Author Topic: Music Breakdown Lesson  (Read 283 times)

Offline Sc0rn3d

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Music Breakdown Lesson
« on: May 31, 2018, 04:21:01 am »
I feel silly sort of for asking this but I noticed the lessons used terms like verse and chorus. I have no clue why I can't understand the terms and I know I can Google some of the information but there is so much, it's difficult to figure out how a song is broken down and figured since you used those terms that maybe it would be nice to have an introduction.

I'm not really suggesting a song writing class, just a quick break down of the construction of a song. Also it's really possible I missed a link for something like this so if anyone has it please provide it. 

I love your teaching style and everything you are doing for the world (universe, assuming they are connected to our internet :) ) and I have no right to ask you of this but I would definitely appreciate it. I already have so much to learn and have learned so much but it would be nice to understand a rough version of how a song is broken up.

Thanks again.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
Re: Music Breakdown Lesson
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:28:52 am »
There is no one type of song structure. Verses  and Choruses are both lyrics. Choruses are generally called that when they are repeated in a song. If they weren't, they just be another verse.

Verse, Chorus, Verse is very popular, but is just one structure. There are plenty of songs that will be 2 or 3 verses long and then a chorus.

Go pull up some lyrics to Bob Dylan songs, especially his long ones, and there are no choruses in many of these.

Offline Sc0rn3d

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 03:46:47 pm »
Awesome. Thanks for the reply and yes, it looks like Bob Dylan even had a few songs with no choruses (assuming I understand it properly). Lyric structure lesson was actually what I was requesting maybe in the beginners area but your explanation helps a lot.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 03:56:48 pm »
While Wiki is not the best teaching tool, these articles are explanatory. They do assume some knowledge of music theory though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verse%E2%80%93chorus_form

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_structure

Lyric structure is a whole other thing.

https://www.taxi.com/music-business-faq/songwriting/lyrics/songwritingthelyricstructure.php
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Sc0rn3d

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 04:09:48 pm »
That taxi link is the exact thing I should've been able to find myself. I seem to learn better with videos but I'm glad you provided that link because now I won't feel bad when Justin says to play A during the verse or something and I sit with a confused look.

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 04:13:38 pm »
This is about as simple of an explanation of the main parts of a typical song as you can get.

Online joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 04:28:46 pm »
That taxi link is the exact thing I should've been able to find myself. I seem to learn better with videos but I'm glad you provided that link because now I won't feel bad when Justin says to play A during the verse or something and I sit with a confused look.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you.

If you're following the videos it should be obvious were the A comes, because he usually plays an A :)

Have you got any of Justin's songbooks? If you're an absolute beginner you really ought to invest in Beginner's Songbook 1

Playing songs as a beginner doesn't really demand that you understand their musical or lyrical structure. Although of course it helps.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Sc0rn3d

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 04:37:44 pm »
You understand me correctly. I definitely need the book and the beginners bundle is definitely on my list to purchase today or tomorrow. I guess I just wanted more information about lyric structure since I heard words I didn't understand. All links are greatly appreciated and I will be watching the video recommendation when I get home (or sneak it in at work).

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 01:52:49 am »
Sorry, that isn't making sense to me.

You don't need to know anything about songwriting, song structure or lyrics, or the meaning of words to play along. Plenty of beginners learn foreign language songs just as easily, because the word themselves don't really matter, so long as you can follow the rhythm played and know when to change chords.

Offline Sc0rn3d

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 04:36:47 pm »
I think it was just one video or something where Justin says to "play that during the chorus" or something and I didn't know what that meant. I guess in summary I'm a knowledge chaser and the links provided explained everything I wanted to know. I think I wasn't wording my search correctly and using lyric structure instead of song structure made a huge difference.

Again, thanks everyone.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:12:54 pm by Sc0rn3d »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App