips on making the major scale bluesy? (Is that possible?)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: A go at the G major scale
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 08:57:36 pm »
Like your playing, Bala, sounded clean, steady and a pleasing tone for sure ... how'd you get that tone?

When I listen, I find myself sometimes feeling like the notes are not quite aligned with the chords ... little bit that each is doing its own thing.  Other times it came to together and sounded in harmony, complimenting.  I think this may be related to notes played relative to the notes of the chord.

That said, nothing sounded off to me ...

But I am not expert, hang in there and I am sure more experienced folk will be along to offer some feedback in due course ...

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 09:26:45 pm »
Like your playing, Bala, sounded clean, steady and a pleasing tone for sure ... how'd you get that tone?

When I listen, I find myself sometimes feeling like the notes are not quite aligned with the chords ... little bit that each is doing its own thing.  Other times it came to together and sounded in harmony, complimenting.  I think this may be related to notes played relative to the notes of the chord.

That said, nothing sounded off to me ...

But I am not expert, hang in there and I am sure more experienced folk will be along to offer some feedback in due course ...

Haha my honest answer for the tone is I don’t know. I was watching the lesson and Justin just started saying “pull out your guitar and jam with me!” And so I did just that. I remember it was on crunch mode (distorted). 5 on gain I think, pretty balanced bass and treble (5-7) and maybe bridge pickup. I will be able to provide more details once I get back home from work. I left the guitar on the same settings. Actually since I’ve been using my acoustic for the fingerpicking I really didn’t change the settings after the watchtower cover. Just no fuzz and reverb.

As for the notes, pretty much the same answer I just gave it a go without much thinking or hesitation. So I didn’t figure out the chords he was playing. I followed one of his tips though. Justin said if something doesn’t sound right on the major scale, the right note will only be a semitone or a tone away. So I just tried to play something and if it sounded right I tried to repeat the idea a little differently if it didn’t I changed it. Except at the end when I couldn’t get a note sound right so I tried to play it again to see if it sounded right on the last chord. But next time I’m gonna try and figure out the chords and then sorta play for the chords. Hope my (not so helpful answer helped).

Thank you for listening to it and for the positive comments!

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 89
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 12:20:32 am »
Sound good to these old ears and I agree, nice tone. What is the signal chain on that? Forgive me if I missed it elsewhere...

Rock on,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 03:11:40 am »
All right, so this is what I used:
Ibanez Gio GRG170DX (Haven't named it yet)
Marshall MG15CF amp
Bridge pickup and I raised the bridge a little bit a while ago to play around with my guitar
Treble 6
Middle 6
Bass 5
Gain 4
Volume 5
And I did use some distortion from the amp's overdrive channel.
But that's it. I'm not very adept with the technicalities of my own gear so forgive me. I'm still learning all that. :D

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 03:16:27 am »
Sound good to these old ears and I agree, nice tone. What is the signal chain on that? Forgive me if I missed it elsewhere...

Rock on,
LB

Thank you Lbro. I hope I answered your question too!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 10:15:41 am »
All right, so this is what I used:
Ibanez Gio GRG170DX (Haven't named it yet)
Marshall MG15CF amp
Bridge pickup and I raised the bridge a little bit a while ago to play around with my guitar
Treble 6
Middle 6
Bass 5
Gain 4
Volume 5
And I did use some distortion from the amp's overdrive channel.
But that's it. I'm not very adept with the technicalities of my own gear so forgive me. I'm still learning all that. :D
Thanks Bala.

Reading that makes me want to power up the amp, plug in and play around with tones :) Seems similar-ish to what I was doing in my noodle clip with major difference is I was using a clean amp voicing rather than overdrive or the gentler crunch (I only have one input channel but have 6 different voicings)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 01:02:26 pm »
Thanks Bala.

Reading that makes me want to power up the amp, plug in and play around with tones :) Seems similar-ish to what I was doing in my noodle clip with major difference is I was using a clean amp voicing rather than overdrive or the gentler crunch (I only have one input channel but have 6 different voicings)

I used to have that kinda amp (that’s where I got the term crunch from). I myself prefer to use clean voicing. However after the feedback for the thread I was noodling around yesterday with the tone and have started to like the overdrive. Next I might try adding fuzz too 😁

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 02:48:39 pm »
You’re learning!
Nice tone and clean picking; you can have a go at blues - it’s not so easy without mixing it up with minor though!
If you want some inspiration on G maj have a look at G&R Sweet child of mine, that’s in G maj and isn’t too difficult to get the vibe of what’s going on plus it’s a great solo to learn!
Another good source of inspiration is Joe Satriani, he’s done a few improvisation videos in his Masterclass style videos - for scales and modes and how to apply them he is great - one of his tracks in G maj to have a listen to is Rubina!
Keep going, you’re really improving with your ideas - as I said before the secret is studying styles and musicians you like and understanding what they are doing.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 04:19:52 pm »
The important thing is to stretch and take chances, so good job there! I'll have to look for the IM practice DVD, didn't know about it. 

Some tips that you are free to ignore:
* Start off playing with tone and volume on the guitar rolled back just a bit. It sounded a little brittle to my ears, and trust me I have a tendency to be brittle on a number of my leads as well. You can always turn those knobs up if you have to cut through the mix at some point.
* Try and work on sustaining some of the notes -- carry them over a bit longer to build up tension. A good compressor with a sustain knob will help in this regard and even out the notes a bit as well.
* Consider keeping an eye on a fret board scale so that you can traverse a bit more:

All in all, that was a stellar outing. Looking forward to more from you. :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 05:42:12 pm »
You’re learning!
Nice tone and clean picking; you can have a go at blues - it’s not so easy without mixing it up with minor though!
If you want some inspiration on G maj have a look at G&R Sweet child of mine, that’s in G maj and isn’t too difficult to get the vibe of what’s going on plus it’s a great solo to learn!
Another good source of inspiration is Joe Satriani, he’s done a few improvisation videos in his Masterclass style videos - for scales and modes and how to apply them he is great - one of his tracks in G maj to have a listen to is Rubina!
Keep going, you’re really improving with your ideas - as I said before the secret is studying styles and musicians you like and understanding what they are doing.

Thank you Darrell. I have so much to thank you for soloing wise. Sweet child of mine is a lovely song. I'll start from there and then move on to Joe Satriani. I think Justin had some suggestions too including Wish you were here. I'd like to check those out as well. I think Free bird uses G minor pentatonic/ blues. Maybe I could try mixing some major there? I really wanna study the scale too as I didn't know which notes to bend with the G major scale. And figure out some chord chemistry with the notes like I did for the minor pentatonic. Let's see where it goes.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 06:24:51 pm »
The important thing is to stretch and take chances, so good job there! I'll have to look for the IM practice DVD, didn't know about it. 

Some tips that you are free to ignore:
* Start off playing with tone and volume on the guitar rolled back just a bit. It sounded a little brittle to my ears, and trust me I have a tendency to be brittle on a number of my leads as well. You can always turn those knobs up if you have to cut through the mix at some point.
* Try and work on sustaining some of the notes -- carry them over a bit longer to build up tension. A good compressor with a sustain knob will help in this regard and even out the notes a bit as well.
* Consider keeping an eye on a fret board scale so that you can traverse a bit more:

All in all, that was a stellar outing. Looking forward to more from you. :)

Thank you for the positive constructive feedback CT! And wow! “Stellar” made my day 😁 and thank you so much for the tips. I’m definitely not gonna ignore any! I will definitely work on the first tip and see where it goes. Changing the dynamics around during play would be a next step for me so I’ll work on that.

With the second one... I’m having tons of problems sustaining notes. I’m currently working on my bends, vibratos and bending vibratos. But I didn’t want to try out any in this solo as (coming to your third tip) I really didn’t work out what kind of notes I was playing so I didn’t want to bend out of place. However I do need to sustain static notes so I will give the compressor with a sustain knob a shot. Any tips on a good inexpensive gear?

And finally I will definitely explore the width and length of the fretboard with my next improv practices! Just wanted to make one decent improv solo with the first position before I moved on to more positions and notes. Very good spot on tips there CT. Thank you!

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 07:23:15 pm »
I'll have to look for the IM practice DVD, didn't know about it. 

I forgot to mention about the DVD. This backing track is from the IM DVD only lessons. It has all the IM lessons from the website and then for each foundation, there are 3 bonus lessons only available on the DVD. I just jammed along to one of the jam lessons for the G major scale when he just plays random chords in the key of G. He gives good pointers on how to jam. The DVD was absolutely worth it! I actually got the DVD bundle with the strumming series, folk fingerstyle, blues rhythm and blues solos book. I've only checked out the IM lessons so far. So there's plenty of good stuff to go! However I plan on jumping into blues lead and soloing first. And then do the other style modules.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 02:15:44 am »
Sustaining notes might be as simple as you not holding the note long enough or even something with your rig. Hard to say. A good humbucker guitar will usually have sustain for days. When I want to tighten up my playing a bit, or add clean boost and/or sustain I use my compressor pedal, which is a fairly cheap one called Forcefield from TC Electronic (it's simple and built like a tank). There may be a setting on your system software or amp that can add more sustain.

Yes, stellar effort. I appreciate improvisation much more than songs or riffs played by rote.   

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 03:10:51 am »
Sustaining notes might be as simple as you not holding the note long enough or even something with your rig. Hard to say. A good humbucker guitar will usually have sustain for days. When I want to tighten up my playing a bit, or add clean boost and/or sustain I use my compressor pedal, which is a fairly cheap one called Forcefield from TC Electronic (it's simple and built like a tank). There may be a setting on your system software or amp that can add more sustain.

Yes, stellar effort. I appreciate improvisation much more than songs or riffs played by rote.   

I see. Thank for sharing that info CT. I think I’ll give compressor pedals a shot just to see if it helps. I could still use to for other stuff in the future. I’ll keep trying without one too though. Thank you for the help. I’ll probably be posting a lot of improvs in between a songs. :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App