Author Topic: Putting Squier Tele pickups in a cheap strat copy - would it work?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline WalrusCandyman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Hey, I managed to learn the F chord...
Heyo,
Have a question.  Possibly a peculiar one.
Being late to just every party I have ever been to.  And I am late to picking up the guitar.  While I made half hearted attempt in the past I never got far, I guess my equipment wasn't what I needed at the time.  But now I have decided to give it a go again.  I got a wild hair and picked up one of those little Affinity Tele's from Squire. And it clicked.  I dig it. Making more progress than ever.  So, I decided to get some pickups from Fender and had them put in.  And now it looks cool and sounds...well, as great as I can make it sound at this point.  I had this done professionally because I didn't want to ruin anything.
And though I told the lad that set me up that he was welcome to keep the Squire pickups, and he politely declined.
I was just gonna toss them until I remembered the Graveyard of Guitars Past.  In my closet.
And I am the right combination of curious and bored and wanna try something...
So.
Question time.  Told you there was a question...
If I were to pull the now dead pickups from a First Act Strat style deal, how hard would it be to put one or both of the Squire pickups in the First Act? 
What's more, as there is only one little space to place a humbucker (I think...remember, I am new to this.  A noob for noobs to ridicule), could I lash the two pickups from the Squire together and place them in?

I am not trying to wedge myself between Leo and Les, here, friends.
Just wanting to see if this is the kind of thing I will be any good at.  And while we should all take a lesson from Dr. Frankenstein, I figure there is little harm in sewing up some stuff that would otherwise be thrown out.
Thanks for any help.

(If this is the most absurd thing you have ever heard, isscool...you can let me know.)

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:29:59 am by close2u »

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
Re: Would it Work?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 09:14:57 am »

Question time.  Told you there was a question...
If I were to pull the now dead pickups from a First Act Strat style deal, how hard would it be to put one or both of the Squire pickups in the First Act? 

I suppose it would be possible to lash something up, but without seeing the pickup mounts and the recipient guitar we'd all be guessing.

What's more, as there is only one little space to place a humbucker (I think...remember, I am new to this.  A noob for noobs to ridicule), could I lash the two pickups from the Squire together and place them in?

That's not going to happen though.

It's 'Squier' BTW. Look at the headstock ;)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline WalrusCandyman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Putting Squier Tele pickups in a cheap strat copy - would it work?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 10:02:20 am »
It's 'Squier' BTW. Look at the headstock ;)
Far out.
I will try and get some snapshots up tomorrow.

Offline WalrusCandyman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 10:02:47 am »
Far out.
I will try and get some snapshots up tomorrow.

Thanks for giving it a crack, though.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Everything has beauty, but not everybody sees it.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 06:53:38 pm »
I think that if you, a) get the measurements of the pickups, b) the way they are wired and c) you got a soldering iron, you're good to go.

As soon as i get my second guitar, my first one will be something to experiment on. Replacing pup's etc... Basically it's to learn more about the innards of the guitar.

So, good luck!
We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 01:33:42 pm »
Hum,
Not sure I would go side by side with pups... they may interfere with each other being that close. There are wiring diagrams on the net that may assist you wiring wise. Talk to the guy who did your other guitar work and he might share some on how to go about it. Can't hurt to ask...

All the best,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Get The Forum As A Mobile App