Author Topic: Keeping nails and callouses just right  (Read 558 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
Keeping nails and callouses just right
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:47:02 am »
If you file nails and and callous with an emery board, I've discovered a better option ... a crystal nail file. I was going through packets of emery boards and not getting a great result. The crystal number does a mighty fine job and seems to last for ever. You'll find it in the nail care section of the store.

For those who like to use an angle grinder or heavy duty sandpaper, this may be a more comfortable option, though not as character building  ;D

Online hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
Re: Keeping nails and callouses just right
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 04:59:51 am »
I bought a crystal file from Wolfram a couple of years ago. Great product! Just Google it as he has a website.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:55:30 am »
I use my Dremel with a diamond pad, v e r y carefully 🤣🤣🤣
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 02:14:49 am »
I use my Dremel with a diamond pad, v e r y carefully 🤣🤣🤣

I always knew you were a man of character Darrell  ;D

Offline Sc0rn3d

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 03:00:09 am »
I'm glad you gave this tip. I was just dealing with it but after a while my finger tip grabbing on to a string and pulling it gets irritating. I will have to look into this. Thanks. The only thing I'm worrying about is accidentally using it too much and getting rid of the callus, hopefully that's not really an issue unless I use the sand paper like above :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 03:14:20 am »
The only thing I'm worrying about is accidentally using it too much and getting rid of the callus, hopefully that's not really an issue unless I use the sand paper like above :)

Hey S, it only takes a little bit of filing, especially if you're using a crystal file. Make just three or four light passes, rub your fingertip, if it's still catching, file a little bit more. Best to keep stopping and checking. Once your fingertips are smooth, that's enough.

I also find it works best to do this two or even three times a week in summer. Takes very little time. A lot of my playing is fingerpicking so I like to keep my nails similar in length, makes it easier to find the strings. Dramatic changes in nail length mess me up.

I don't have enough character to use an angle grinder  ;D

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 04:46:25 am »
I always knew you were a man of character Darrell  ;D
Lol!!!
My wife stopped me using her stuff so that’s all I’ve got that’s remotely suitable, I’m now on the lookout for one of those crystal files 🤣🤣🤣 thanks for the heads up 👍👍👍

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 06:50:55 am »
Lol!!!
My wife stopped me using her stuff so that’s all I’ve got that’s remotely suitable, I’m now on the lookout for one of those crystal files 🤣🤣🤣 thanks for the heads up 👍👍👍

OMG Darrell I thought you were joking about the Dremel with a diamond pad.  :o  Go get yourself a crystal file. Losing part of a finger could be something of an impediment for a guitarist.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 10:22:41 am »
I’m used to doing things carefully with the Dremel, I use it a lot for model making ( RC aircraft) so it’s quite safe....... unless I slipped 🤣🤣🤣 even then I would just have a sore finger end, it’s not a cutting disc it’s a polishing disc!

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 02:06:52 pm »
I'm not sure if a crystal file is the same as a glass file, but I've used those for a while and they're great. I use it on my right hand finger nails to keep them strong when they're a little longer. I just cut my left hand finger nails because I don't need them for anything.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 09:22:34 am »
My swiss army knife and a (glass/crystal?) file are the tools for me. I got the file from my wife's case so i'm not sure what it is, but it works.
My callouses seem to adjust themselves as they don't seem to need any attention. I mean, i don't need to do anythin, they're just...there....  :D
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 12:10:26 pm »
My callouses seem to adjust themselves as they don't seem to need any attention. I mean, i don't need to do anythin, they're just...there....  :D
I tend to get grooves in mine, then the groove hardens and I get buzz and irritation.  I guess I am just not playing enough to take my callouses to the next level :)   I was happy when I started to develop a callous on the pinky but clearly still going to have to put in more hours ...

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 01:40:36 pm »
I tend to get grooves in mine, then the groove hardens and I get buzz and irritation.  I guess I am just not playing enough to take my callouses to the next level :)   I was happy when I started to develop a callous on the pinky but clearly still going to have to put in more hours ...
My callouses are actually in the wrong place for certain chords and on certain instruments, so I sort of know what you mean. Very annoying indeed. :P
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 04:31:11 pm »
The first three years of playing I had to tame my callouses every now and then, but from that point on they seem to have settled in a place where I do not need to care about them at all. They are just there.
I like that.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 06:24:38 am »
Same for me, Joerfe. I used to need to give my calluses more attention, but I rarely need to do much, these days. When I do need to touch up something I use the little metal file that folds out from my pocket nail clippers.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App