Author Topic: Finger independence  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Outcycling

• Good Vibes 0
Finger independence
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:24:51 am »
Hi all,

I’ve been playing for a while now and can play some quite challenging pieces but I nearly always make mistakes. In an attempt to iron out those coming from my picking hand I thought I’d try to anchor my little finger on the body of the guitar. I know there are mixed views on this but it works for a lot of the greats so can’t be all bad!
Anyway, I am finding it really hard to play notes with my ring finger in thi technique as my little finger wants to go with it but it is anchored.
Are there any known practice routines to help with finger independence for the picking hand ? Obviously I can just practice songs where this is most prominent or make up my own routine but thought a proven routine that targets in would save time.
Many thank.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: Finger independence
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 11:45:36 am »
Take a look at this, it’s short and sweet but really good, as you might expect from him!

My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 186
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 02:13:38 pm »
Take a look at this, it’s short and sweet but really good, as you might expect from him!
Thanks Darrell, really good indeed.  Slightly different approach to how I have started in Justin's BC, focusing on hitting a bass note with the thumb on beat 1 (or 1 & 3 if a chord change mid-bar).  I'll throw this into the practice mix as well.

Offline Outcycling

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 10:02:34 am »
Thanks for the input Darrell. Funnily enough that was the video I saw the other week that prompted me to start trying to anchor down. TE is awesome, seen him live several times :). It was more independent movement of the fingers (last part of that vid) I struggle with particularly with ring finger as it wants to take pinky with it. Looking a lot online about this it is very common as I believe those fingers share tendon/nerve or something. I was wondering if there was any common exercises for working on it but I guess it is just a case of playing pieces of music that work the independence. Perseverance and practice as always! Happy playing.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App