Author Topic: zero experience  (Read 2056 times)

Offline guitarninja

• Good Vibes 0
zero experience
« on: July 03, 2018, 06:47:47 am »
I'm interested in hearing about people's experience here who had no prior knowledge or training in guitar playing.

I'm brand new, just beginning to play at the age of 44 and just bought my first electric guitar, amp and accessories.  My daughter may be interested too, so this could be something fun for us to do together.  She also has no previous musical training in any instrument.

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
Re: zero experience
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 09:27:10 am »
I had absolutely zero experience playing any kind of instrument when I picked up a guitar about two years ago at the age of 46. I like to sing, but I don't read notes or know any music theory.

I was surprised at how physically challenging I found it for the first few months. My hands are pretty strong, but I found my fretting hand seizing up and aching after playing just for 10 minutes. I know that's from "the death grip" and you're supposed to relax and play lightly, but there is a reason for the death grip - it helps keep your fingers where they're supposed to be... As my dexterity improved I could relax a bit, at the same time I think my hands simply got a little stronger. I also found I need to limber them up a bit before playing.

I was also surprised at how sloppy my rhythm was. I found strumming patterns fairly easy to pick up - count them out and play slowly until the rhythm is "internalized", then speed up, but keeping a steady rhythm was harder than I thought. The metronome is a killer like that ;-)

On the positive side it was very rewarding to find that chords that felt totally impossible the first few times feel natural after some weeks of practice. The same for coordinating fretting and strumming hands.

I practice way too little, though. I would recommend practicing every day if at all possible for the first few months, even if it's only for short periods of time.
BC Stage 8 started January 2018
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline guitarninja

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 09:30:39 am »
Thank you! Has JusitnGuitar been your only resource for learning?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 10:33:12 am »
I started in 2013 with only little experience playing guitar from way back when I was 13. Being 47 now my previous experience sure doesn't count.
Like Laila I experienced the usual death-grip, the fatique and learning how in-flexible my hands were. Biggest issues as I recall was to teach my fingers independency.

I stayed solely to Justins courses for the next 4 years doing the Beginners-, Intermediate-, Fingerstyle-, Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead Courses. And during that period I joined a band primarily as rhythm guitarist, but the last year or so I have ventured into playing more lead lines and a few solos.
Just a week ago I started the Country Lead Course which is great for building my Country lick library.

I have looked into Guitartricks.com as Justin doesn't offer much in this genre, and it is a nice combination, but I must say that I am happy that I have the foundation from this site.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Holensum

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 11:29:39 am »
Like joerfe, I had a little experience with guitar when I was 13/14, and played French Horn in JHS band. But I hadn't played an instrument since, though I sang in choirs. Christmas 2016, she who must be obeyed gave me an acoustic guitar, and I started the Justin course in January 2017 at 63.

I have been very pleased with Justin's course. His instruction, guidance and structure have been good for my style of learning. Is it the only instruction I used? It was for the first 7/8 months, but there were some oldies that I wanted to learn so I sought out other instructors for that. Still, it is the Justin course I follow every day during my practice sessions, which last between 35 and 55 minutes, typically.

Just be patient with yourself, and you'll be playing in no time. If this old dog can train his left and right hands to work together independently, a young pup like you should have no problem.

Gordon

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 01:48:30 pm »
Like Laila, I had zero experience when I picked up the guitar for the first time nearly 3 years ago at the age of 55. It was something I had wanted to learn when I was younger but I never did anything about. I thought it was too hard and for sure, it's not easy but with the correct structured learning, it's not as hard as I expected. Justin Guitar is pretty much my only source for learning the skills. For learning songs, I use Justin as well as Marty Schwartz and a few other Youtube sources. I really took my time on the Beginner course and it went very well. After that I concentrated more on songs and just recently I've begun the Intermediate Foundation course in earnest. Now, music theory is actually sinking into the old brain.

I'm absolutely convinced that if I can learn guitar, then anybody can. And Justin's courses IMO are the best around. Follow the Beginner Course exactly as outlined, practise every single day even if some days you can only pick up the guitar for 10 minutes. Yes, there are moments of frustration but stick with it and you will enjoy triumphs along the way. AND, it is tons of fun. Best of luck!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 06:59:44 pm »
Not exactly zero experience for me but may have well have been.

Got my first guitar for my 40th a Fender Squier Affinty, which was pimped last year to mark its 21st.
Tried learning from books and parts of songs from tab, got nowhere fast and disillusioned even quicker. Having said that I had just restarted my Martials Arts "career", training 3 nights a week, weekend courses and competitions, so with a high stressed shift job in IT, guess I never really rode out those early waves. But I did pick up now and then and murder a few of the songs I learnt.

Jump forward to 2011 and early retirement at 55, Started again using some of the Dummies guitar books but also upped sticks from the UK to France. Anyways kept plonking away while house hunting and then settling in where we are now. Dummies books were ok but like the earlier material I used, seemed to jump all over the place. Like simple chords to melody lines to strumming 1/8s and 1/16s, laying no real foundation.

Found Justin tale end of 2012 and was blown away by the structure and I guess you'd say, pathway. Started the BC in early 2013. Since the have completed the Intermediate, Master The Major Scale (consolidating that at the mo) and am mid way through the Blues Rhythm course. Had a sticky 10 months or so and have not been as focused and need to get my act together. Not helped by some IT losses and crashes that's now hindering recording.

Speaking of which, absolutely bricked it when starting record my self on Audacity before moving on to Reaper and I cringe when I go back to my early Soundcloud posts. But using the Audio Video section of the forum, really helps with feedback and has also led to some collaborative efforts with other forum members. All good for confidence.

The folk here are really helpful and friendly, keen to help and pass on their knowledge or just their own experiences, as we've all been down the same road. Then there's a host of talented experienced players who provide another level of guidance and wisdom.

So stick with the BC and enjoy the ride.

FWIW I also use some other online tutors like Marty Scwartz,  Fretjam and a few others but have found Justin to be the best (for me). I did get GuitarNotesMaster which I found exceptionally useful for neck navigation and theory of the fretboard with some good exercises and well priced.

Anyways, eating in to playing time now but I think that about covers it. Finally I'd just say not only follow the courses but make full use of the forum and folk here. No such thing as a stupid question.

Welcome on board.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline guitarninja

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 09:59:53 pm »
Like joerfe, I had a little experience with guitar when I was 13/14, and played French Horn in JHS band. But I hadn't played an instrument since, though I sang in choirs. Christmas 2016, she who must be obeyed gave me an acoustic guitar, and I started the Justin course in January 2017 at 63.

I have been very pleased with Justin's course. His instruction, guidance and structure have been good for my style of learning. Is it the only instruction I used? It was for the first 7/8 months, but there were some oldies that I wanted to learn so I sought out other instructors for that. Still, it is the Justin course I follow every day during my practice sessions, which last between 35 and 55 minutes, typically.

Just be patient with yourself, and you'll be playing in no time. If this old dog can train his left and right hands to work together independently, a young pup like you should have no problem.

Gordon
Young pup? LOL, thank you. I'm 44.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline guitarninja

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 10:04:52 pm »
Thank you everyone for your input. It's also comforting to hear from people my age or older, who've been successful with this. I think I'll save my dough and use Justin rather than one if the paid sites.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 10:10:06 pm »
Thank you everyone for your input. It's also comforting to hear from people my age or older, who've been successful with this. I think I'll save my dough and use Justin rather than one if the paid sites.

You won't regret your decision. Welcome aboard! Ask questions! Practice, practice, practice! Have fun!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 05:28:28 am »
Very wise decision, you can’t go wrong - good luck and learn songs..... learn songs......learn songs 👍👍👍
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 07:39:44 am »
My wife bought me my first guitar. (I was a bit younger then. I guess she got fed up with me saying: "you know, one of these days i'm going to buy a guitar", that or it was because i had some downtime due to pericarditis.  ;D)

Anyway, absolutely zero expierence, never played an instrument before, whatsoever. After trying some things that came with the instruction manual and some googling around,  my search brought me here. The best thing that could have happened, imho. The lessons are very structured (something a beginner needs, i think), the community is outstanding and the site  (old and new) absolutely rock!. There's free and payed content. You can't go wrong with either. (i tried both, never had any regrets about it).
So, welcome aboard. Practice practice practice and don't forget, it's all about having fun! (And learning to play the guitar, ofcourse) ;D
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Live, Love, Play Guitar!
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 08:31:58 am »
I'm interested in hearing about people's experience here who had no prior knowledge or training in guitar playing.

I'm brand new, just beginning to play at the age of 44 and just bought my first electric guitar, amp and accessories.  My daughter may be interested too, so this could be something fun for us to do together.  She also has no previous musical training in any instrument.
Hi guitar Ninja,
I am pretty much self-taught, and I have been playing acoustic  guitar since I was 9. However, this is my first experience with electric guitar, amps, effect pedals, Etc. So, I do feel like a new player even though I know the basic chords and some barre chords.
I have been working on perfecting a song and Justin's song book, Metallica Nothing Else Matters. I am actually learning lead guitar rather than rhythm; but I still haven't figured out how to use a tick effectively, and I am doing the solo with my fingers! hahaha.
I wish you and your daughter the best of luck and a lot of enjoyment learning how to play the guitar. It really is rewarding. Remember to have fun and just make some noise when you don't feel like playing songs.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 11:11:43 am »
Thank you! Has JusitnGuitar been your only resource for learning?

For the most part, yes. I did take a little detour around Christmas when I discovered I'd inherited an old guitar lesson book with cd with a guitar that I'd bought second-hand. The cd lessons were from the early 90's, and quite entertaining to watch  ;D

It was interesting going through those lessons and seeing how things were presented there - much the same content as JG, but introduced in a different way or in a different order. It sort of made things make more sense, getting a "side view".

I think especially if you feel you're stagnating or if you're bored with or stuck on certain lessons, a little detour can be rewarding.
BC Stage 8 started January 2018
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 12:15:56 pm »
It sort of made things make more sense, getting a "side view".

I think especially if you feel you're stagnating or if you're bored with or stuck on certain lessons, a little detour can be rewarding.

This is an important point.
Different people has different ways of communicating. I really like the way Justin teaches, but I've had quite a few aha moments watching others teach more or less the same techniques.
No harm in getting inspiration from other sources as long as you follow a certain path (like the one laid out by Justin), to keep you on track.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Get The Forum As A Mobile App