Author Topic: Yiha! (share your little beginner successes)  (Read 772 times)

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Yiha! (share your little beginner successes)
« on: August 07, 2018, 01:58:20 pm »
Didn't really find a chatty thread for beginners doing the online course. So there's my little success here. Now first of all, I have two left hands. Or two right hands (that's never quite certain) and started with the beginner course recently. After four days I managed to get to 40 chord changes, so my progression looks like this:

DA 21 29 34 40
AE 24 31 34 42
ED 29 33 35 40
target: 60

Wow, I'm really happy about this, knowing I'm somewhat motorically challenged ::) Now if I could play along to a song, that would help. But it's a little success for me  :)

Offline vinkillah

• Good Vibes 1
Re: Yiha! (share your little beginner successes)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 02:06:19 pm »
Nice one! I got to chords today. Used to play when I was about 10 so have a little muscle memory but damn my fingers are sore.

Baby steps!!!

(though I would reply so I can follow along with someone else's progress)  :)

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:21:39 pm »
Thanks a lot :) yes, my fingers are so sore, especially the index finger from the A chord (I need to change my grip completely as my guitar has a rather thick neck for my lil'hands). I've never played before, or any other instrument, btw. So lets see how it goes. Do keep me posted :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 03:32:21 pm »
Good progress!
Don’t let not being able to do 60 changes stop you from having a go at songs, at 40 you should be able to play a few reasonably well, playing songs will automatically help improve your technique and so your changes. It’s very important to have fun with what you’re doing, playing songs is fun especially when you can recognise what you’re playing.
Stick to the course and don’t let yourself get bored - time off and a bit of a diversion is allowed provided it doesn’t take over! Patience and perseverance is rewarded in learning to play - enjoy it, good luck!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 03:49:20 pm »
Thanks a lot. I diverted a bit towards Ear Training now and am trying to find simple melodies that don't annoy me as I tend to be heavily affected by earworms :-X Not easy as the music I like doesn't really have solos, nor is very mainstream. So now I'm trying to play a song with a fairly simple, and repetitive guitar melody. I managed to find all the notes in a higher key, but not what I need. Doesn't help that I don't have the CD yet and don't fully understand the lyrics (Frisian, not really something I ever learned) and thus can't sing along. I guess I like doing things the complicated way ::) But at least I'm having fun  ;D

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 233
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 05:53:37 pm »
Well done, Rodinia ... progress is to be celebrated !!

When I picked up the guitar again, I started from scratch with stage 1 and A D E.  To get into plying songs and begin developing a sense of timing/rhythm I adopted the approach of playing along with Justin.

And the recommended song is Three Little Birds.  I followed along with the lesson.  And when Justin would play through the song with those 4 ever so slow down strums per bar, then I try to follow him.  And I couldn't ... and a short while later I could ... then I could follow as he sang the song at authentic tempo at the start of the lesson.

And the rest is history ... ok maybe not history ... but in the next 128 odd months I have made massive progress following the programme as Darrell said ...

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 03:27:52 am »
Welcome to the forum Rodina. You've made a great start. Both Darrell and DavidP have given you very good advise. Make sure you are having fun, be patient and kind with yourself, celebrate your progress and keep practicing. 

Offline ArcticNacho

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 08:47:30 am »
Hi Rodinia! Congrats for your progress! I've started one year ago, having absolutely zero experience with any musical instrument. I've just thought it was impossible for me to be able to play the guitar, but I approached learning how to play as I approached some years ago learning how to speak English (I'm from Spain): a little bit of practice every day, trying not to miss any day even if it was just for a 5 minutes practice. And my objective was to be able to "communicate" with the guitar, even if my accent is never going to be very pretty :) And today, thanks to the amazing Justin's method and my stubbornness, I've just finished the Beginner's level and I have a dozen songs that I can enjoy playing :D So keep going and let us know how you are doing, I promise it's possible!

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 09:46:09 am »
@ rodinia
There's a sticky you may wish to read

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=32477.0

:)

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 01:12:25 pm »
@ rodinia
There's a sticky you may wish to read

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=32477.0

:)

Ugh, I seem to be sticky-blind  ::) Thanks a lot!

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 01:19:21 pm »
Hi Rodinia! Congrats for your progress! I've started one year ago, having absolutely zero experience with any musical instrument. I've just thought it was impossible for me to be able to play the guitar, but I approached learning how to play as I approached some years ago learning how to speak English (I'm from Spain): a little bit of practice every day, trying not to miss any day even if it was just for a 5 minutes practice. And my objective was to be able to "communicate" with the guitar, even if my accent is never going to be very pretty :) And today, thanks to the amazing Justin's method and my stubbornness, I've just finished the Beginner's level and I have a dozen songs that I can enjoy playing :D So keep going and let us know how you are doing, I promise it's possible!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Thanks a lot ActicNacho! Great to hear that you're getting there. Keep it up (and I hope I manage as well).

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 03:55:01 pm »
DA 21 29 34 40 44
AE 24 31 34 42 54
ED 29 33 35 40 49
target: 60

Getting better. I get most sounds fairly clean without looking all the time (still looking every few strums though)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App