Author Topic: Intonation advice please.  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Rufusragatip

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • I can pick my nose but cant pick a guitar string.
Intonation advice please.
« on: July 20, 2018, 01:38:30 am »
Hello.

If anyone who knows the reason for the challenge I am experiencing when trying to set my intonation, I would appreciate very much if you could take the time to explain what the issue is/could be.

When I tune my guitar (after 'stretching' the strings on my new guitar) and all is fine and dandy on the tuner, I then attempt to set the intonation. However, the challenge I am facing is getting the G, B and E strings to register on the tuner. E, A and D are not an issue as they tune up well when setting the intonation on those strings. They register on the tuner and I have had no cause to screw the bridge screws either in/out.
I have tried to find advice within the forum, but not found anything which matches my challenge, and I've followed, to the letter, a guy setting the intonation up on his Vintage Jaguar, but with being a complete novice (but one full of enthusiasm and willingness to learn) I am at a loss as to the possible issue(s).
The G, B and E strings are extremely sharp when fretting on the 12th string, so I have tried to reduce this by working the bridge screws back, but they are now as far back as they will go yet still the 12th fretted strings are sharp. (I'll wait until the wife has gone to bed to say her tongue is the only thing which comes close to being as sharp just in case she reads over my shoul......... ouch!)  ;D

Kind regards, and thank you in anticipation of a reply.

Rufus
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Racism is in the eye of an idiot' - Rufusragatip 2018

'Judge not, until you judge yourself' - Robert 'Nesta' Marley 1962

Offline supbowie

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Bachbird singing in the dead of night..
Re: Intonation advice please.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 06:24:27 am »
My advice would be to take your guitar to your next shop or luthier. I'm a novice as well, I'm afraid I can't help you. :/

And the stars look very different today -David Bowie

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 06:48:02 am »
If you have got 009 or lighter strings on it that could be the problem, I use 011’s on mine (a Harley Benton Jazzmaster) to get the intonation right. When this guitar was designed thick strings 012/3 were commonly used so that’s what the bridge setup and short scale length needs.
Edit: as pointed out my HB Jazzmaster bridge is different and not short scale but it did benefit from thicker strings, on 9’s the intonation was barely achieved but by going to 11’s there was more adjustment left, I didn’t quite understand why but it works!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:54:50 am by DarrellW »

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 07:59:42 am »
First thing I would check is the position of the bridge itself: make sure that is level and centered. Also check and double check that the saddles and screws are not moving around. Use cement to fix them in place if necessary.

I had my Jaguar set up for .10 strings and the Squier bridge works well without any other adjustments needed. In some cases, however, it may be necessary to adjust the neck by using a "shim". But for that I would definitely consult a pro first.

Even though I had no real issues with it, I replaced the Squier bridge with a Staytrem some time ago, which does make it a lot simpler to set up. I believe the Harley Benton Jazzmaster uses a different bridge design altogether (a fixed tune-o-matic as you would find on Les Pauls).
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 08:42:29 am »
You should definitely get a professional set up. The intonation is normally the last thing you do during a set up, once all the other settings are correct.

Having a well set up guitar will make a big difference to your playing experience.

Squier guitars often need a good set up when new. I had a classic vibe strat which needed a neck shim and some fret levelling to get it right.
Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Everything has beauty, but not everybody sees it.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 11:55:21 am »
I've had my struggles with intonation as well. I have a yamaha pacifica  and the last time i did the intonation, i learned a lot.
Like you say, no problem with the e, b and g string, but for me the trick for getting the d, a and e string right, was turning the saddles all the way to the nut, untill they can go no further, and then start with the intonation the lower strings. Bringing the saddles up towards the bridge.
Be careful though, this goes with increments of 10'ths of mm's... Be carefull to check after every adjustment and pluck the string as lightly as possible.
We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 07:32:32 pm »
Also check the saddles are not too high on the E b G side. If the strings are too high they will go sharp when fretted.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Rufusragatip

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • I can pick my nose but cant pick a guitar string.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 07:46:46 pm »
Thank you to all that have chipped in with advice. Very much appreciated.
I have decided to take my guitars to a shop to be set up properly. Thankfully, the guitar tech, when I asked her if it would be possible to watch how the set-up is done, was very happy to oblige.
All I have to do now is learn how to play........ Deerhunter tab is coming along a treat.

I think my neighbour is impressed with my learning how to play the guitar. He made a request on Thursday. He asked if I could learn to play, 'Over the hills and far away'. I'm guessing it is Country or Jazz.  ;) ;D
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Racism is in the eye of an idiot' - Rufusragatip 2018

'Judge not, until you judge yourself' - Robert 'Nesta' Marley 1962

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 08:07:44 pm »
At a guess this is the one:

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 10:23:46 pm »
Or this:

Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 10:29:34 pm »

I think my neighbour is impressed with my learning how to play the guitar. He made a request on Thursday. He asked if I could learn to play, 'Over the hills and far away'. I'm guessing it is Country or Jazz.  ;) ;D

Looks like that one went whoosh mate. ;)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App