Author Topic: Some advice on Seagull Maritime SWS SG QIT or Taylor GS Mini Mahogany  (Read 185 times)

Offline pcgirl1965

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
OK, I have been learning guitar from this site for the past year.  I was playing on a crappy Epiphone acoustic but I think I would like to splurge and get a nicer guitar.  I have always had trouble with the epiphone being too big for me and uncomfortable to play so I want to get something smaller.  I am 53 and not planning on playing in a band so I don't need anything too special.  I went to the local music store and tried a lot of guitars.  The one that I had kind of decided on was the Seagull Maritime SWS SG QIT.  It seems to fit me much better and had a nice tone to it.  However, as I was walking out of the room I noticed another guitar and decided to try it as well.  I loved the sound and it felt really comfortable as well.  It was the Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.  So now I am trying to decide which one would be the better guitar to purchase.  The Seagull is $899 and the Taylor is $699(without the bag).  So with the bag, would probabley be the same price.  Any input?  Keep in mind, I am still learning and would like a guitar that I will like playing as I get better.  That is hoping I get better! :P

I moved this to the Acoustic Guitar section
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:09:57 pm by pcgirl1965 »

Offline pcgirl1965

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Some advice on Seagull Maritime SWS SG QIT or Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:09:20 pm »
Sorry, I moved this from General Discussions to this section:

OK, I have been learning guitar from this site for the past year.  I was playing on a crappy Epiphone acoustic but I think I would like to splurge and get a nicer guitar.  I have always had trouble with the epiphone being too big for me and uncomfortable to play so I want to get something smaller.  I am 53 and not planning on playing in a band so I don't need anything too special.  I went to the local music store and tried a lot of guitars.  The one that I had kind of decided on was the Seagull Maritime SWS SG QIT.  It seems to fit me much better and had a nice tone to it.  However, as I was walking out of the room I noticed another guitar and decided to try it as well.  I loved the sound and it felt really comfortable as well.  It was the Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.  So now I am trying to decide which one would be the better guitar to purchase.  The Seagull is $899 and the Taylor is $699(without the bag).  So with the bag, would probabley be the same price.  Any input?  Keep in mind, I am still learning and would like a guitar that I will like playing as I get better.  That is hoping I get better! :P

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 143
The gs mini was designed as a travel guitar. It has a 23.5" neck with is 2" shorter then most guitars.
Some people find the fret board to be a bit cramped.
It is also made from laminated wood not solid wood. If you're thinking of a Taylor check out their full
size GS series guitars

The Seagull Maritime SWS SG QIT is a solid wood guitar and a very good guitar for the money.
All Seagull guitars are great value for the money. I've never played a bad one. I don't think you ever
regret buying one they are keepers.

These are just my opinions and others may disagree.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • What next???
You can’t go wrong with either of those two, they are both really nice guitars, to make your mind up I would revisit them and spend a bit more time with them both and make your decision on what your senses tell you - you need to make an attachment with your new guitar that makes you want to play it and be happy with it!
Having fun learning Guitar and Ukulele, what more could you want?

Offline pcgirl1965

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
If you're thinking of a Taylor check out their full
size GS series guitars

Are these smaller guitars?  I am looking for a smaller guitar as I find the regular size is too big for me.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 143
They are smaller than a dred and a different shape. The same shape as the GS mini but bigger.
The GS mini is a travel guitar designed to fit in an over head bin on a plane.
Google guitar size chart. There are many different size and shaped guitars.

Offline pcgirl1965

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
What about the Simon & Patrick Natural Elements Folk guitar?  Tried this out in a store yesterday and it sounded quite nice.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App