Author Topic: 003 2018 - Between something and nothing  (Read 867 times)

Offline Fourtwo

003 2018 - Between something and nothing
« on: May 18, 2018, 02:18:53 pm »
OK I'll kick off the latest comp with a song I finally finished mixing last night. At the risk of coming across like a one man Ocean Blue cover band, I've redone yet another Ocean Blue song - this one a very early one and the first song they released as a single in 1989. All the usual Ocean Blue elements are there - signature guitar part, lots of hooks etc. What particularly inspired me to cover this song was the guitar solo, which is everything I want from a solo and makes me want to clap when it finishes. Anyone that can build an interesting solo starting with one note across the first four bars has my respect! I struggled to get the sound of the solo right and it's not perfect (and suffers from my playing limitations!), but it's as close as I've been able to get. The piano part was also a challenge as I'm not a keyboard player at all, but I'm quite please with the sound. Anyway, enough of my rambling, I look forward to hearing all of your entries (I love this comp) and hope you enjoy this:

https://soundcloud.com/fourtwo42/between-something-and-nothing-17052018-1010-pm

Neil 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 003 2018 - Between something and nothing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 03:03:42 pm »
Quick off the mark, Neil :)

Needless to say I don't know the original and that wasn't a band I was listening to back in 1989.  After listening to the original music video via trusty YT, I can say you've done (another) excellent job in reproducing the original.

I especially liked your guitar tones.

I think perhaps the vocal and drums could be lifted up brought a bit more forward in your mix. I was hearing them with a little more clarity in the original, more so the drums than the vocal.

I confess as a song ... which has nothing to do with your rendition ... I found it a little long, maybe I should say too much of it.  The instrumental was pleasant but became a little too repetitive without really grabbing me.  That of course is purely my taste. 

The solo was inspiring to me ... shows what can be done while keeping things reasonably simple (not that I could play it, mind you) but again, maybe a little long.  Again, my taste.  And I hesitated to share this since it really is not relevant to giving you feedback and comment on the entry.

Congrats on another exceptional production !!

Offline Fourtwo

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:30:56 pm »
Thanks David, appreciate your listening and commenting. I realize my taste is not to everyone's liking, but the important thing for all of us who contribute is to be inspired by what we hear so that we want to emulate it and Ocean Blues songs tend to lend themselves to getting my mind working on transcribing while I listen. This whole competition process has brought on my music appreciation, listening and playing in leaps and bounds. I look forward to your entry and hearing further steps forward in your development.
Neil

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:00:51 pm »
Thanks David, appreciate your listening and commenting. I realize my taste is not to everyone's liking, but the important thing for all of us who contribute is to be inspired by what we hear so that we want to emulate it and Ocean Blues songs tend to lend themselves to getting my mind working on transcribing while I listen. This whole competition process has brought on my music appreciation, listening and playing in leaps and bounds. I look forward to your entry and hearing further steps forward in your development.
Neil
Or maybe it is my bad taste, Neil  ;)  I left the comment in as I thought maybe it might prompt some further comments on song structures, styles etc. 

Your ability to transcribe and produce this really authentic sounding renditions is excellent.  Certainly inspirational to me.  One day I'll get to thinking about transcribing and trying to produce something closer to an original, rather than the simplified covers I do.

For this month I'm mulling over a couple of ideas.  Maybe I'll work on both and toss a coin as to which goes up in the contest and which in AVOYP :)

Offline redrhodie

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 08:55:38 pm »
Love that riff. It's awesome. Pretty singing. I'm writing as I listen. Really pretty. Nice solo that gets better and better as it goes. I think it should be a little louder, but that's just my personal taste.

Really great, Neil. Very impressive.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline embishop

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 01:59:11 pm »
Another great cover, you do an excellent job of transcribing these songs Neil, I'm impressed again. The guitar is very catchy in this song, and it actually sounds like something I might be able to work out for myself too. I did go and put the album on my iTunes wish list ...

As I've been listening to music lately I've noticed that different productions have varying levels for different instruments, and that vocals in particular are sometimes up high and sometimes down lower. A lot of it is therefore personal taste, and I quite like the overall mix you have with this one. I also think your voice is perfect for this kind of music, maybe even better than the original.

Very enjoyable, thanks for kicking off the competition.

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline max_mue

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 10:31:05 am »
Great job Neil!

I wasn't familiar with the song or artist, but I instantly enjoyed your recording! I like your version even more than the original, maybe because I am getting reminded of the Beach Boys / surf music by your excellent guitar tone  :)

Offline Fourtwo

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 01:35:48 am »
Red,
Thanks, appreciate the comments. I did lots of recordings of the solo to try to get it right and the ones that were louder got turned down as I didn't want to overpower everything else. Also turning up the volume on the solo highlights the mistakes more!!

Mari,
Many thanks for your comments. You're right about volume of tracks and part of the art of multi-track recording is to get the balance right. Although what's "right" for one listener is not necessarily "right" for another so personal taste does play a part. Whenever I've finished my recordings there's always something I'm not completely happy about but it's usually time to move on to something else.

Max,
Appreciate your comments, I work hard on getting the guitar tones right, so good to hear that you liked it.

Neil

Offline phx1973

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 06:44:06 pm »
I definitely agree with the others, Neil. Excellent tone and playing. I, too, was unfamiliar with the song/band, but think you did an excellent job.
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline pkboo3

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 11:41:11 pm »
Neil, it sounded very enjoyable to me. I didn’t go and listen to the original, so not comparing. I just listened and enjoyed it very much. It sounded like a professional track to me. Of course I have much to learn in the recording phase so can’t comment on that.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 07:14:22 am »
Nice one Neil. I listen to a lot of indiepop but this band I have never heard. Listened to the original and wow your cover is really good. Guitar sounds nice and I liked the solo. Singing works really well to. Well done!
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline kontenda

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 04:30:39 am »
Really liked this FourTwo. The drums are great - really fast paced rhythm. Well sung - and that lovely jangle guitar playing.

Offline Garfield

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 07:17:24 pm »
Very good Neil. You're like my hero. How will it take me to be able to do this I wonder.

After your build up I was listening out for the solo and yeah I liked it but i felt like it needed to stand out from the rest of the track a bit more. Do you take requests? As I was listening I was thinking I'd really like to hear you play some pixies. Velouria would really suit you. Maybe we could start a "challenge neil" thread.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 06:32:26 am »
Nice job - really enjoyed this one! Refreshing and alive. Not a bad combo to have going for you!
Good clear mix and well done there.

Keep up the good rocking work!
LB

Offline Fourtwo

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 10:33:43 pm »
Apologies to all for the delayed response - been a bit busy workwise. Appreciate all the comments:
Nice job - really enjoyed this one! Refreshing and alive. Not a bad combo to have going for you!
Good clear mix and well done there.

Keep up the good rocking work!
LB

Thanks LBro, thanks for tuning in!

Very good Neil. You're like my hero. How will it take me to be able to do this I wonder.

After your build up I was listening out for the solo and yeah I liked it but i felt like it needed to stand out from the rest of the track a bit more. Do you take requests? As I was listening I was thinking I'd really like to hear you play some pixies. Velouria would really suit you. Maybe we could start a "challenge neil" thread.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Thanks for the positivity Gareth, though I think you'll surprise yourself with how fast you improve - you're much better than I was at your stage of learning. As for your challenge, I'm happy to give songs a try but they have to be songs I can "slice" into individual tracks in my mind. Velouria - which was a new song to me  - is much too complicated and inconsistent in instrumentation for me to attempt. My limitations I'm afraid rule that one out. An tracks a bit more "poppy" that you think my suit my efforts?

Really liked this FourTwo. The drums are great - really fast paced rhythm. Well sung - and that lovely jangle guitar playing.

Kontenda, always a pleasure to hear your comments and I'm always relieved when it gets the ok from you! Thanks v. much.

Nice one Neil. I listen to a lot of indiepop but this band I have never heard. Listened to the original and wow your cover is really good. Guitar sounds nice and I liked the solo. Singing works really well to. Well done!

Many thanks Loefgren, I look forward to listening to your entry!

Neil, it sounded very enjoyable to me. I didn’t go and listen to the original, so not comparing. I just listened and enjoyed it very much. It sounded like a professional track to me. Of course I have much to learn in the recording phase so can’t comment on that.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Pam, appreciate your listening and taking the time to comment!

I definitely agree with the others, Neil. Excellent tone and playing. I, too, was unfamiliar with the song/band, but think you did an excellent job.

Phx1973, thanks for the positive comments!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App