Author Topic: DanielC's Road Case  (Read 399 times)

Offline DanielC

• Good Vibes 0
DanielC's Road Case
« on: February 08, 2021, 01:41:41 pm »
Hi there.

I'll try to make this my space where I can monitor over time my personal progress.

Who am I and what's my story?
I am a 30 year old engineer living in Europe. I never really played guitar, except that I learned a few basic chords while I was in highschool. So basically I started from scratch :)

When did I start learning guitar? And what is my current progress?

I started practicing on Jan 24th 2021. I finished Justin's first grade (lessons 1-7), and about to start lesson 8. The first grade was passed with above the minimum requirements performance.

What gear am I using?

For now, I am using an old electric guitar which was borrowed from a friend. It is not set up properly, and has a lot of buzzes (neck should use some adjustments, string replacement), but I am not willing to fiddle with the settings of a guitar which is not mine. Next week I should receive my own guitar: Harley Benton SC Custom II, with an amp. I also have an USB audio interface.

What is my practice schedule and what resources am I using?

I will try to practice each day for at least 30 min to 1 hour, 4 times/week.
I am using Justing guitar beginner course, and in parallel GuitarTricks course, but Justing is the main source.

What are my goals and what do I want to achieve with this?

For this year, I'll try to get to a level at which someone who is not a musical instrument player can enjoy my jamming whithout causing any headaches.
I thought about it, and I'll try to make this a video journey, so in time I can also learn some video editing skills. The videos will start rolling once I receive my guitar, and I'll try to make regular updates.
I'll try to point out in my posts the struggles that I will be dealing with during my learing journey, and my achievements/milestones.
I'm also happy to receive criticism.

This post will be edited in the future.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:53:42 pm by DanielC »

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: DanielC's wonderful guitar journey
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 01:55:43 pm »
I bid you a warm welcome to the Forum and to learning guitar here, Daniel.

Great first entry and thumbs up for your plans.

I have not done the new Beginner Course, so not sure what is covered in the first 7 lessons, but does sound like you have covered that ground really fast, given starting on Jan 24th, 2021.

One good thing to do is to make some simple recordings of the songs you've been learning, just a video shot with your phone, and post them here, either as a new topic as you did for your RC entry or as a reply in the topic Beginner's Thread.

Wish you well as you work towards your goals.

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
Re: DanielC's Road Case
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 04:36:13 pm »
Hello Daniel

Firstly welcome to the forum and I look forward to your first video.

Just be careful not to rush through the course, For me personally I prefer to take my time and embed the learning before moving to the next stage.

Good luck on your guitar journey. Enjoy and learn songs on the route.

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DanielC

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 05:30:20 pm »
David, R.F.W, thanks for the warm welcome.

As for rushing through the course, the first grade seemed pretty easy, as I only had to remember the basic chords.
To be honest, I was comparing myself to the Nitsuj last practice session of each lesson.
I felt comfortable to go through the first grade lessons, as 95% of the time I was hitting the notes correctly on the "perfect chords" practice. I was also to do at least 60 chord changes between the main chords, using a metronome. Strumming wasn't a problem as well (except 6/8 strumming which is new to me).

Now I started grade 2, and I can already tell that I will spend some time on it :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 01:14:25 am »
Welcome to the forum Daniel. Your plans sound solid. As others have said before me, you'll get lots of support and feedback if you want to post recordings.

Enjoy your new guitar  :)
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 07:42:45 am »
David, R.F.W, thanks for the warm welcome.

As for rushing through the course, the first grade seemed pretty easy, as I only had to remember the basic chords.
To be honest, I was comparing myself to the Nitsuj last practice session of each lesson.
I felt comfortable to go through the first grade lessons, as 95% of the time I was hitting the notes correctly on the "perfect chords" practice. I was also to do at least 60 chord changes between the main chords, using a metronome. Strumming wasn't a problem as well (except 6/8 strumming which is new to me).

Now I started grade 2, and I can already tell that I will spend some time on it :)

Daniel, sounds like you are doing really well.

I noticed this comment "except 6/8 strumming which is new to me". I am jumping to a conclusion ... always risky ... that when you started Justin's course, it was not the first time you'd picked up a guitar or learned an instrument? If so, it does influence the pace at which one can get to grips with things.

And as said before, a great way to calibrate one's progress is to post recordings. For me that played a big part in my own learning.

Have fun with grade 2.

Offline DanielC

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 08:16:27 am »
Daniel, sounds like you are doing really well.

I noticed this comment "except 6/8 strumming which is new to me". I am jumping to a conclusion ... always risky ... that when you started Justin's course, it was not the first time you'd picked up a guitar or learned an instrument? If so, it does influence the pace at which one can get to grips with things.

And as said before, a great way to calibrate one's progress is to post recordings. For me that played a big part in my own learning.

Have fun with grade 2.

Yes, during my highschool I picked up the guitar for a few months, I did not have a learning plan. So during that time I basically learned the main chord (G,D,E,A,C,Am,Em) and some basic strumming patterns. For more than 10 years, I did not pick up a guitar. Luckily I do have a very good memory which has helped me through my schooling and career. Now it's time to use it on the guitar.

As for the videos, they will come very soon

Online adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 10:02:09 am »
Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum. Sounds like your plan is solid and I wish you good luck :) my only suggestion is to take it slow and enjoy the ride :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App