Author Topic: bridge coming off  (Read 791 times)

Offline cocomaru

• Good Vibes 0
bridge coming off
« on: August 27, 2018, 05:03:49 pm »

is it fixable or do i have to buy a new guitar?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
Re: bridge coming off
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 05:38:20 pm »
Looks like the body is also pulled up behind the bridge, if that’s the case it’s not much use glueing the bridge back because the body will still be bowed and you won’t get the action height correct and probably the intonation will be wrong.
I really think it’s time to call it a day with that one, sorry to break bad news 😢
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline cocomaru

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 05:39:25 pm »
what caused this to happen??

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 06:57:50 pm »
For the soundboard to bow and the bridge to lift there are only a few things that caused that to happen,
1) Too much tension of the strings
2) Temperature and humidity variations
3) Poor construction
Not knowing what instrument/model and your local environment it is I couldn’t really say but Temperature and humidity variations would be likely if it is a decent quality guitar.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline cocomaru

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 07:01:04 pm »
its probably the humidity, because its been pretty hot recently.

I've also heard that keeping acoustic guitar in tune when you're not using it for a long period is bad for the bridge and the neck of the guitar.

If I loosen the guitar strings whenever im not using it, should I loosen the guitar strings all the way, or just slightly out of pitch?

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 07:41:05 pm »
I keep all my guitars tuned, even if I don't play for a month. Which, sadly, happens sometimes. Doesn't and shouldn't cause any problems. That said, my acoustics are naturally a bit bowed in the top and back.

To elaborate on poor construction and humidity - these two factors can cause the bracing on the inside of the guitar to become loose. Then the soundboard (top) loses its structural integrity and it will deform.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 08:55:09 pm »
I keep all my guitars tuned, even if I don't play for a month. Which, sadly, happens sometimes. Doesn't and shouldn't cause any problems. That said, my acoustics are naturally a bit bowed in the top and back.

To elaborate on poor construction and humidity - these two factors can cause the bracing on the inside of the guitar to become loose. Then the soundboard (top) loses its structural integrity and it will deform.

I'm with Cue on both counts. My oldest guitar is 73 years old and I have 2 that are over
40 years old and the only time the tension is of the strings is when they are being changed

As for the bridge and top coming up I thing Cue is right on this as well. If the bracing
under the bridge has failed the top would be supporting all the tension and would fail.

Is it fixable?  Yes. Is it worth it? That would depend on the guitar. If it's an expensive
guitar them it's worth fixing. If it's a cheap guitar it will cost more to fix than to buy
another guitar.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 02:25:12 am »
I have to agree with Cue Zephyr and stitich101, it's very fixable, but depending on what the guitar cost and what local guitar techs/luthiers charge, it might indeed be cheaper to buy a new one.
And Cue's reasoning as to why it warped is spot on, and the also #1 reason why guitar tops warp and bridges start tearing free.
Best thing you can do is ask around and see who's well recommended and not too expensive in your area.

Also, whoever told you you shouldn't keep tension on your strings when not playing for a long period is plain old wrong.
Guitars are built to withstand the tension, and without the tension the neck generally starts bowing one way or the other, which could damage it in the long run.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App