Author Topic: CT  (Read 13858 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: CT
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2019, 08:22:29 pm »
Firstly: Epic! Nice one!

Secondly, when you said "harp", I thought you mean harmonica.

Cheers,

Keith

:)  me too ...

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2019, 09:02:01 pm »
Thanks @DavidP, I'm not ready to launch my own musical vision yet beyond just trying to play better, and the creative bits and pieces that I do now. He has a vision for what he's doing and I'm happy to join in and I'm glad to be supportive. It's really just about collaborating and being in a band (of sorts) versus leading a band (I guess). Things are fluid with plenty of experimentation and exploration, so I'm fully onboard.

Totally epic, @Majik, and thanks for the comment. It was a trip. She hand-trucked that huge harp in and out of the venue, and took a long time tuning it. It was a real show-stopper.   

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2019, 09:04:02 pm »
Thanks @DavidP, I'm not ready to launch my own musical vision yet beyond just trying to play better, and the creative bits and pieces that I do now. He has a vision for what he's doing and I'm happy to join in and I'm glad to be supportive. It's really just about collaborating and being in a band (of sorts) versus leading a band (I guess). Things are fluid with plenty of experimentation and exploration, so I'm fully onboard.

Totally epic, @Majik, and thanks for the comment. It was a trip. She hand-trucked that huge harp in and out of the venue, and took a long time tuning it. It was a real show-stopper.   

Sounds good, Clint. 

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2019, 02:05:36 am »
Clint how impressive are you? I'm so glad you seized this opportunity, flew by the seat of your pants and heard the roar of the appreciative crowd. Clearly you are better than you realise to be invited to join such a visionary artist.

A stage hat? Most curious to see you choice.

Thrilled to bits by your achievement Clint, just thrilled.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:13:33 am by batwoman »
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2019, 03:20:31 am »
Haha! Thanks @batwoman. I was told to forego the hat. I'm of the mind to do so. 

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2019, 08:26:32 am »
Hey Clint, that's great news - congratulations! :)

The venue looks neat! What is the date of your next gig? :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2019, 10:29:03 am »
Huge congrats Clint, a giant step forward, considering the notice you had and the audience focus, I would have been bricking it (quaint English expression for extreme nervousness, as in ------g bricks). Man you must have big ones. Look forward to hearing the next instalment.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2019, 10:50:20 am »
Congratulations, I bet you couldn't sleep afterwards.
I wouldn't have been nervous at all as I would have said no.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2019, 01:38:19 pm »
Congrats Clint. It's one thing getting the opportunity but it's taking it that's the hard bit.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 156
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2019, 03:24:48 pm »
Hey Clint,
I really have not been in the Road Cases much, but stopped by to say Hi and ask a question.

Ok so now you helped out on putting together an original complete song and did well I might add. Then you also pulled of this live gig deal right in the middle of finishing up on the song project. So my question to you you is:

What's next for you on your music career journey?

Keep rocking as only you can,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2019, 03:48:19 pm »
@max_mue, yeah it's a sweet little venue on the Sunset Strip. It's not on the level of the Whiskey A Go Go, but it's on the same strip and part of LA. We're slated to play again on the 27th of this month.

@tobyjenner, I told myself going in that people would be drinking and talking and we would just be background noise. That turned out not to be the case, as people were listening, singing along to covers, clapping along, etc. Once I sat down I just tuned everything else out and focused on the music. 

@jono, I was invited to play with a friend, that helps a lot. We've jammed and played at parties a number of times. He's a great singer and knows his songs well, and trusts me to add some interest and flavor to his music. He likes to wing it a bit and so do I.

@Rossco01, I may have said it here or elsewhere, that sometimes the greatest ability is "Availability", followed by "Flexibility". Saying yes to opportunities and doing your best is a good way to roll.     

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2019, 03:56:01 pm »
@LBro, yeah my path hasn't changed since I got back into playing -- it's to just get better every day and say "Yes" to things. I've got some tracks I want to record soon, originals and covers. Playing on your project gave me a little taste of being a session player and I like that a lot.     

Offline OpsRes

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2019, 10:49:46 pm »
@max_mue, yeah it's a sweet little venue on the Sunset Strip. It's not on the level of the Whiskey A Go Go, but it's on the same strip and part of LA. We're slated to play again on the 27th of this month.

Hey Clint, too bad I didn’t know about this in time, I was just up the I-10 from you (Palm Springs area) and I would have made the effort to come up and listen.

Congrats and keep on Rockin’

Glen

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2019, 11:32:50 pm »
Wow! That sounds totally awesome, Clint. Congratulations! I look forward to seeing the video. I'm intrigued by the harp. That sounds like an amazing first gig.

Lynn

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2019, 03:00:04 am »
@OpsRes, thanks! I didn't know it was going to come together until it came together. I barely got word out to my Daughters. 

@redrhodie, it's really just a first step. I think the cherry high has worn off and I'm back to just working on playing better. Thanks for the support!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2019, 05:52:33 pm »
My second live gig came and went last night. What follows is mostly just a scatchpad to consolidate my thoughts:

I still get a buzz from playing live. Not a shred of nervousness at all as an accompanist. Never thought I had a single slice of ham in me, but there is something about applause and having people want to listen and watch. Or does that make me an exhibitionist of sorts? Maybe I'm over-analyzing what it means to climb inside my own head to focus on playing my musical parts, and then hear applause afterwards? Whatever it is, it's cool and I highly recommend going to open mics or whatever that gets you playing out for others. Never say no to a chance to do it.

What went well:
* I had some parts and riffs worked out. It was fun to jump into sections and (in my own mind) nail them.
* Brought enough spontaneity to bear to keep things interesting. My Nashville strung guitar added a nice shimmer to the set.
* I had a fallback in mind in case something happened and/or if I got totally lost in a song. And that was to completely mute the strings and strum the guitar to add rhythm.
* My wife loves the food at the bar/restaurant, so that is an added bonus. Makes playing out more like a nice night out for her as well.
* Uber to the gig! Really nice to arrive in a good mood and not get worked up over LA traffic beforehand.
* I like what we are doing a heckuva lot better than the act that followed us! Nice guy, has some chops as a player, but dude was a brutal assault to my nerve endings! Put bad Bob Dylan and standard tuned, above 12th fret acoustic djenting in a blender and whirl it around on high speed.   

What needs to improve:
* More rehearsals together. We couldn't make a connection to practice, so I was forced to do "homework" with recorded tracks. Less than optimal. This really covers most things that I can think of for improvement. My partner started playing one of the songs in a different/unexpected key, that's bad spontaneity! That's were playing muted strums came in to play. I'll need to hear a recording to assess if that went well. My daughter said it went well, we'll see.
* From the beginning of the song "Dreams", he NEVER started playing. My parts are flavor and fills to prop up fairly simple two chord strumming. I have to be ready to be guitar one in a pinch. Would muted strums have worked for a section as guitar one? I didn't have the right guitar to be an optimal guitar one. Again I will need to hear a recording to assess how it went. Turns out he was hitting feedback from his guitar/monitor (he has an older Yamaha without a phase button), I still don't know why it was a problem for that one song. Weird! He may need to get a soundhole plug.

There's still a lot for me to parse. It really was a blast. I want more, warts and all.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2019, 05:58:40 pm »
Good for you Clint.

As a Toastmaster who has delivered many speeches to audiences from 20 - (maybe) 400, I can only say I get a gig from performing.  There is an energy exchange, give and take with the audience.  And afterwards I find myself just buzzing.

I played those few songs live for my Toastmasters club in December, only 4 songs but when I heard people singing along as I was playing Don't Stop, I got that same buzz.

Appreciate the detailed breakdown.

Now just want a video :)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2019, 07:12:41 pm »
Thanks @DavidP! Yeah, it was a scratchpad post, kind of like a "note to self". Glad that it was compelling enough to wade through. :)

I'm working on getting some video or audio together. Kind of an after thought at this point.

Online LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2019, 08:45:18 pm »
That's good work you put on your notepad here my man!

Good to see you added "arriving in a good mood" as a big success.
I always use margins in my planning but when I play live; My margins double or even triple; just to make sure I don't need to rush anything. (because live you tend to go faster by default :))

You had a fallback, you prepared some stuff while you know how to keep it spontanuous, you know what yo tackle and how to tackle it...

These read like notes form a veteran pro who's been doing this for decades, seriously.
Keep doing what's you just did there while others take note.

BTW; the questions you're askign yourself; I recognize them SOOO hard :D
especially the exhibitionist thing :p "Is it pretentious to get a kick aout of this and wanting more while I get better, more creative and funnier in the proces?"
Of course not, I think that's a real fun drive to keep you going!
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2019, 10:20:51 pm »
Huge thanks for your input @LievenDV! Nice to know that I'm not off on some weird mind trip and that my basic instincts are not misplaced.

I got some clips back from last night and it's obvious that the house mix was very unkind to us. Danny was getting a lot of feedback and I was noticing dropouts and such on the recordings. 

EDIT: Clip of "Dreams" added because it's the case where I unknowingly became guitar one:

I can't sit in one spot and bang out two a chord progression. So I played a few triad progressions, power chords, and bar chords
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 04:30:11 pm by CT »

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 156
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2019, 10:49:36 pm »
Clint,
Did any of the session type work you did, with pretty tight timing on Mr Jones help you at all in your live play here in the videos? To me I would think so since prior to that you were mainly into jamming over an entire backing track with you lead work. Though I am not hearing much lead from you in these videos...

Rock on and I hope you get more of a chance to practice with the other musicians you hooked up with for the live gigs! That can only help you guys get tighter are you play more together...

LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2019, 01:12:12 am »
Thanks @LBro. Interesting questions. My best answer is that I just try to serve the song. The stuff I do with backing tracks is just another context and opportunity to express myself. BTs make up about 1/4 of what I do musically, but about 90% of what I expose to folks. I do a weekly backing track challenge on another web site and I post them here. Beyond that, I do hope to keep on rocking. :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2019, 06:32:08 am »
A fascinating and informative insight into your mind Clint. Thanks so much for sharing these details, though at my stage of learning I feel like a toddler looking in on the grown ups. Seems that making a good connection with not just the other musicians, but the sound guy on the desk, is imperative.

Vibes to you Clint for seizing this opportunity, sucking it up when it wasn't going to plan and for doing a debrief.  This to me is courage.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline OpsRes

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2019, 02:55:22 pm »
My second live gig came and went last night. What follows is mostly just a scatchpad to consolidate my thoughts:

I still get a buzz from playing live. Not a shred of nervousness at all as an accompanist. Never thought I had a single slice of ham in me, but there is something about applause and having people want to listen and watch. Or does that make me an exhibitionist of sorts? Maybe I'm over-analyzing what it means to climb inside my own head to focus on playing my musical parts, and then hear applause afterwards? Whatever it is, it's cool and I highly recommend going to open mics or whatever that gets you playing out for others. Never say no to a chance to do it.

Hey Clint,
You ask if "that makes you an exhibitionist of sorts" Maybe, but I can tell you being in front of a crowd and getting that positive feedback is a great feeling so enjoy it. Although I have never played in front of anyone but family or friends, and never more than a few people at a time, I have presented to large group before and I can tell you that I also get that same feeling.
So good on you and keep going after that buzz.
Glen

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2019, 03:05:16 pm »
Thanks @batwoman, I appreciate your positivity immensely! You are a better player than you think and the only things stopping you are whatever pre-requisites or barriers you have set for yourself. There's no accounting for people's tastes in a fast food, use once and toss away environment. You have fans here. :)   

Get The Forum As A Mobile App