Author Topic: CT  (Read 13846 times)

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: CT
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2021, 04:37:29 pm »
Great update Clint and a very nice nod towards LBro, who goes out of his way to deliver a highly polished end product. As said if the man from Seattle comes knocking, open the door.  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2021, 04:51:55 pm »
Don't know how much cool cred an RC update earns one, but it sure is goodness to get better acquainted with one's Forum Friends.

I remember Mr Jones and the Apricot Jam ... homemade scones, apricot jam, and cream ... that's pretty cool.

And you are a cool dude, Clint, jamming with freedom or putting heart and soul into your renditions of the songs that move you.

Good Vibes for tipping the hat to LBro. I've been a privileged recipient of his coaching and mentorship from my earliest endeavours to develop mixing and production skills. A good man and fine producer.

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2021, 05:18:05 pm »
Great entry CT, hopefully you cam get back to jamming again once it is allowed to do so, in the meantime we can only hope for some more fine recordings of your music :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2021, 06:08:11 pm »
Thanks for reading and giving LBro some kudos. Hopefully he'll come across this at some point.

Another thing that happened, which added to my learning and growth as a guitar player:
Just before the Bar 20 gigs, I responded to a question on NextDoor (local bulletin board type of website/app here) from someone asking about getting started with guitar. Of course I suggested Justin Guitar. Another person tossed a thumbs up on my post, so I reached out to him and struck up a conversation. Since everyone on the app is local, and he’s a guitar player, why not meetup in a park and see if we can connect musically.

To make a short story longer, we met in a really nice park here locally and chatted for a bit. Right off the bat he was interested in what my goals were. My low key but stock answer is to play better every day and have as much fun as possible. His goal was to be a rock star, yep, touring rock star and recording artist! He’s not that much younger that me, and as a person that does not have rock star looks I could tell right away that he didn't either (LOL). He has a band with a drummer and bass player that are long time friends. Cool! Can I see or hear what your band sounds like? Have you played any gigs? Open mic? No, none of it. Nothing recorded on YouTube, Soundcloud or anything anywhere. I shared links to all my tracks (they are what they are folks).

Eventually we got into playing. He brought along a notebook of songs and his band’s playlist, I brought my guitar in its case, some picks — nothing more (it's got a built in tuner, ya know, no need to go overboard). Sometimes different personality types mesh well, sometimes not so much.

So he would play a classic radio rock song verbatim while looking at his notebook, and I would comp and play fills and basically do that thing that I do (for better or worse). I in turn would break into whatever strum-a-dum-dum song that would pop into my head. IIRC, I jangled out Dylan’s “If Not For You”, FMac’s “Dreams” and a few others. No comping from him, I’m not sure there was any lead play either. I seemed to recall him sitting on his hands or some such. it just really wasn’t happening. I’m not even sure that I actually finished a song. In the case of Dreams it's just F to G, there are F and G chords all over the neck, and any lead chops in the key of C will work. Nothing. It was a gorgeous So Cal day, awesome park setting, nothing was going to harsh my vibe.

Suffice to say that a second meeting never happened. I sent some follow up texts but it was obvious that we weren’t going to be jam buddies. There seemed to be a bit of disbelief that I was releasing music and had done some gigs. Rather than take it as a sign that anyone, even a non-rock-star-wanna-be can get in the game, take some risks, play some music, and just have fun. This is quite a juxtaposition to the level of friendliness and support that we all share here on the forum. 

I do want to make some more connections post-COVID though. It didn't sour me to the possibility of picking up some local jam buddies.     

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 184
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2021, 07:12:45 pm »
Well I guess that's a lesson and reminder to folks to play anything and everything so you can jam with anyone. Don't get stuck in box or become a one trick pony. Diversity is the spice of live. Shame it didn;t work out Clint but you live and learn. And I am sure once the health situation improve you'll hook up with someone and hopefully entertain us all into the bargain.  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 156
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2021, 07:29:21 pm »
Hum,
My ears were burning so I figured I best see what all the noise was about. Thanks to any and all who gave kind words this way.

Clint - you had a much better Next Door experience than I. I responded to a woman that said her husband was a failed rock star. She mumbled something about he should get back into it. I wrote back to find she was just kidding. So much for that...

At any rate, Mr. Jones is still looking for you Clint. He wants to know who was honking at him, saying something like; "it sounded like a harmonica".

All the best and I hope you do well in pursuit of a jam buddy. I would like to find one as well. There don't seem to be many out there though.

Keep rockin,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2021, 03:33:27 pm »
That's an interesting story, Clint.  Lots of food for thought and lessons to take away.

I really admire your ability to play lead, triads, complement (I assume that is what you mean by comp) another's playing, on the fly. I'd be left battling away to keep up with the open chords and maybe some E and A shape barre chords.

And I'm not putting myself down, sure if I focus my learning and work at that I can make progress and get there eventually.  I am sure I also don't know the notes on the neck as well as I need to for such jam sessions. Oh an ear training and transcription would build useful skills.

I guess for the other fellow, he may have been brought back to earth with a bump. Nothing wrong with having big goals, but sounds like he still had a lot to learn to reach the levels of musicianship that people at that performing and touring level have reached. Quite different to being able to play a few songs with your mates, though that is a good step. And as you said, it is just a first step and being able to play from memory, make some recordings, and ultimately improvise and jam would have to come well before one can land a gig in a local venue.

Thanks for sharing that story.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2021, 09:03:14 pm »
Hum,
My ears were burning so I figured I best see what all the noise was about. Thanks to any and all who gave kind words this way.

Clint - you had a much better Next Door experience than I. I responded to a woman that said her husband was a failed rock star. She mumbled something about he should get back into it. I wrote back to find she was just kidding. So much for that...

At any rate, Mr. Jones is still looking for you Clint. He wants to know who was honking at him, saying something like; "it sounded like a harmonica".

All the best and I hope you do well in pursuit of a jam buddy. I would like to find one as well. There don't seem to be many out there though.

Keep rockin,
LB
Huge props to you, sir! Bet you have some cool stuff in the hopper.

Yeah, I'm pretty short on time these days for a collaboration. I had to say no to one a while back, when I was part of the way into it. I'll share the details of that at some later time. Hugely disappointing, wouldn't want to over commit and under deliver like that again. 

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2021, 01:59:35 am »
That's an interesting story, Clint.  Lots of food for thought and lessons to take away.

I really admire your ability to play lead, triads, complement (I assume that is what you mean by comp) another's playing, on the fly. I'd be left battling away to keep up with the open chords and maybe some E and A shape barre chords.

And I'm not putting myself down, sure if I focus my learning and work at that I can make progress and get there eventually.  I am sure I also don't know the notes on the neck as well as I need to for such jam sessions. Oh an ear training and transcription would build useful skills.

I guess for the other fellow, he may have been brought back to earth with a bump. Nothing wrong with having big goals, but sounds like he still had a lot to learn to reach the levels of musicianship that people at that performing and touring level have reached. Quite different to being able to play a few songs with your mates, though that is a good step. And as you said, it is just a first step and being able to play from memory, make some recordings, and ultimately improvise and jam would have to come well before one can land a gig in a local venue.

Thanks for sharing that story.
There are a number of ways to approach being guitar #2. If what you know are open cowboy chords, arpeggiate them. Or play power chords, or the low notes of the chords if you can -- to hold down the low end. Or play the treble strings to shore up the high end. Play something that adds depth and doesn't drown out the other player. Heck, I've done muted percussive strums or tapped my guitar. Serve the song.

To be honest practicing with a looper really helps a lot. I know there is a strong focus here on playing songs -- if focus shifts to playing/practicing progressions, the songs and improvisations, etc will follow organically.

I probably sounded far more critical than I meant to be. Some of these things just seemed noteworthy. If we had continued on as jam buddies many of these things would have been fun to kid each other about. Since the goal is to be a rock star, I wouldn't have added enough to help lift the band to stardom. Maybe (unbeknownst to me) it was an audition and I failed it from the first question on. ;)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2021, 02:52:50 am »
What a good read Clint. You're so unassuming about your knowledge and your musicality. You are a shining example of play songs, play songs, play songs and you play and sing them so very well.

I wanted to add my 2 cents worth regarding LBro. Without him there's no way I'd be recording stuff and using a DAW. He has spent many hours tutoring me. He's  my backstop every time I have a meltdown and he does it all with such good grace. Nothing's too much bother for him, even though I know that often it takes him time and laborious effort to help me. Working with him on Stop Draggin' has given me another insight into the level of skill and  knowledge he has when it comes to mixing and production. He's also very enthusiastic in encouraging me to spend money on GAS  ;D

Another thing that happened, which added to my learning and growth as a guitar player:
Just before the Bar 20 gigs, I responded to a question on NextDoor (local bulletin board type of website/app here) from someone asking about getting started with guitar. Of course I suggested Justin Guitar. Another person tossed a thumbs up on my post, so I reached out to him and struck up a conversation.

Suffice to say that a second meeting never happened. I sent some follow up texts but it was obvious that we weren’t going to be jam buddies. There seemed to be a bit of disbelief that I was releasing music and had done some gigs. Rather than take it as a sign that anyone, even a non-rock-star-wanna-be can get in the game, take some risks, play some music, and just have fun. This is quite a juxtaposition to the level of friendliness and support that we all share here on the forum. 

I do want to make some more connections post-COVID though. It didn't sour me to the possibility of picking up some local jam buddies.     

Did this encounter shine a light on your talent and musicality? I really do hope that better opportunities present themselves for you Clint. I think you need to spread your wings and fly a little in the wider world. For now I'm very glad you buzz us here in the community.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2021, 03:34:49 am »
What a good read Clint. You're so unassuming about your knowledge and your musicality. You are a shining example of play songs, play songs, play songs and you play and sing them so very well.

I wanted to add my 2 cents worth regarding LBro. Without him there's no way I'd be recording stuff and using a DAW. He has spent many hours tutoring me. He's  my backstop every time I have a meltdown and he does it all with such good grace. Nothing's too much bother for him, even though I know that often it takes him time and laborious effort to help me. Working with him on Stop Draggin' has given me another insight into the level of skill and  knowledge he has when it comes to mixing and production. He's also very enthusiastic in encouraging me to spend money on GAS  ;D

Did this encounter shine a light on your talent and musicality? I really do hope that better opportunities present themselves for you Clint. I think you need to spread your wings and fly a little in the wider world. For now I'm very glad you buzz us here in the community.
More well deserved love for LBro! Dig it.

My approach is to play progressions, play progressions, play progressions and then play songs. This is much more foundational because you are not just playing songs/music by rote. Start with songs and you play songs by rote. Understand the progression(s), and you will understand a ton of songs built off of it. Your ears will catch on quickly.

I want to share with you the kind of "Aha" moments that arise when you hit a little shift in a progression. Some bright musical person comes along and twists things up. It happens all the time, really. Check out this recent video from Rick Beato:

I know, I know, this is probably staged and he has more pre-knowledge of the songs than he lets on. How else does he start with an acoustic and switch to an SG at the most opportune time? I have no where near this level of ear knowledge, but I do connect the dots sometimes. It's fun. 

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2021, 04:44:00 am »
There are a number of ways to approach being guitar #2. If what you know are open cowboy chords, arpeggiate them. Or play power chords, or the low notes of the chords if you can -- to hold down the low end. Or play the treble strings to shore up the high end. Play something that adds depth and doesn't drown out the other player. Heck, I've done muted percussive strums or tapped my guitar. Serve the song.

To be honest practicing with a looper really helps a lot. I know there is a strong focus here on playing songs -- if focus shifts to playing/practicing progressions, the songs and improvisations, etc will follow organically.

I probably sounded far more critical than I meant to be. Some of these things just seemed noteworthy. If we had continued on as jam buddies many of these things would have been fun to kid each other about. Since the goal is to be a rock star, I wouldn't have added enough to help lift the band to stardom. Maybe (unbeknownst to me) it was an audition and I failed it from the first question on. ;)

The wisdom juts keeps flowing, Clint ...

"Serve the song" ... and I hear you that one does what one can, without ego ... and don't I know what a struggle that can be, to master the drives of one's own ego ... to participate and serve the song.

"practicing with a looper" ... so much value to be gained from that activity, which is not something I have spent much time doing. I guess my journey to date as been towards singer-songwriter, becoming an adequate guitarist to support the singing of songs, rather than necessarily working towards being the most rounded, proficient guitarist I can be. And as we oft say here ... learning guitar is not a sprint, it's not even a marathon, it's a never-ending adventure, a journey of discovery and learning as you follow your own impulses and aspirations, which are never cast in concrete.

"more critical than I meant to be" ... maybe when I first met you here I might have felt a sense of being critical, a bit harsh. Now I know you, I just take your thoughts and comments onboard as direct, tell it as you see it, comments, positively intended.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2021, 10:21:26 am »
Hi Clint
That Rick Beato video was so interesting. (Apart from the fact it highlighted that my knowledge of current music is non existent, I’d heard of 2 of the artists and none of the songs!).

Yes he was clearly prepared and knew what was coming but the way he could pick up the chords and riffs was amazing.
It made me realise the downside of online learning. All very well to try identifying chords, notes and progressions, but when you get totally stuck you have no one to ask or help and the temptation is to just ‘move on’ to something else.
Yes I know you can post questions on the forum and get some help but it’s not the same.

I’ve kind of plateaued at the moment and keep going back to what I already know and can do. Yes I’m trying to progress my fingerstyle and blues impros but my current thought is that if this lockdown ever ends I’ll try going to a teacher.

Your video clip was in some ways very inspiring but at the same time made me realise I don’t actually know all that much.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2021, 12:01:17 pm »
... made me realise I don’t actually know all that much.
Quote from all wise people throughout the ages   :)
If you look at what you have learned since you picked up the guitar, you must be well pleased.
If you think of all the enjoyment you have had learning, making music and interesting interactions you've had in the process- what a blast.
You also know that if you continue to practise and keep learning some theory, you'll continue to improve.
It would be so disappointing to arrive!
When you say you want a teacher, I hear you want a real person to talk and play music with. A teacher would be fine, but I suspect you'd do even better with a like-minded jam-buddy who was a bit more advanced than you.
Pity Clint lives on the other side of the pond, eh?  ;)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2021, 03:35:14 pm »
Hi Clint
That Rick Beato video was so interesting. (Apart from the fact it highlighted that my knowledge of current music is non existent, I’d heard of 2 of the artists and none of the songs!).

Yes he was clearly prepared and knew what was coming but the way he could pick up the chords and riffs was amazing.
It made me realise the downside of online learning. All very well to try identifying chords, notes and progressions, but when you get totally stuck you have no one to ask or help and the temptation is to just ‘move on’ to something else.
Yes I know you can post questions on the forum and get some help but it’s not the same.

I’ve kind of plateaued at the moment and keep going back to what I already know and can do. Yes I’m trying to progress my fingerstyle and blues impros but my current thought is that if this lockdown ever ends I’ll try going to a teacher.

Your video clip was in some ways very inspiring but at the same time made me realise I don’t actually know all that much.
How to unstick when we get stuck. that's something we all have to deal with at some point. We all have to find our own way it seems. I find if I have five or more spinning plates that I'm working on I never get stuck -- there's too much going on to get to the point of being stuck. So instead of looking for one thing, take some time off and listen to new music, or check out TrueFire and come up with five cool things to work on and you'll be unstuck for a long time. Learning your fretboard and music theory are good things to do while looking for inspiration. Play what you know without using open cowboy chords, or pick out the melody, that'll unstick ya!   

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2021, 09:52:34 pm »
Some very wise words posted there Clint. If you don’t mind, I’m going to copy and paste them into my own RC as a reminder to myself.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App