Author Topic: Struggling to play parlour guitar without overbending wrist- advice?  (Read 528 times)

Offline lidwig

• Good Vibes 0
Hello! Recently got back into playing guitar (I'm still a beginner) and so bought a parlour guitar (Gretch G9500 Jim Dandy) the other day.

But after some playing I've realised playing scales close to the guitar body mean i have to bend my arm in to my body and really have to strain to bend my wrist and keep it at pretty much 90 degrees!

I can stop this problem by sitting the guitar on my lap and holding it more upright but this doesn't exactly look cool...

Has anyone got any advice for how I could still be able to keep the guitar? Or is it a lost cause?

Many thanks

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
Re: Struggling to play parlour guitar without overbending wrist- advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 11:37:51 am »
When I play seated, I use a "classical" position (even with a steel string acoustic): guitar in between my legs, neck angled up, et cetera. Probably the position you mention as not looking cool. :)  But I find it more comfortable and it works better for me.

Like this:

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 01:07:08 pm »
Give up looking cool until you can do the techniques well. Then you can buy an extra long Slash strap....

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 04:15:32 pm »
I love my acoustic guitars, and would love to have a Jim Dandy to thump on when I'm sitting in my aero gravity recliner, but neither would be my choice of guitar for practicing scales. If you have an electric guitar go with it for learning/practicing scales. If you don't have an electric, get one, they can be had for cheap. I would have been so far ahead of the game by now if my first guitar had been a tele. A carpenter never blames his hammer, he gets the right hammer for the job. 

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 399
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 07:53:29 am »
… I'm still a beginner …

I've realised playing scales close to the guitar body mean i have to bend my arm in to my body and really have to strain to bend my wrist and keep it at pretty much 90 degrees!

Hello lidwig, welcome to the forum.

1st - you're a self-proclaimed beginner.
Have you done the decent thing and looked at Justin's Beginner Course to make sure you have the basics all sorted, all gaps filled, all key essentials tight and all skills and techniques to your level learned?
Have you learned to play songs from beginning to end, at tempo, to build up the start of a repertoire?

2nd - you're a self-proclaimed beginner.
What scales are you learning / playing high up the neck?
You're not exactly moving in beginner territory there.
And for playing scales you arm / hand / wrist do adopt different positions to when playing open chords. But that will come to you in good time when the time is right.

3rd - it is hard to visualise your actual physical problem.
Are you sitting on a floppy-cushion sofa? A hard chair? A chair with arms? Standing?

Your fretting arm elbow should be free and not tucked in to your body. Your wrist should never be cocked at an angle that causes pain.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App