Author Topic: zero experience  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Matek

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
Re: zero experience
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 03:05:40 pm »

It was interesting going through those lessons and seeing how things were presented there - much the same content as JG, but introduced in a different way or in a different order. It sort of made things make more sense, getting a "side view".

I think especially if you feel you're stagnating or if you're bored with or stuck on certain lessons, a little detour can be rewarding.

Very true, you can sometimes learn a lot by getting a 2nd opinion about the same thing, especially things like music theory.
Sometimes that is what helps the idea sink in.

Offline guitarninja

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 03:11:25 pm »
This is all outstanding feedback.

Thank you everyone

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 04:46:32 pm »
This is all outstanding feedback.
Thank you everyone
This is exactly what being on this forum does for you, top notch positive feedback and best advice you’ll ever get anywhere, great reason to be here!!!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline WalrusCandyman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Hey, I managed to learn the F chord...
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 06:13:34 am »
Hello ninja.
I have only just recently picked up guitar for real.  Just now bidding adieu to the time in life when poor choices are fine and the body immune to recklessness and entering the land of long term consequence and nagging regret.  (Seriously kids, eat those veggies.)  Anyway, I am in my mid thirties and have recently quit smoking and sniffing speed.  Things I have done from years. 
Every hear of legally blind?  Well, I'm medically old.
Like you I tried to play in the past, but...
So now with the money that, after bills and such were squared up, was once earmarked for mistakes, I bought a guitar.  Then a second. 
I am still the wet behind the ears, green and pink newbie, and have light years to go, but have a little method that seems to be working well, even with some slight finger deformity. 
Out of the gate I could hit the easy starter chords with not too much trouble.  Shifting was a chore, but..., and there were early tricksters like C...and F.  With fat wide meaty fingers that were lousy with withdrawal and a thumb that was lousy with circumstance of birth, I just knew I would NEVER hit the F.  Even when I hit the C.  So I would plop down in front of the television and watch something while mindlessly strumming, the basic patterns.  It was slow and it was buzzed and popped, and I would look down to try the F
Nope.
But one night I accidentally hit it.
It had been at least two months and it was an accident.
One I promptly made again.  And again. 
And it broke some psychic block down.  If I could do that, I can do it all.  Sinatra, in old New York, make it anyehere kind of deal.
Pick a chord that you can not do for the life of you.  Cycle through what you know, come to your one...and then when you show yourself you have done that, the rest will come.  Not all at once, but it will start to pick up speed.
(The safe kind.)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 07:01:09 am »
Welcome to JustinGuitar land, WC. Love that handle. Loved your style telling your story. Good for you for changing gears and heading down the guitar man road. Go well.

Offline WalrusCandyman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Hey, I managed to learn the F chord...
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 07:26:02 am »
Welcome to JustinGuitar land, WC. Love that handle. Loved your style telling your story. Good for you for changing gears and heading down the guitar man road. Go well.
Thank'ya Sir.
It is surely a road I am eager to see more of.  It's one of those cool ones, not bound by space or time.  I am pleasantly surprised to find the songs and styles I was previously unaware of.  It's like that old Cash song about building a Cadillac car over a course of a lifetime.  On this road it's 1976 but also 1907, 1860, and 2014.
Anyway, hope to meet up along the road again sometime. 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 08:51:29 am »
Well judging by the way you've jumped in and begun to participate,  I'm sure we'll meet up plenty in this Community. And when you're ready head on over to the boards where people share their music, mostly covers but some originals as well. You'll find it all under Performance and Progress. I find inspiration and education there, invaluable part of my learning. Eventually I can only encourage you to begin recording yourself, when you can play through some songs. And it doesn't have to be complicated, just a mobile phone is good enough to get that ball rolling.

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Live, Love, Play Guitar!
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 05:34:21 am »
Hi there,
just remember that everyone starts out with 0 experience! I started when I was nine (self-taught), and got tablature (if anyone remembers what that is) and some help from a friend who was slightly more advanced than I. In high school, I could play a bunch of Led Zeppelin songs, but I've been out of practice for over 20 years.
Finding a friend that plays, or watching guitar videos, is a great way to start. Don't get discouraged because you're not a rockstar in a month. It takes time, dedication, and a love for the instument. Keep practicing, you'll get it. ps I started out playing music I hated, like "Country Roads", but it helped me to get to where I was before my 20 year break in which I wish I hadn't let someone tell me to quit.
Be good to yourself!
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller

Offline Rufusragatip

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • I can pick my nose but cant pick a guitar string.
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 10:08:14 pm »
I caught the bus just after you, Matek.
Never played a guitar before, but always wanted to do so. Found Justin's website and have camped here ever since.
I'm still greener than grass, and I still struggle to do my chords, but I am as happy as a puppy dog chewing a slipper. When it goes boobies-up, which is at least once every hour (15 minutes is an hour, right?;D), I would usually cuss and throw the rattle out the pram if things didn't go the way they should when doing something I am passionate about - now I do something more constructive. I go to my 'tab' folder and practise something different for 30 minutes or so whilst drinking a coffee.
My wife has even commented on how I have mellowed since learning the guitar.
Let see what she says when she finds out I just ordered a 50's classic Strat which is arriving tomorrow. (I will blame Justin for advertising/selling a Tshirt which states you can never have too many guitars  ;D ;D)

Kind regards
Rufus

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Racism is in the eye of an idiot' - Rufusragatip 2018

'Judge not, until you judge yourself' - Robert 'Nesta' Marley 1962

Offline Rufusragatip

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • I can pick my nose but cant pick a guitar string.
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 01:26:01 pm »
Just a very quick update -
I now have a 'Rosie' to keep 'Greta', 'Goldie' and 'Ruby' company.
Sadly my wife didn't take too kindly to me 'forgetting' to mention that UPS was delivering today.

The wife - 'Why did you buy another guitar when you can't play any of the others properly yet'?

Me - 'Isn't she beautiful'?

The wife - 'Surely you should be able to play one of the other guitars before you buy any more'?

Me - 'You don't hear me saying the same about you being able to cook before you buy new saucepans'?

,..............anyway, I'm off to have this frying pan removed by a proctologist. I may be a while. ;D ;D
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Racism is in the eye of an idiot' - Rufusragatip 2018

'Judge not, until you judge yourself' - Robert 'Nesta' Marley 1962

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 01:38:43 pm »
Just a very quick update -
I now have a 'Rosie' to keep 'Greta', 'Goldie' and 'Ruby' company.
Sadly my wife didn't take too kindly to me 'forgetting' to mention that UPS was delivering today.

The wife - 'Why did you buy another guitar when you can't play any of the others properly yet'?

Me - 'Isn't she beautiful'?

The wife - 'Surely you should be able to play one of the other guitars before you buy any more'?

Me - 'You don't hear me saying the same about you being able to cook before you buy new saucepans'?

,..............anyway, I'm off to have this frying pan removed by a proctologist. I may be a while. ;D ;D
Ah delightful ... nothing like a good LMAO moment.

Seems like a gap in guitar literature for something that an be gifted to the partners of the severely GAS inflected ... at least they may shift from anger and frustration to some sympathy ... OK, maybe add some sympathy to the anger and frustration as yet another guitar, amplifier, pedal arrives :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App