Author Topic: Linux & PC as a home practice amp  (Read 201 times)

Offline bjsteeves

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Linux & PC as a home practice amp
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:17:30 pm »
I use my home PC as my practice amp.  I have a Behringer USB guitar interface which I plug my guitar into. I then use the JACK and RAKARRACK software apps to "connect" it all together and have fun. It also has a headphone jack if needed.

Running linux only on my PC, these apps are open source and easily installed. There are more special effects that can ever be used, and you can create your own effects too. If you have a recent laptop, you could easily substitute this for a pedal board. Just feed the audio output to your amp(s) and you are off and running. The only disadvantage would be missing, is a real pedal, such a wah-wah, if you use one.

As for running on Windows or Macs, I have no idea if these apps are available for those platforms, or if there are similar apps available. Your mileage may vary, as they say...

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 87
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
Re: Linux & PC as a home practice amp
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 04:22:07 pm »
I use my home PC as my practice amp. 

As for running on Windows or Macs, I have no idea if these apps are available for those platforms, or if there are similar apps available. Your mileage may vary, as they say...
PCs are gonna be much more powerful than most modeling amps. For me personally however, I find it too clunky. I just wanna switch on, sit down and play and I"m sure many others feel the same way.

I can't find anything about JACK (is that what it's called?) and Rakarack doesn't seem to be available on Windows. I don't know of any free standalone amp simulators on Windows, but I know of a few free VST plugins that sound pretty good.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline bjsteeves

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 05:05:07 pm »
There is no hassle in just plugging in ... I start the app, the "connections" are already saved and set, and play.

As I stated, I do run linux and most of these are linux only. This site does list quite a few applications, some are cross platform too.

http://jackaudio.org/applications/

I hope some of these are useful to you.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 06:42:58 pm »
I agree with Cue.

I'm a big user and advocate of Linux, but there is a hassle factor using any PC based system unless you happen to already be sitting in front of the powered up PC with the audio configured properly.

I do use my PC occasionally; I don't even have to fire up Jack (it's permanently running on my desktop with Pulseaudio bridged to it) or Rakarrack (my audio interface has the guitar emulation built in).

But, as I said, unless it's already powered on and I'm already sitting in front of it, I normally find it less hassle, and more conducive to practice, to keep away from the PC and have a real amp and sheet music.

And even when I am at my computer, I've usually been sitting at it for a considerable time already. WHen I want to play the guitar it's often because I want to get away from the screen.

That applies to phone/tablet apps too: yes they can be quick and convenient, but they do require some additional steps beyond flicking the power switch on an amp, and they also can be a distraction.

And, on typical desktop speakers or headphones, they simply don't sound as good.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline bjsteeves

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:52:41 pm »
I don't disagree with that...Being an old IT guy (retired after almost 50 years in the IT field), I am on my PC a LOT. So using that as a practice amp, sound effects , etc... is not an issue. However, when playing my acoustic, I do shut the PC off. After all, I myself need a break or two away from the PC.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App