Author Topic: B and E string sound dead  (Read 355 times)

Offline angryIsAnEnergy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
B and E string sound dead
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:11:32 pm »
I snapped the B string recently on my frankencaster.  So I changed all the strings - D'Addario XL110 Nickel 10-46.

Now, the B and E strings sound dead plucked open - almost like there is a little palm mute but there's not obviously, compared with the other strings which all ring out nicely.  When I fret the B and E string they sound better (clearer than when open).

I thought I might have a dud set of strings (it's possible).  So, I changed the B and E again from another set - and it sounds just the same.

I have a roller type tree on the neck.  I have had the string over and under the roller, no difference.  The nut was cleaned,  the vintage bridge adjusted.

What is making these 2 strings sound as dead as they do, in comparison to the other 4 strings which sound great?

Any suggestions/advice please?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: B and E string sound dead
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 04:25:37 pm »
I think the most likely cause is the break angle on the nut, it should be lower nearest the tuners, if there is too much contact along the nut slot then dull/muted sound is what you get.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline angryIsAnEnergy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:10:19 pm »
Break angle - ok, thanks.

Does that mean I need to file the string slots in the nut to correct it?  I have nut files but never have done this sort of maintenance before.  What's the worst that can happen, hey? :)  I have another nut here - much better quality than the one on the guitar at the moment too.

Presumably the E and B strings are thicker than the ones replaced - they are 10 and 13.  I don't remember what gauge the original strings were but they wouldn't have been much different.

Should the strings go over or under the roller tree?  If they went under there would be more angle to the nut, I think.  Which is what I think you are suggesting is the root cause, yes?

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 05:23:24 pm »

Should the strings go over or under the roller tree?  If they went under there would be more angle to the nut, I think.  Which is what I think you are suggesting is the root cause, yes?

Seriously? You didn't take note of how the old strings ran before you took them off?

Strings go under the string tree.

Presumably the E and B strings are thicker than the ones replaced - they are 10 and 13.  I don't remember what gauge the original strings were but they wouldn't have been much different.

Uh yeah, OK.

Does that mean I need to file the string slots in the nut to correct it?  I have nut files but never have done this sort of maintenance before.  What's the worst that can happen, hey? :)  I have another nut here - much better quality than the one on the guitar at the moment too.

I wouldn't be getting the nut files out just yet...
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 378
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 08:23:47 pm »
Examine all contact points.
Including the saddles. A thin string can miss the tiny groove that gets worn in to a saddle or slip off the edge without you noticing.
Keep the files in the toolbox for now.

Offline angryIsAnEnergy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 06:49:51 pm »
The problem was caused by the truss rod being adjusted!!  By my son!!  In preparation for him adjusting the truss rod on his own (much more expensive and cherished) guitar!!  He didn't ask if he could.  He thought that the guitar was a throw-away - which it is just about, but I still enjoy the growl and nastiness that this guitar can produce.

I've tried to adjust the truss rod but it does not function - I'm assuming the thread is stripped by over-tightening probably.  The neck wasn't a very good quality to begin with either.  No great loss, except for 2 new pack of strings.

So, the neck at least, is a throw-away now, for sure.  Probably will salvage the pickups and the electronics and the wood will be recycled.  At least the boy didn't break his own guitar and has taken it to a tech to do properly.

Thanks for listening.

Offline Matek

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 06:58:05 pm »
Maybe take it to a guitar tech/luthier before you trash it.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 378
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 08:28:44 pm »
Truss rod golden rul for beginners number one.

Loosen all strings and DO NOT turn more than 1/4 to 1/2 rotations without leaving everything to settle for a few hours / overnight with strings tuned back up.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App