Author Topic: Need help finding first acoustic guitar  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Beasti

• Good Vibes 1
Need help finding first acoustic guitar
« on: June 13, 2018, 05:17:39 pm »
Hello,

I've been playing for couple of years now and I'm looking to buy my first acoustic guitar. I checked couple of different web stores like thomann and was overwhelmed by different types of acoustic guitars they are offering. I don't have lots of room to store guitars so I would like to get one that suits me for a long time.

So far I've been playing with electric guitar only and that is great for practicing different kinds of music, but lately I've noticed that I mainly like to strum along with acoustic songs like Eddie Vedder or Johnny Cash songs. The "acoustic" sound from my electric guitar + modeling amp is quite horrible. It's not really acoustic kind of sound, way too much bass no matter what I do.

I guess the most suitable type of acoustic guitar for strumming would be dreadnought type, but I live and play in a apartment that shares walls with three neighbors. So a I can't really have a loud acoustic guitar either. And I'm definitely never going to play publicly for anyone, it's just a hobby for me.

I'm not sure if there are soft sounding acoustic guitars for playing in the couch or is maybe electro-acoustic the correct type for me. But it should be good for strumming and decent for fingerpicking also.

My budget is flexible I just want to find one that I can play in my apartment without distracting the neighbors and that would sound good playing along with acoustic songs.

Thanks in advance.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
Re: Need help finding first acoustic guitar
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:57:45 pm »
Have a look at 00 or 000 size guitars or maybe something like a Taylor GS mini or Martin Dreadnought mini, for the 00 or 000 size Martin, Sigma, Recording king, or something you like the look of here
https://m.thomann.de/gb/0-00-000_bodysize.html
If you want to save money Harley Benton are OK but obviously at the price don’t expect the quality of the more prestigious brands, that said I now have a HB Jazzmaster and a GS travel acoustic (the Mahogany one) and after a bit of setting up they are pretty decent instruments.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 06:13:13 pm »
I second the 00 size. I have 6 acoustics of all sizes and my L00 epi is the one I grab the most when sitting
on the couch. As for loadness that depends on you and your technique. Any guitar can be played as loud or
as soft as you want. The pick you use or don't use, how hard or soft you strum all contribute to how loud your
guitar is.

Offline Beasti

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:58:50 pm »
Thank you for the responses. This already narrows the search a lot. I'll start looking for 00 sized guitar. Unfortunately I don't have any guitar shops nearby, but I guess there are good reviews now days for every model almost.

If I get one for price range of 500€ I guess I should get one that is comfortable to play and sounds good. I'll start with tge models from the thomann page you linked.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.

Offline Beasti

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 10:59:40 am »
Thanks! It looks like the The Loar LH-204-BR Brownstone is the winner. Found great reviews of it. Sounds good and looks good. It really seems perfect fit for my needs.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 01:30:56 pm »
I'd get this and add an ES-Go if you need a pickup.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/taylor_gs_mini_mahogany_b_stock.htm

I have koa version and it's my favorite guitar. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I would complement it with something crazy expensive (to me) though.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Beasti

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 02:49:34 pm »
I'd get this and add an ES-Go if you need a pickup.

I have koa version and it's my favorite guitar. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I would complement it with something crazy expensive (to me) though.

Mic is actually something I would like to have. I was looking at this guitar also, it seems very good option. Price isn't an issue, I'd rather pay a bit more to get a good one.

By the way what does it mean when guitar model is B-stock?

Edit: googled it. Seems it's returned item to the store and can't be sold as "new" item anymore. Any bad experiences with these? Sounds that it usually shouldn't be a problem, I guess they make sure the issues are fixed if there were any.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 04:05:08 pm »
Half of my gear was B-stock, from various stores including Thomann. Go figure. ;)

If money is no object then I'd skip the pickup altogether and get a small audio interface and mic instead, since you don't plan on gigging with it. I do very occasionally gig and frankly the koa version wasn't available without pickup.
Production and mixing

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 07:26:22 pm »
Both of mine were B stock, both I put my preferred strings on and set the action to my preferred setting, both which I would do anyway.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline NewDude

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 03:18:58 pm »
Thanks! It looks like the The Loar LH-204-BR Brownstone is the winner. Found great reviews of it. Sounds good and looks good. It really seems perfect fit for my needs.

I got this guitar, really like it. Really great for fingerpicking, and alright for strumming. Has a very dark/melancholy sound, not very bright. Kind of a special tone to it.
If you do alot of fingerpicking i'd recommended it highly. For campfire strumming type of songs, you might like something a little brighter.

If you have any questions regarding this guitar, feel free to ask. I had a hard time finding reviews / opinions of it on the internet when i bought it atleast.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 10:01:30 pm »
I'm hearing and seeing good things tied to Orangewood Guitars. Check out the prices! They are also designed and setup here in California. Lots of youtube vids if you want to check them out. I won't get into the best sizes as I am all in for jumbos and dreads, the bigger the better!

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 01:24:18 am »
the bigger the better!
I hope you didn't/don't pick your partner that way. ::)

I guess it was rather evident I'm not very tall with my GS Mini suggestion. Whenever I play a 17" jumbo my elbow is just about in my ear. Gretsch made an 18" jumbo I can't even imagine playing that.

I've seen a bit of the Orangewood hype I can't even think to spend that little on a new acoustic guitar unless it's for traveling. Electric makes a little more sense to me, perhaps wrongly, because you can fix them up a little easier and upgrade a lot if you wanted to.
Production and mixing

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 07:13:06 am »
OP is in Europe and wants a small guitar and has selected the Loar ...
:)

Offline DUrquhart

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 08:11:33 pm »
Just started learning the guitar myself and was finding the dreadnought a wee bit uncomfortable so decided to bite the bullet and get something smaller.  Ended up with the Taylor Academy e12 which is grand concert size and I think it's great.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App