Author Topic: 003 2018 - Love Is All Around  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: 003 2018 - Love Is All Around
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 10:16:45 am »
Sounds pretty good to me. Didn't here any mistake. Picking sounds good too. You definitely can play that song.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Ibanez AW300ECE-NT
Started  IM February 22, 2016
Finished BC January 25, 2016
https://soundcloud.com/user-601635174

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 166
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 05:51:53 pm »
Thanks for listening and the positive feedback, Rolandson; much appreciated !!

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 06:23:52 am »
Hi,
Took this in and enjoyed it much. Found the guitar play and vocals to have been done well. Mix seems pretty good. My ears could be fooling me but I hear something of an artifact around the 0:20 area. Not sure if that is bumping the mic stand or what...? I would describe the noise as a rumble bump type of sound.. Also around about 2:00 and 2:17 is some sort of "picking" sound??? Not sure what it is but I found this distracting from your fine performance. All things that after you focus on them can be an area of improvement in the future.

But this is minor stuff for sure as the overall performance is very good and much to my liking. Great job and you have come a long ways in a relatively short period of time. So take a bow as I look for more of this upward trend in your future offerings....

Rock on - In your own way,
LB

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 166
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 09:52:51 pm »
Thanks very much listening andthe encouraging feedback, Lbro.

I'm not sure exactly what the little distractions are. Probably something in the way I changed into a chord perhaps not clean and correcting a finger position or a pluck that was not clean. Then use of the compressor on the guitar track may have exaggerated the flaw.

For interest sake I used the same compressor plugin on the guitar in series three times, each one relatively light which was intended to smooth out some the unwanted extra loud or soft notes.

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 04:41:25 pm »
David, a great sound you've got going here.  I've listened a number of times.  The fingerpicking is very clean; so clean it almost sounds like it's being done with a plectrum.  Did you use compression on the guitar?  Whatever, it's a very "clean" job of it and sounds good.  I think your vocal on this is pretty outstanding and you've done a nice job of it.  The only nitpik I'd have is I personally don't care for the type of reverb used at 59 and I think 2:13.  Sounds like a plate type reverb to me.  But that's purely minor and definitely a personal preference.   Overall, well done and a good and relaxing listen!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 166
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 05:13:22 pm »
Thanks Dave, appreciate you listening and the feedback that is both encouraging and thought-provoking.

Picking was all done with fingers.  I have grown my nails a little ... challenge to keep the nails at just the right length.  And definitely not going to get myself a set of custom falsies :)

I recorded two tracks simultaneously ... my vocal, with a degree of guitar bleed, and clean guitar direct.  I used the stock Reaper compressor on the clean guitar.  I put three in series and tried to apply gentle compression, to bring up the softer notes and tame the extra loud bass notes, where the plucking lost some consistency.

I liked the effect I got with.  Though was at times in two minds on some of the bass in the chorus ... but in the end I decided liked it having a little more bite to it.  But maybe that wasn't so much the compression as due to playing the chorus slightly differently to the verse, a different picking pattern.

I listened back at the points you mention and I see that is the start of the chorus.  So I think what you are hearing there is some double-tracking of the vocal.  I didn't have time to record clean additional takes, so "cheated" by duplicating and adding a little delay.  Oh and I also think I applied a Haas effect plugin on the chorus (not at my PC, so can't check and cant recall if it made the final mix or if I dropped it).  I was looking for something much fuller and wider to lift the vocal on the chorus. 

But fairly sure that what you are hearing is vocal processing with delays, rather than reverb.  Hmmm, that said, the vocal is all run through Waves CLA Vocals plugin, which adds some compression, reverb and delay.  No idea what reverb that would be, though I try to keep it light.

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 02:49:48 am »
David, Thanks for the in-depth look at what you did.  Ah, the old fingernail plectrums.   ;D  You are really getting a good sound there.   Not sure what you mean by three in series.  Three tracks?
Had to look up the psychoacoustic Haas pluglin, which is pretty cool.  I wasn't familiar with it.  I think the slap reverb on CLA would sound something like a Plate reverb, but not sure.   The double-track with delay is probably what I'm hearing.   Your mixing knowledge is light-years ahead of anything I know, and you're doing a great job of it.  Thanks again.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 166
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 05:47:45 am »
David, Thanks for the in-depth look at what you did.  Ah, the old fingernail plectrums.   ;D  You are really getting a good sound there.   Not sure what you mean by three in series.  Three tracks?
Had to look up the psychoacoustic Haas pluglin, which is pretty cool.  I wasn't familiar with it.  I think the slap reverb on CLA would sound something like a Plate reverb, but not sure.   The double-track with delay is probably what I'm hearing.   Your mixing knowledge is light-years ahead of anything I know, and you're doing a great job of it.  Thanks again.
Thanks Dave.

Can't imagine I am light-years ahead, based on the songs you share ... certainly have lift off, have achieved orbit round earth and set forth for the moon :)  But appreciate the compliment.

I think the quality of the sound is mostly a reflection of the quality of the guitar.  I had it setup after coincidentally meeting a luthier at the fingerstyle workshop I posted about.  Apart from it improving the play-ability of the guitar, which I was pretty happy with out-the-box, he was really complimentary of the tone.  IN fact, expressing surprise at how good it sounds ... kind of a double-edged compliment that was  :) He spoke of being surprised to find the bridge and the pins were both ebony.  He prefers that tone to the sound you get if the bridge is rosewood.  All beyond me, I just know that I am growing into this guitar, with plenty still to go ... it is a far higher quality instrument than I am player.   

What I mean by three in series is that I have added the same compressor plugin as an Fx on the clean guitar Reaper track.  As I recall the first plugin is an EQ, then I added the compressor three times, one after the other, so I compress the compressed track and then compress it again.  Each time it is done with low gain reduction and small make-up gain and a threshold set to catch just the highest level transients.  The idea I had is this would lift everything a little and just reduce those extra loud highest notes, the ones that sounded too loud, while maintaining decent dynamic range overall.

The Haas plugin is cool, though as I said I am now not sure if I kept it in the mix or just went with a simple duplication and a delay on the track to get the two slightly out of sync.  I got the Haas effect plugin from LBro, a free VST ... so can pass it on if you want to play with it.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 10:01:36 am »
For interest sake I used the same compressor plugin on the guitar in series three times, each one relatively light which was intended to smooth out some the unwanted extra loud or soft notes.

Ah, that is a good use for compression for sure!

I think we ironed out most of these "issues". But still not sure on that "click" or pick sound. As I think I said privately, it might simply be my bionic ears....

All my best in this contest!
LB

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 166
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 01:35:40 pm »
Ah, that is a good use for compression for sure!

I think we ironed out most of these "issues". But still not sure on that "click" or pick sound. As I think I said privately, it might simply be my bionic ears....

All my best in this contest!
LB
Thanks LBro

I suspect that the sound you heard was a pluck or two that were not clean from my side ...

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 08:13:12 pm »
Thanks Dave.

Can't imagine I am light-years ahead, based on the songs you share ... certainly have lift off, have achieved orbit round earth and set forth for the moon :)  But appreciate the compliment.

I think the quality of the sound is mostly a reflection of the quality of the guitar.  I had it setup after coincidentally meeting a luthier at the fingerstyle workshop I posted about.  Apart from it improving the play-ability of the guitar, which I was pretty happy with out-the-box, he was really complimentary of the tone.  IN fact, expressing surprise at how good it sounds ... kind of a double-edged compliment that was  :) He spoke of being surprised to find the bridge and the pins were both ebony.  He prefers that tone to the sound you get if the bridge is rosewood.  All beyond me, I just know that I am growing into this guitar, with plenty still to go ... it is a far higher quality instrument than I am player.   

What I mean by three in series is that I have added the same compressor plugin as an Fx on the clean guitar Reaper track.  As I recall the first plugin is an EQ, then I added the compressor three times, one after the other, so I compress the compressed track and then compress it again.  Each time it is done with low gain reduction and small make-up gain and a threshold set to catch just the highest level transients.  The idea I had is this would lift everything a little and just reduce those extra loud highest notes, the ones that sounded too loud, while maintaining decent dynamic range overall.

The Haas plugin is cool, though as I said I am now not sure if I kept it in the mix or just went with a simple duplication and a delay on the track to get the two slightly out of sync.  I got the Haas effect plugin from LBro, a free VST ... so can pass it on if you want to play with it.

David, Yes, I think light-years.  Setup on guitar can make a huge difference.  Your guitar is sounding really good to my ears, but that's not all due to setup.    How it's played makes a difference, too.
 I haven't even delved into Reapers FX much.  About all I use is reverb and delay out of the pedal and CLA on the vocal.  I didn't even know you could compress compressed compressed tracks.  I'll have to play around with that a bit.  Thanks for the tip.

If Haas is free, I can just download it.  Thanks again.

Offline kontenda

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 03:11:13 pm »
Really nice work on the guitar David - really nice sound from the picking - and steady and consistent. Heartfelt vocal performance as well. Enjoyed it.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 166
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 03:27:01 pm »
Thanks, Kontenda, appreciate you listening and such encouraging feedback.

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 08:40:42 pm »
David,
Apologies for the late feedback - travelling and World Cup have been taking all my attention lately!
I've not much to add to what others have said here. Nice rendition and really nicely picked guitar part.
Well done!
Neil

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 166
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 07:41:06 am »
David,
Apologies for the late feedback - travelling and World Cup have been taking all my attention lately!
I've not much to add to what others have said here. Nice rendition and really nicely picked guitar part.
Well done!
Neil
No worries, Neil ... appreciate the listen and feedback.

World Cup has been really good so far.  In my mind it has dished up more good football than I recall was the case in previous tournaments.

I enjoyed your comment about producers/performers in another reply  ... and I'll consider myself in a third group that is doing both, with lots to learn and improve in both.  This song was a blend of performance and production to deliver the final result :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App