Author Topic: 003 2018 - Between something and nothing  (Read 117 times)

Offline Fourtwo

003 2018 - Between something and nothing
« on: May 18, 2018, 02:18:53 pm »
OK I'll kick off the latest comp with a song I finally finished mixing last night. At the risk of coming across like a one man Ocean Blue cover band, I've redone yet another Ocean Blue song - this one a very early one and the first song they released as a single in 1989. All the usual Ocean Blue elements are there - signature guitar part, lots of hooks etc. What particularly inspired me to cover this song was the guitar solo, which is everything I want from a solo and makes me want to clap when it finishes. Anyone that can build an interesting solo starting with one note across the first four bars has my respect! I struggled to get the sound of the solo right and it's not perfect (and suffers from my playing limitations!), but it's as close as I've been able to get. The piano part was also a challenge as I'm not a keyboard player at all, but I'm quite please with the sound. Anyway, enough of my rambling, I look forward to hearing all of your entries (I love this comp) and hope you enjoy this:

https://soundcloud.com/fourtwo42/between-something-and-nothing-17052018-1010-pm

Neil 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
Re: 003 2018 - Between something and nothing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 03:03:42 pm »
Quick off the mark, Neil :)

Needless to say I don't know the original and that wasn't a band I was listening to back in 1989.  After listening to the original music video via trusty YT, I can say you've done (another) excellent job in reproducing the original.

I especially liked your guitar tones.

I think perhaps the vocal and drums could be lifted up brought a bit more forward in your mix. I was hearing them with a little more clarity in the original, more so the drums than the vocal.

I confess as a song ... which has nothing to do with your rendition ... I found it a little long, maybe I should say too much of it.  The instrumental was pleasant but became a little too repetitive without really grabbing me.  That of course is purely my taste. 

The solo was inspiring to me ... shows what can be done while keeping things reasonably simple (not that I could play it, mind you) but again, maybe a little long.  Again, my taste.  And I hesitated to share this since it really is not relevant to giving you feedback and comment on the entry.

Congrats on another exceptional production !!

Offline Fourtwo

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:30:56 pm »
Thanks David, appreciate your listening and commenting. I realize my taste is not to everyone's liking, but the important thing for all of us who contribute is to be inspired by what we hear so that we want to emulate it and Ocean Blues songs tend to lend themselves to getting my mind working on transcribing while I listen. This whole competition process has brought on my music appreciation, listening and playing in leaps and bounds. I look forward to your entry and hearing further steps forward in your development.
Neil

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:00:51 pm »
Thanks David, appreciate your listening and commenting. I realize my taste is not to everyone's liking, but the important thing for all of us who contribute is to be inspired by what we hear so that we want to emulate it and Ocean Blues songs tend to lend themselves to getting my mind working on transcribing while I listen. This whole competition process has brought on my music appreciation, listening and playing in leaps and bounds. I look forward to your entry and hearing further steps forward in your development.
Neil
Or maybe it is my bad taste, Neil  ;)  I left the comment in as I thought maybe it might prompt some further comments on song structures, styles etc. 

Your ability to transcribe and produce this really authentic sounding renditions is excellent.  Certainly inspirational to me.  One day I'll get to thinking about transcribing and trying to produce something closer to an original, rather than the simplified covers I do.

For this month I'm mulling over a couple of ideas.  Maybe I'll work on both and toss a coin as to which goes up in the contest and which in AVOYP :)

Online redrhodie

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 08:55:38 pm »
Love that riff. It's awesome. Pretty singing. I'm writing as I listen. Really pretty. Nice solo that gets better and better as it goes. I think it should be a little louder, but that's just my personal taste.

Really great, Neil. Very impressive.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App