Author Topic: What Acoustic is best for Finger Style .  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Tassie

• Good Vibes 2
What Acoustic is best for Finger Style .
« on: June 26, 2018, 06:05:16 am »
G'day ,I have been learning for around 14 months and have found that I quite enjoy and favor finger style playing ,Travis picking etc,I have a Cort dreadnought that is fine but I would like a finger style specific guitar if such a guitar exists ,I am not sure if name specific requests are allowed on this forum but as I live in Australia I have a liking for the local products ,Maton  ,Cole Clarke makes but if anyone can recommend a particular model especially if you use one it would be appreciated ,I am also interested in any other makes that may be suitable ,thanks a heap ,Tassie.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
Re: What Acoustic is best for Finger Style .
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 06:09:17 am »
Any acoustic can do fingerstyle. Matons and Coles are premium makers, so best to try them out. I find them much the same, as Coles was started by ex Maton builders. Getting the right body size is more important than anything else.

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 06:46:14 am »
Take a look at 00/000 size guitars, as above Finger pickers tend to favour the smaller size guitars. Cole Clarke and Maton are superb guitars and if your pockets are deep enough an excellent choice!
This might help.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:14:56 am by DarrellW »
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Guitar_65riff

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 09:37:25 am »
I have tried many guitars over the years. I always come back to the Cole Clark and now have one of each size acoustics. (FL2-AN2 and LL2) out of the 3 I prefer the rich tones of the Fat Lady but the ease of playing of the Angel. However, Maton sound amazing too. Best to go into a store and play a few different types; see what appeals to you. See what sits 'right' with you. Let us know what you choose.

You never stop learning

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 10:46:42 am »
The dreadnought will be fine for fingerpicking but if you have the GAS for a new guitar go for it … may be different body size / shape as already mentioned.
:)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 03:31:44 pm »
I started out on a dread, but for me it is way too big and I tend to get a sore right shoulder. After I got my OM sized Sigma I never have any issues.
Personally I find that a slightly wider neck fells easier for fingerstyle.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Guitar_65riff

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 03:38:33 pm »
I started out on a dread, but for me it is way too big and I tend to get a sore right shoulder. After I got my OM sized Sigma I never have any issues.
Personally I find that a slightly wider neck fells easier for fingerstyle.
I was the same although I'm lucky enough to have a choice, I almost always go for the smaller bodied Angel 2

You never stop learning

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 03:55:05 pm »
Take some of the nylon string guitars for a spin at your local shop. I have an old Yamaha guitar that is great for fingerstyle playing, throaty deep tone too. The strings are a bit wider apart than a regular steel string, which has its pluses and minuses, but it is easier on the fingers and a lot of fun for fingerstyle.   

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Guitar_65riff

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 06:06:46 pm »
And, looking at Godin, one of the most pleasurable guitars I am pleased to own and play daily is the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin p90.
Not only does she sound lovely plugged in but also has a sweet acoustic sound which is actually louder than any of my Cole Clark's

You never stop learning

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 11:08:53 pm »
To borrow a quote from photographer Chase Jarvis, modified for guitar:
The best guitar is the one you have with you.

One of the most iconic and pioneering fingerstyle guitarists ever used a dreadnought. A Martin D-28 to be exact. Can you guess who that could be?

Yup, Michael Hedges. He collected various guitars over the years, but he's mostly known for using his D-28 and the Dyer harp guitar.

That said, I love my Taylor GS Mini-e koa for fingerstyle. Any of the GS Mini variants would do, though. They all sound great and play wonderfully.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Tassie

• Good Vibes 2
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 01:23:24 am »
G'day and thanks for the replies,I have some time to go yet before I make the commitment and hand over a quite large sum of money for me and purchase a high end guitar with a specific use such as picking , I suffered badly from the ukulele acquisition syndrome (7) before buying one made by a local luthier ,should have bought it first !!!
I have had a little play with a Cole Clarke Angel 2 pretty nice ,I would still like to hear even more from those who have had a particular guitar for some time and comment on its continued sound etc (aging) ,thanks for the great and quick responses so far ,cheers . :)Tassie.

Offline Guitar_65riff

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 10:34:36 am »
I would always go with with either a Cole Clark or a Maton. Beautiful, sounds amazing and sustainable timbers.
Every Cole Clark is unique

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App