Author Topic: Archtop f hole  (Read 490 times)

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Archtop f hole
« on: May 22, 2018, 12:21:34 pm »
While caught in the throes of GAS I’m toying with the idea of an Epiphone f hole Archtop.
Anyone have any experience of these?

KR

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline OpsRes

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Archtop f hole
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 05:22:08 pm »
Hi Willsie,
Last summer I rented an Epiphone Century De Luxe Classic for 2 months and I absolutely loved the way it looked as well as the way it played. It felt a bit different from my Martin but I got used to it very quickly. It wasn't as loud as the Martin but to my ears it had a warmed sound.
Unfortunately I did not have an amp and so I couldn't tell how it sounded when plugged in but the reviews that I've read suggest that it is even better plugged in.
Cheers

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:41:22 pm »
Went to Stratford Monday and had a go with one of these
https://rguitars.co.uk/products/godin-5th-avenue-cognac-burst-sg-with-tric
If they had have had one in stock other than the demo model I would have gone home with one!!!
I’ve tried Epiphones, Gretsch and Ibanez they are nice but that Godin was just amazing!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:03:06 pm »
Maybe you can knock off some of the price getting the demo one. I'm always for getting the guitar you played in the store because that's the one you connected with.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:21:09 pm »
Maybe you can knock off some of the price getting the demo one. I'm always for getting the guitar you played in the store because that's the one you connected with.
Unfortunately it wasn’t for sale, otherwise I would have had it!

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 11:27:14 pm »
Unfortunately it wasn’t for sale, otherwise I would have had it!
What in the world? A demo model that's not for sale? Were you at IKEA? ::)
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 05:25:21 am »
What in the world? A demo model that's not for sale? Were you at IKEA? ::)
No 🤣🤣🤣 he was hanging on to it just in case new ones were going to be quite a while to get hold of - I’m probably going to take another look and if I still feel the same get one on order, that way if new ones don’t turn up he would sell me the demo at a reduced price!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 86
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 10:28:01 am »
It makes sense to me.

Discounting a demo model of a guitar you don't intend to stock anymore is sensible, but it's not really if you have to replace it with a new one.

I know some shops would consider not taking the opportunity to make an immediate sale as a lost opportunity. But that doesn't always make good business sense.

Also, IME Richard is not that sort of salesman. He will do deals (he did a great one for me a couple of years ago) but his first concern seems to be that you get a guitar that you love.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:02:50 pm by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 10:38:56 am »
It makes sense to me.

Discounting a demo model of a guitar you don't intend to stock anymore is sensible, but it doesn't really if you have to replace it with a new one.

I know some shops would consider not taking the opportunity to make an immediate sale as a lost opportunity. But that doesn't always make good business sense.

Also, IME Richard is not that sort of salesman. He will do deals (he did a great one for me a couple of years ago) but his first concern seems to be that you get a guitar that you love.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

That's the way I dealt with demo equipment when I had my TV and HiFi shops very many years ago.

Also Richard does seem to be very genuine and although he's about 280 miles away from me I am very much minded that my next guitar will come from him (the present I've promised myself if ever I finish the BC).
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 01:48:49 pm »
Also Richard does seem to be very genuine and although he's about 280 miles away from me I am very much minded that my next guitar will come from him (the present I've promised myself if ever I finish the BC).
Absolutely, he’s one of the most genuinely concerned people in the business that you get an instrument that you will never want to let go of, I actually spent about 30 mins in his shop trying different instruments out before I found that Godin, it was his suggestion because I think he had figured out what might float my boat - he was spot on and he did warn me that they might not be available anymore but said if I ordered one I would get first refusal on the demo.
All in all a great guy and he runs a great business, ok not the best prices but his guitars are properly set up and his customer service is impeccable!

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 03:26:29 pm »
I have a very juvenile sense of humour, and I smirked when I read the thread title.

That's all. I have nothing useful to add :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 03:54:14 pm »
I have a very juvenile sense of humour, and I smirked when I read the thread title.

That's all. I have nothing useful to add :)
🤣🤣🤣
Trust you!!!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App