Author Topic: CT  (Read 14161 times)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
CT
« on: May 12, 2018, 02:07:49 am »
Here's a snapshot of what I'm learning and experimenting with lately.

The Trio Band Creator pedal is pretty incredible, I was able to lay down this drum section within minutes of taking it out of the box. It was easier to just turn off the bass line and use one drum beat through out than it was to setup two or three sections of the song. It matches all of the sections for the most part. :)

Still working on guitar layers and getting the hang of Garageband. I found using the guitar as a microphone bypassed the amps in Garageband, which got me a bit closer to the sounds coming from my amp. Still a fair amount of sound quality drop-off going from amp -> Garageband -> mp3 to mp4 converter -> youtube player.  Be that as it may, here's something:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 02:37:12 pm by CT »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
Re: CT
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 04:56:57 am »
May as well press my luck. First time trying acoustic guitar recording. Worked on three guitar layers to go along with the Trio drum and bass line. Simple minor chord progression:

This Trio pedal is really amazing. I didn't dumb down the rhythm to get this drum and bass line -- and built it from a progression from my ditto looper. 

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 09:22:16 am »
CT,

Thanks so much for starting up this RC to share what you are doing; I really appreciate your effort to do this.  I'd followed the thread about the Trio pedal silently but with interest ... gotta take some GAS meds as I think it could be a lot of fun. 

Given NY is on top of my "I wish I was just like ..." list of people who inspire and shape my musical journey, I enjoyed your rendition of KORITFW ... great anthem, off a great album.

But I was especially inspired by your "simple" minor chord progression.  A lovely listen, missing only one thing ... some lyrics.  I can hear a some vocals in the style of a Knopfler or my local favourite Piet Botha, that slightly rough, almost talking style of singing.  If song writing isn't your thing, maybe we can persuade Lynn to write some lyrics and either sing or perhaps Matek or Oldhead ... I think it would a splendid collaboration  :)

Aside from that, I am now really curious as to how you did this.  So if you'd be willing, I'd appreciate a simple breakdown of the process, the different pedals, devices, sequence of steps.

Thanks again for sharing what you are doing ... fabulous.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 02:31:21 pm »
@DavidP, thanks for the kind words!

"A Minor Thing" is just that, a "thing" in A minor. :)
It's two bars of A minor and two bars of E minor, in a loop for about 100 bars. The rhythm is a groove with some palm mute, hammer ons, and I throw a pinky down on the first string third fret on the last two beats or so of the A minor (not sure the chord name), and the pinky goes out on the last two beats or so of E minor to form an E minor 7. It blew me away that the Trio picked up on this rhythm and nailed it in one try! I used a compressor to boost and round out my playing on all the guitar parts. For the main rhythm section I added a little slapback delay for a reverb type of vibe.

The next guitar layer consists of minor triad down strums on (I think) the first and third beats, for each chord section. The lead lines are just vamping notes up and down the neck in a way that I could not reproduce note for note if my life depended on it. Easy, simple, and fun as all heck to play. It makes me happy that someone likes it, that it inspires someone blows me away.

I'm all about writing music, recording, lyrics, collaboration, the whole ball of wax. I'm just not much of a singer. If anyone wants to do online collaboration, just let me know.

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 03:34:27 pm »
@DavidP, thanks for the kind words!

I throw a pinky down on the first string third fret on the last two beats or so of the A minor (not sure the chord name),

I think that's Am6 and it sounds pretty cool - I found it by accident!
Guitars - Gretsch 5120, Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2
Amplifiers - Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco, Marshall G30R CD,

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 04:30:05 pm »
I think that's Am6 and it sounds pretty cool - I found it by accident!
It’s Am7 (second inversion), Am6 would be 2nd fret 👍

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 05:20:45 pm »
When these chord progressions get monotonous you have to throw down a pinky, hammer on, pull off, stop, mute, or do something!

I have a family friend (Danny) that has an incredible voice, he can hit three octaves I'm sure. When we get together we play a version of "Dreams" that's Fmaj7 to Gmaj -- the whole time. His voice pulls it off nicely, he doesn't need the various changes like Justin's lesson. So when I play second guitar I have to go off on triads, leads, scales, runs, anything. Maybe that's just me. :)

Danny is a great song writer as well. Here's one of his original songs that he played at my house a while back. I recorded it with an mp3 lecture type of recorder -- and did a little second guitar, mostly some arpeggios way in the background. It was my first listening of that song. It totally blew me away. Listen for another friend in the background who also has an opera singer voice if you can hear it. Nice little jam, check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/user-35496968/eucalyptus-woman

EDIT: Soundcloud embed does not work.

Offline Matek

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 05:31:24 pm »
It was easier to just turn off the bass line and use one drum beat through out than it was to setup two or three sections of the song.

Sounds so cool.
If I had already programmed a drum beat in my DAW would the Trio Band be able to just generate a bass line for a 12 bar blues progression that I played?
And another thought, could it just send the bass line to a track in Reaper?

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 05:37:18 pm »
The Trio plays what it hears from the guitar signal through the pedal chain. So just run your chord progression through the Trio and then turn down the drum volume on the pedal during playback mode. Then record the bass from the Trio as another track in your DAW.

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 05:37:36 pm »
It’s Am7 (second inversion), Am6 would be 2nd fret 👍

Ooops!

You are right of course. That'll teach me to check my facts before I write.
Guitars - Gretsch 5120, Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2
Amplifiers - Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco, Marshall G30R CD,

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 07:01:54 pm »
First recording session using my new audio interface: Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD.
Seems like a great value so far. I liked the idea of having MIDI support for future expansion. 24bit support seemed like a good idea, which kept me from going super cheap.

I was previously going direct from the Mustang I amp to Garageband, which worked well enough. I hope to do a few recording sessions with a mic'd amp on electric and acoustic in the coming days. One constant that remains is the Trio Band Creator pedal. It hasn't failed yet to lay down nice drum and bass lines. Really an awesome purchase it has turned out to be.

Here's a minor blues turnaround (Em-Am-Bm). Not super happy with the lead guitar, may go back and re-do. May adjust some volume levels as well. Still lots to learn regarding playing/mixing/recording:
https://soundcloud.com/user-35496968/minor-blues-turnaround

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 08:03:05 pm »
I don’t think there was much wrong with your solo composition but to me the tone was the problem, I think maybe there was too much drive, it’s personal I know but I think that cleaner would be more fitting with your backing.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 08:16:26 pm »
Pretty cool, CT, I enjoyed that little jam.  Above my play-grade to offer much comment.  Volume levels sounded OK to me.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 10:52:56 pm »
Thanks for the feedback!

@DarrellW, no love for the Donner Alpha Force High-Gain distortion pedal? I had the gain very low but “Goosed" it a bit with a compressor leveled up in front of it. I was going for some juxtaposition with the mellow-grove + some growl in the lead tone. Distortion and fuzz are in my wheelhouse, a cranked Vox AC30 is what music sounds like in my head.

@DavidP, thanks for listening and liking! I heard an Anderton’s Cap’n and McChappers demo play something similar and it sort of stuck with me. I will probably leave it as is. I’m going to move on to the next thing rather than try and polish it further. It isn't exactly “Dark Side of the Moon.” :)

The main thing was to bring all the elements of my music room (pedal board, guitars, DAW, etc) together and get the hang of the new audio interface. Hoping to get some vocals and mic’d amp tracks over the long weekend. And yes, there will be some growl from the Gretsch.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 06:15:31 am »
In this context if I wanted a driven sound I would be more inclined to use a tube screamer type tone, smoother with less breakup, as I said it’s personal taste, I’ve not really explored my Donner blues driver much yet but I suspect that it would also sound good!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 03:58:34 pm »
Note to self: When you hit a low spot get out and see some live music. Someone you really like.  If you think about it they are using the same chords, scales or progressions you’re already playing and probably the same or similar strumming or finger picking patterns that you’re used to. The inspiration comes from hearing what good music sounds like in the moment, with all the elements of a song coming together perfectly at once, and knowing that it is accessible right now or with a bit more practice. 

I just saw Ray LaMontagne at the Greek on Sunday night, and I came home completely fired up. I'm on a roll right now. I wasn't in a rut before, it just took me to the next level of inspiration and effort.

Someone actually taped the full concert, so not sure how much longer it will be up if anyone likes Ray:

Tip: Check out "Such A Simple Thing" at about the 40 minute mark. Stunning song.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 09:00:45 pm »
This is a little jam-around that I did with my new tele. Still having a blast with the Trio pedal, which I use more than a looper these days. Currently working on inter-twining triads and pentatonic leads together. Kind of feel like a blind squirrel that gets an acorn every once in a while. :)

Single take play through as usual: tele-jam-around

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 09:35:11 pm »
Sounded pretty good to me, CT, thanks for sharing.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 08:13:33 am »
@DavidP, you are 'da man! I will give you a "Good Vibe" whenever I see your name here, and eventually your good vibes will deservedly surpass your posts.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 09:58:13 am »
@DavidP, you are 'da man! I will give you a "Good Vibe" whenever I see your name here, and eventually your good vibes will deservedly surpass your posts.
Too kind CT ... I am just a dude who loves music, is loving the learning to make music and really enjoys sharing the trip (mine and everybody else's) with all of you here in the Community.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 03:38:19 pm »
More mucking around with the tele, and the Trio. The beautiful simplicity and versatility of the tele is no longer lost on me. This clip is not going to be everyone's (or possibly anyone's) cup o' tea, but it had me stepping out of my comfort zone:
Coming apart at the seams

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 03:46:32 pm »
Pretty cool piece, CT, as was "Closer than I've ever been"

Thanks for sharing

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 04:29:41 pm »
Thanks DP! Guess I hadn't shared Closer than I've ever been yet. Starting to go through my scratchpad songs and releasing them to soundcloud. Hoping that as I move forward they will serve as a roadmap to how far I've progressed.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 04:36:52 pm »
Ace👍👍👍
Something I’ve always said about Telecasters it doesn’t matter what genre you want to play they just do it!!!
Good stuff, give that Tele more work outs in future 😎😎😎

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 04:39:32 pm »
@DarrellW Please no more Tele talking...You're feeding my GAS lol ;D

Clint, nice tracks, enjoyable and well played. :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App