Author Topic: Some old stuff that I made when I started at Justin guitar  (Read 321 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
  • It's all in the mind!
Some old stuff that I made when I started at Justin guitar
« on: July 20, 2018, 03:39:15 am »
These date way back to 2014 and 2015. Just to fill the time while I start on some more newer stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9w5EmmU1rk - I'm only sleeping by The Beatles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHlJaa7D0bg - Happy Xmas by John Lennon

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: Some old stuff that I made when I started at Justin guitar
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 06:53:24 am »
You were pretty decent then, not really a beginner - looks like you were having fun!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 01:10:47 pm »
I always knew my chords. Wasn’t good with soloing 😊 I knew all the open chords before I started at Justin guitar but to be honest I did have plenty of retakes to be able to sing along with the guitar. Doing the beginners course helped me a lot with keeping the rhythm going and my general sound. I struggled plenty with barre chords after that. And I’d say I’m still stuck in the IM with a lot of the techniques. I’m working with blues lead and soloing now. It’s been a 4 year journey.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:30:32 pm by Balamuthiah »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 166
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 03:34:02 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Bala.  I took a look at a few more of the videos on your Channel.  You must be thrilled when you look back and see the progress from those recordings to your cover of All Along the Watchtower.  What struck me watching those videos was your strong sense of rhythm and timing on the strumming.  As you say, couple of the barre chords need a little extra work but overall pretty good going. And your phrasing of the vocals with your playing was pretty good going as well.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 04:42:45 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Bala.  I took a look at a few more of the videos on your Channel.  You must be thrilled when you look back and see the progress from those recordings to your cover of All Along the Watchtower.  What struck me watching those videos was your strong sense of rhythm and timing on the strumming.  As you say, couple of the barre chords need a little extra work but overall pretty good going. And your phrasing of the vocals with your playing was pretty good going as well.

Thank you David! But please don’t tell me you say through my “yesterday” and “across the universe”. I’m a big Beatles fan so I used to do a lot of their songs. I need to redo them sometime “and make it better” (they are sad songs 😂).
As for the rhythm I completely owe it to Justin. “Never stop strumming!” That was always on my mind even when the chords didn’t sound right. And like he says I get away with it more than playing the chords right with bad rhythm. With that said I’m having issues with keeping the rhythm with my solos now. Any tips from you guys on that? And like I mentioned on my other post sustaining bends and adding vibratos to them?

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 166
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 05:01:20 pm »
I confess, Bala, listened to Yesterday ... just about made me want to have a go :) 

I noticed the absolute Lennon/McCartney domination in those recordings :) Kind of hard to really argue with your choices, though I am more of a Rolling Stone lover than the Beatles (the best recording I have made since I started is definitely an early Stones tune, but none of their classics ... yet). 

As for tips on solos, I can only suggest that you lay down some simple backing tracks and video yourself playing lead over the backing.  Post the videos and I expect some folk will chip in ... not me ... I am still very much BC, just starting to try some lead playing (as per that best recording, the one and only so far).

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 05:11:02 pm »
I think that I can help here, trust your ears!
Listen to the solo you want to play a lot and get the feel of it into your head, then have a go. Another thing is don’t trust TAB, use it as a guide but check it to the original recording, TABs are often not totally correct so check them critically.
To learn the techniques you feel your lacking have a go at Justin’s lesson of Peter Green’s Need your love so bad solo, it’s nice and short but full of the things you want to learn - one of my favourites that I really enjoy playing.
https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/peter-green-need-your-love-so-bad-solo-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-cs-003

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 05:11:13 pm »
I confess, Bala, listened to Yesterday ... just about made me want to have a go :) 

I noticed the absolute Lennon/McCartney domination in those recordings :) Kind of hard to really argue with your choices, though I am more of a Rolling Stone lover than the Beatles (the best recording I have made since I started is definitely an early Stones tune, but none of their classics ... yet). 

As for tips on solos, I can only suggest that you lay down some simple backing tracks and video yourself playing lead over the backing.  Post the videos and I expect some folk will chip in ... not me ... I am still very much BC, just starting to try some lead playing (as per that best recording, the one and only so far).

Haha yesterday was even before I started to actually learn guitar. I picked up a few chords from a friend and decided to have a go. Very very rash decision that! And my sis recorded the video and was insistent on posting it online. It was pretty much my first recorded work ever. 2010 I believe. I gave up guitar for 4 years after that 😂
The Beatles was my starting point however I traced back to roots in the blues and discovered a whole list of people including Charlie Patton, howling wolf, muddy waters, scrapper Blackwell, Robert Johnson etc. so in the name of the blues I do love The Rolling Stones as well. In fact I went to their concert three years ago! It was amazing!
And soloing... I’ve given improvisation a go before. Maybe two years ago now and I have a couple of audio recordings but they all just sound like I’m playing up and down the scale. I could post them to get feedback later tonight. But I really wanna get the “feeling”! I’ll work on it though! 👍🏾

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 05:15:20 pm »
I think that I can help here, trust your ears!
Listen to the solo you want to play a lot and get the feel of it into your head, then have a go. Another thing is don’t trust TAB, use it as a guide but check it to the original recording, TABs are often not totally correct so check them critically.
To learn the techniques you feel your lacking have a go at Justin’s lesson of Peter Green’s Need your love so bad solo, it’s nice and short but full of the things you want to learn - one of my favourites that I really enjoy playing.

Really appreciate that Darrell! I’ll check out that lesson. I guess I’ll follow that up with some improvs and try to add licks that I have a hang of now. Another quick question... I know improv is an on the spot thing but do you guys plan ahead what you would try and won’t try?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 05:22:48 pm »
Really appreciate that Darrell! I’ll check out that lesson. I guess I’ll follow that up with some improvs and try to add licks that I have a hang of now. Another quick question... I know improv is an on the spot thing but do you guys plan ahead what you would try and won’t try?
Personally I don’t, I hear something I like and have a go; when I was younger I tried a couple of Satriani/Vai pieces and failed miserably and ended up giving up for a while, now I am more sensible and only try the slower more simple stuff - mainly blues!
This is something I posted a while ago to demonstrate what you can do with first position blues scale.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GV76Xks2AnrQsOOeteddw4i1M4R8BiiU

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 06:06:22 pm »
Personally I don’t, I hear something I like and have a go; when I was younger I tried a couple of Satriani/Vai pieces and failed miserably and ended up giving up for a while, now I am more sensible and only try the slower more simple stuff - mainly blues!
This is something I posted a while ago to demonstrate what you can do with first position blues scale.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GV76Xks2AnrQsOOeteddw4i1M4R8BiiU

Wow! Darrell you’ve certainly got the blues. See that’s the sorta stuff I like. Slow or fast, they must have some feel to it. Your solo has the feel. I’ll give it a shot today and see how it goes.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 07:16:16 pm »
https://soundcloud.com/balamuthiah/sets/blues-improv-in-am

Check these out. These were the only ones which were audible enough.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 08:52:58 pm »
Not bad, you’ve got some useful content there but I think you need to think about the question - reply structure more, take a look at this YT channel for inspiration, this guy is the master of blues! I really like his channel and there’s some really good tuition on there!
https://www.youtube.com/user/daddystovepipe

Offline Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 09:01:26 pm »
Not bad, you’ve got some useful content there but I think you need to think about the question - reply structure more, take a look at this YT channel for inspiration, this guy is the master of blues! I really like his channel and there’s some really good tuition on there!
https://www.youtube.com/user/daddystovepipe

I’ve heard about that structure. Some bluesmen do talk about it themselves. I’ll make sure I check out the channel. Thank you once again Darrell! By the way from what I’ve heard so far your solos are very good.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App