Author Topic: Bass for a guitar player  (Read 6899 times)

Offline Mehrdad

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Bass for a guitar player
« on: June 12, 2015, 06:21:21 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm a guitarist but I really want to play a bass alongside with my guitar and none of my friends have one. I'm low on budget cause I spend my money for guitar but I wanna know if some good and satisfying basses are around 300$. Now I'm using bass emulators in guitar rig and Rocksmith but they're not satisfying. Thanks.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: Bass for a guitar player
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 10:42:34 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm a guitarist but I really want to play a bass alongside with my guitar and none of my friends have one. I'm low on budget cause I spend my money for guitar but I wanna know if some good and satisfying basses are around 300$. Now I'm using bass emulators in guitar rig and Rocksmith but they're not satisfying. Thanks.

I was  in the same boat as you and wanted a low cost bass. Ended up with this low end Peavey for $100 used. It plays pretty well, sounds ok to me.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B50dJOiyr6P1cm5pRnYwVVVVY1E&authuser=0

It is 6 years old and is a Peavey Fury IV bass.

Good luck,
LB

You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 11:52:54 pm »
Keep your eyes open - good deals on bass's come along quite often.  I bought an Ibanez BTB-400 that was in perfect condition for $225 - they were $700 when new.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 11:57:44 pm »
I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass that retails for $299 new. It feels like it's pretty good quality, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

You can also find some good deals on used gear if you look around, and may be able to get more bang for your buck going that route.

Offline Mehrdad

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 05:26:56 pm »
Is there a good place to buy used gear online? Somewhere that I can trust that don't give me broken stuff and like that. I don't live in US or Europe so I can't test things. I have relatives in US and Europe and they can buy me my stuff and send them to me, but they can't play guitar and don't know much about that. So I decided to go with new gear. But if there's a good place for used gear, that I can trust blindly, I will buy used models that I know and they're gonna be very cheaper. I know some places like guitar center, is it good? Or any other suggestions?

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 05:51:50 pm »
Is there a good place to buy used gear online? Somewhere that I can trust that don't give me broken stuff and like that. I don't live in US or Europe so I can't test things. I have relatives in US and Europe and they can buy me my stuff and send them to me, but they can't play guitar and don't know much about that. So I decided to go with new gear. But if there's a good place for used gear, that I can trust blindly, I will buy used models that I know and they're gonna be very cheaper. I know some places like guitar center, is it good? Or any other suggestions?

Guitar Center is pretty good. Buying used, site unseen is not the best way to go about it. But if you have to do that then Guitar Center might be a good source. Sometimes they charge a bit more than private party but I have also seen them beat prices on eBay and Craigslist. Also, Guitar Center is reputable, if you ask about fret wear for instance they likely would give you a straight answer. If that was an issue down the line you might have some recourse.

Best of luck on this,
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 06:12:55 pm »
Another place you can look is Elderly Instruments - www.elderly.com .  They are in my town and ship worldwide.  One of the best guitar shops in the world and they have accurate descriptions on their used instruments that will tell you exactly what your going to get.  Their luthiers look at every guitar (new and used) when they come in and put a description of any issues with the instrument right on the website along with great pictures.  They'll also tell you whether they did a setup on it, etc.  If I was going to try to buy used sight unseen that's where I'd go.

Offline Mehrdad

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 07:34:25 pm »
Thanks. That site was cool. I have to see if I can find something on one of em. Thanks for your help! Hope that I find something!

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 01:47:04 am »
Realize too that if you decide to use Guitar Center, their web site pulls from all their stores and they ship for free I believe to any other store. So if you like a bass in say Texas and your relatives live in Oregon you could order it and have your relatives pick it up in the local Oregon store.
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline Mehrdad

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 09:50:27 am »
Thanks again! I didn't know that! Useful information!

Offline Goranpaa

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 08:56:31 am »
 I have been looking for a short scale bass for a while. This, as I feel that it will be easier to  "jump" between the guitar and the bass that way.

The Squire Vintage Modified Jaguar are very nice as far as I have tried one. A bit cheaper but also seem like a good bang for the buck are the Ibanez TMB 30 Talman.

A nice budget full scale bass seem to be the Yamaha TRBX 174.
Guitars: Squire Standard Stratocaster and Squire Affinity Telecaster. Squire, Vintage Modified Jaguar ( Shortscale ) bass.

Amp. Blackstar ID Core BEAM.

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 09:53:38 am »
I have been looking for a short scale bass for a while. This, as I feel that it will be easier to  "jump" between the guitar and the bass that way.
This should NOT be a reason for getting a short scale bass. Ergonomics and your playing style should be the decisive factor. Transitioning from guitar to bass won't be much of a problem.
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 10:32:59 am »
The biggest issues I experienced when starting to play bass were:

• The strings were thicker and much more difficult to fret..
  • Learning to pluck instead of using a pick (and learning to do it properly)

The size of the bass itself wasn't really much of an issue.

Regarding the plucking, you can play the bass with a pick, and some players do. However, it's far more common to pluck, and using a pick will give you a different sound than plucking with the fingers.

In general, it's considered best if you are able to both pluck and to use a pick depending on the situation.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 03:47:14 pm »
I think I paid about £60 for my second hand Yamaha bass.  You can get pretty good used basses for not much money IMO.

As for a short scale bass, don't bother. When you come to change the strings they are more expensive (less demand), and they are too much of an all round compromise IMO.

If you want to get into bass, buy a good full size used one and if you find the stretches a little hard to start with then make it into your own shortscale by sticking a capo on the first (or even) second fret, retune to suit and hey presto, a short scale bass. OK, not ideal but it works.
"Oh no, it's not a Hofner, it's a Hobner" . WHAATTT !!!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 04:14:53 pm »

You don't play a bass the same way you play a guitar... or if you do there is a huge chance you will sound like a guitar player that can't play bass.

Playing a short scale will not make you sound like a good bass player either.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 04:18:28 pm »
@ OP, can you buy from Musicians Friend? If so you can easily get a "Blemished" instrument from them. It's a lot cheaper and there is rarely anything wrong with them. Their rating system favors teh buyer in my experience.

I bought a Blem Epi Dove and I am yet to figure what was wrong with it. I think it must have been a return or something. It had a smudge on it which I buffed off in 10 seconds.

You can get a nice Fender bass for $300. Or another brand if you like. Stay away from the 5 string stuff.

Gone

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 06:15:07 am »
There are many different styles one can use to play bass.

Fingers, Slap, Pick, Strum.  They all work and they all sound different.
So long as it sounds good you can use whatever technique you like.  You can definitely use a pick and sound good. Sure, if you want to be an accomplished bassist you will need to develop skill with all those techniques.

Some famous Bass players who use pick are

Justin Chancellor -Tool
John Paul Jones - Led Zep
John Entwistle  -  The Who
Mike Dirnt - Green Day

This fellow explains why a bass player should be able to use a pick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBVX0ZVM1n0&t=651s

Here is a lesson for a TOOL song. Notice he plays it much like guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y0BCYMBW5k

Here is Justin Chancellor giving a lesson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj-g9a5Vzk0

I was just given a bass by a friend who is a bass player.  The output jack is a bit flaky and will need replacement.  I also  had to adjust the truss rod and string height but it is a lot of fun. After playing it my guitar feels like a toy.

Offline Goranpaa

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 11:23:28 am »
I bought the Squire Vintage modifed Jaguar ( crimson red ) yesterday. I wanted a short scale as it feels easier to jump between this and the guitar than a full scale bass. And as I have a slight left shoulder problem, It hurts to play a normal bass with such a long neck after a while.

The Modiified Jaguar is a very nice bass for what you pay!

But if you want a full scale? Look at the Yamaha TRBX 174 for ex. Ibanez, have some nice and cheap ones too.
Guitars: Squire Standard Stratocaster and Squire Affinity Telecaster. Squire, Vintage Modified Jaguar ( Shortscale ) bass.

Amp. Blackstar ID Core BEAM.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App