Author Topic: String changes on a Fender MIM strat  (Read 655 times)

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
String changes on a Fender MIM strat
« on: July 06, 2018, 07:52:23 am »
I have a new strat ( standard, not the new player series) and changed the strings.

When tuned the ball ends of the strings are visible through the hole in the bottom of the back plate but when the strings are cut to remove them then the block is pulled by the springs away from the hole. Because of this had to remove the backplate to change the strings.
Is this normal, I don't think the screw holes will last too long with regular string changes and having to remove the backplate every time.

Jono

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: String changes on a Fender MIM strat
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 09:11:34 am »
That’s normal, once you take the strings off the spring tension on the trem pulls the block back. In the past I used a small round file to elongate the holes so I could string it without removing the rear cover but by preference I would glue a 2 or 3mm threaded insert into the guitar (after making the correct size hole to accept the insert) using epoxy glue.
I don’t have a trem guitar at the moment but when I get my PRS SE (or copy) that’s what I shall do.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 09:37:15 am »
Thanks Darrell.
Any idea what the hole is for.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 09:58:34 am »
That’s one of the reasons you see a lot of Strats and Teles without the backplate. It’s a lot quicker to change strings without it.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 10:53:24 am »
Teles are just strung right through the body so no backplate, as they don't have a trem system.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 12:19:55 pm »
Thanks Darrell.
Any idea what the hole is for.

Sorry I meant the obround slot, but it probably is easier to leave it off - less of a frig 🤣🤣🤣

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 01:49:31 pm »
As stated, leaving the backplate off makes changing strings a little quicker. Important if you bust a B string in front of a crowd of thousands I suppose, less so if you're playing to an audience of one.

You can get bullet end strings designed to drop into the trem block and not get stuck like ball ends can.

As it goes, I don't usually have a problem restringing my Strat or Jagmaster through the backplate. But I'm a rock god  ;D
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline rfriday

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 03:20:15 pm »
I took the back plate off of my strat the first time I changed strings on it and haven't put it back since.    Easy peasy.
Guitars: Fender Am. Special HSS Strat (black on black),  Schecter C-1 Custom, Epi SG 400 Pro, Seagull Entourage CW GT QI, Yamaha FGX700SC

Amps:  Fender Mustang III v2, Blackstar HT-5R

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 03:45:59 pm »
What is the hole for though. It must have some cost involved in making it so if it is for string changes why keep it in the wrong place for so many years.
My cheap guitars are all able to be restrung through the hole in the backplate so I assumed that was what the hole was for.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 04:03:09 pm by jono »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 04:39:46 pm »
Yup, that’s what it’s for, they just got it wrong and couldn’t be ar53d to change it 🤣🤣🤣

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 06:33:29 pm »
I can string my G&L through the hole in the backplate; the hole in the backplate of the G&L is easily big enough to restring it even when the block is not under tension.

I've not had to restring a Fender with a trem system.

The cost of cutting a hole is zero. The cost of retooling to cut a different is not. However, it's relatively cheap to do between design changes and production runs, and it does surprise me that after all these decades they've not changed this.

The other option is to change one string at a time, which may keep the trem block under enough tension to keep it accessible through the backplate hole.

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 09:33:28 pm »
On my Revelation ot's an absolute doddle - the holes in the backplate are oval so it works with tension on the trem block or not.
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App