Author Topic: Looking for good default settings: VOX VT20x  (Read 715 times)

Offline Henry Krinkle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Looking for good default settings: VOX VT20x
« on: May 10, 2018, 12:29:10 am »
Hi all: I have the Vox VT20x and really like the sound but find I'm spending too much time playing with all the different settings.  I generally keep it on Deluxe CL and have everything else at 12:00.  I realize this is all subjective but is there a good rule of thumb on where I should set the knobs when I'm just practicing?  For example, is it better to drop the volume and raise the power level (or vice-versa) and control volume with the guitar.  I have a Strat and generally don't mess with the tone knobs - just keep them at ten.  And I generally keep the pickup selector in 4 or 5 (neck - neck/middle).

I know it's all trial and error but I'd rather spend my time practicing than messing around with all the knobs on my amp.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
Re: Looking for good default settings: VOX VT20x
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 01:46:24 am »
My highly subjective advice would be to find the Vox AC30 emulation setting and then hammer away with that strat-o-blaster. A close second would be anything claiming to be a Marshall JCM 800. OK, these are my favorite channels on my Fender amp. For the most part go for a clean sound if you are just starting out.

Otherwise, you've got to take the time to learn what the amp can do, just like the rest of us with modeling amps. Tweak and play. Don't be intimidated. You are free to be intimidated when you start to work in a DAW. :)

EDIT: Someone with more single-coil guitar experience (than me) will need to advise on the tone to p/u selection conundrum. But there again, you need to muck about and find what works best for you

Offline Henry Krinkle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 07:16:38 am »
My highly subjective advice would be to find the Vox AC30 emulation setting and then hammer away with that strat-o-blaster. A close second would be anything claiming to be a Marshall JCM 800. OK, these are my favorite channels on my Fender amp. For the most part go for a clean sound if you are just starting out.

Otherwise, you've got to take the time to learn what the amp can do, just like the rest of us with modeling amps. Tweak and play. Don't be intimidated. You are free to be intimidated when you start to work in a DAW. :)

EDIT: Someone with more single-coil guitar experience (than me) will need to advise on the tone to p/u selection conundrum. But there again, you need to muck about and find what works best for you

Thanks for the response.  I'm probably overthinking it - the modeling amp opens up so many different sounds that it can be a bit overwhelming.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 08:12:46 am »
Your settings will depend a great deal on the sort of music you want to play, a Strat is quite versatile in what it will do.
Just using the Neck and Neck/Middle settings will give you anything from Jazz to Blues to Rock (plus classic Dire Straits) sounds depending on your amp setup.
For clean I would suggest a Fender type amp (ideally a Fender twin) for most other stuff AC30, Marshall JCM, Orange, which all would give great overdriven sounds.
I think that you should explore the other pickup combinations to find out what you get, the Middle pickup on its own can sound quite good, the other two are more lead/solo suitable.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 01:42:02 pm »
Just wanted to add that the VOX VT20x is a really nice looking amp. Often times style is overlooked in these amp designs. A simple black box just isn't very inspiring.

When it comes to which p/u to use for a particular type of sound, my old goto is the "Guitar of the Day" videos from Norman's Rare Guitars (the store is right here in my neighborhood). Checkout the strat demos and you'll get some good ideas:

Offline Henry Krinkle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 07:39:36 pm »
Just wanted to add that the VOX VT20x is a really nice looking amp. Often times style is overlooked in these amp designs. A simple black box just isn't very inspiring.

When it comes to which p/u to use for a particular type of sound, my old goto is the "Guitar of the Day" videos from Norman's Rare Guitars (the store is right here in my neighborhood). Checkout the strat demos and you'll get some good ideas:

Thanks again.  I'll definitely check out those videos.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App