Author Topic: Used Yamaha FG411S, is it worth 250€  (Read 331 times)

Offline TheJoker1432

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Used Yamaha FG411S, is it worth 250€
« on: July 10, 2018, 07:05:26 pm »
So I want my own acoustic and my teacher offered me a used Yamaha FG411S for 250€

I searched a bit but didnt really find anything on the guitar because its quite old

I like the guitar but I have no idea if the price is reasonable. Can anyone lese help me out? Or recommend a used acoustic for sub 400?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: Used Yamaha FG411S, is it worth 250€
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 09:18:16 pm »
If you could get it for €200 if it’s in really good condition it would be worth it; it’s solid top so a decent instrument and is highly regarded - it would have been made between 1995 and 1998 I think so it’s around 20 years old. The main thing is to look for fret wear, a refret is expensive!
As an alternative in your budget there are lots of good options new rather than use so would be less of a risk if you’re not sure what to look for with a used one.
For example, to get a ‘big name’ guitar as good as this you would pay at least double the price!
https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_custom_line_cld_41se_wn.htm
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline TheJoker1432

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 02:58:42 pm »
What model would you recommend new for 250€? I thought new decent ones are mostly at 500+

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 04:07:40 pm »
What you have to realise is Harley Benton is their own brand, there is no middle man so you get very good value from that brand. The quality is pretty decent, it hadn’t used to be but that was a few years ago. I’ve got three of their guitars, two acoustics and one electric and for what I paid for them they are nothing short of amazing!
All of mine have been B stock - ex demo or customer returns; all were ok just the odd cosmetic mark.
Have a look at this one, it’s great value, same as the previous one but without the pick up.
https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_custom_line_cld_41s_wn.htm

Offline TheJoker1432

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 06:03:25 pm »
What you have to realise is Harley Benton is their own brand, there is no middle man so you get very good value from that brand. The quality is pretty decent, it hadn’t used to be but that was a few years ago. I’ve got three of their guitars, two acoustics and one electric and for what I paid for them they are nothing short of amazing!
All of mine have been B stock - ex demo or customer returns; all were ok just the odd cosmetic mark.
Have a look at this one, it’s great value, same as the previous one but without the pick up.

That one looks really great. I have heard its not the best quality brand but after all I am looking at budget and this seems to be within it.

Do you have any knowledge on similiarily priced Recording King guitars or Fenders like these:

recording_king_rd_g6_solid_top_dreadnought

fender_f_1030sce_na_dreadnought

fender_cd_140sce_nat

Or maybe a higher up Harley Benton

harley_benton_cld_30scm_solidwood

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 06:11:16 pm »
My band's guitar player has a Recording King RD-310 (I think) which is pretty cool. I have a Recording King banjo that I'm extremely happy with. Their quality seems to be pretty darn good for the price.

I've played a Fender CD-140 once and it was alright.

I never played a Harley Benton.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 07:51:49 pm »
If you’re not sure about Harley Benton then the Recording Kings are pretty good, I’ve played one of their parlour guitars and it was nice, read the reviews on the Harley Benton I pointed you to, also have a look at some of the YouTube reviews on their guitars.

Offline MichaelJD

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 05:52:12 am »
Not sure if the second hand would be a good option for the price. I would buy a new one if I were you. But the idea of buying one from your music teacher isn't bad at all

Get The Forum As A Mobile App