Author Topic: Help needed to buy a guitar for myself and my 8 year old son  (Read 929 times)

Offline 27aroy

• Good Vibes 0
Hello ,

Wanted some help in buying guitar for myself and my 8 year old son. will buy from amazon.

can someone help me in what type of guitar i should buy? Not looking for anything expensive.

Thanks

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
Re: Help needed to buy a guitar for myself and my 8 year old son
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:12:39 pm »
Hello.

First, do you have to buy online?

Second, acoustic or electric?

:)

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Rob7

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:17:08 pm »
Is it one guitar between you? I'm not an expert but I'd be tempted to go to your local music store and try some guitars out so you can see what size would best suit your son. You'd want a smaller body guitar (if acoustic) than a dreadnought for example so something the size of the Yamaha FS series may be appropriate.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 387
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:19:09 pm »
First, do not, do not, buy a bundle-in-a-box beginner pack.

cheap and nasty rubbish 99% of them.

Second ...
acoustic or electric?
... this

Third  ... what is 'not too much money' is relative so can you give us a maximum all in price range?

And, finally, remember you will want to factor in accessories that will vary depending on acoustic or electric.

Offline mbmert

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 08:53:59 am »
Just one suggestion, if you(and your son) are into rock/pop-rock or any harder music, DO NOT buy a classic guitar just because they're cheaper.

Offline techdad5606

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 03:37:09 am »
When I was trying out guitars I was impressed at the playability of the Squire Affinity Telecaster.  I t it under $200 and gets good reviews

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Guitar: Ibanez RG450DX
Amp: Fender Mustang I

Offline DanB

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 10:29:09 pm »
My sons aged 10 and 7 both have Squier strats and are doing fine with them- actually they are way easier to play than their 3/4 size nylon string school guitars.
Also a LOT more fun to play- more incentive to practise when you can fool around with overdrive etc and really rock out! :D
They have the full size strats and manage fine. One has affinity, one a bullet, they feel and sound similar I think. The bullet feels a bit nicer even though cheaper.
I would agree with another poster- try some out in the guitar shop. I was going to get a Yamaha pacifica as these have good reviews but when we picked one up it didnt feel great, so went for the Squier. It helps if you can love your instrument.

Offline mvsopen

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Guitar Beginner - But Learning!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 02:56:32 am »
No matter what choice you eventually make, please take it to your local guitar shop (LGS) and have it professionally set up? It makes a huge amount of difference in both ease of fretting the notes as well as the overall sound quality. I suffered for nearly two years with my first guitar, a big-box store acoustic that I simply couldn't play cleanly. After spending $50 at my LGS to have them set it up, it plays 100x better. For example, how could I have known that the frets had rough edges, when I've never even held a guitar before?

One other great bit of advice that I received from one of Justin's videos: Electrics are easier to play - you don't have to press down so hard on the strings.

Good luck!

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Live, Love, Play Guitar!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 07:36:40 am »
Hello ,

Wanted some help in buying guitar for myself and my 8 year old son. will buy from amazon.

can someone help me in what type of guitar i should buy? Not looking for anything expensive.

Thanks
I bought a Schecter sgr 1 which is somewhat of a beginner electric guitar. I love it, it stays in tune well, the Nick action is good, I'm trying to do solos now and it seems to be great for that. I got it from Amazon for $95.99 on special one night at 3 AM. It was $40 less than at Guitar Center, and a lot less than some of the other stores were selling it for. It comes with a gig bag, which is really handy for keeping the dust off when you're not playing it.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Live, Love, Play Guitar!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 07:39:12 am »
No matter what choice you eventually make, please take it to your local guitar shop (LGS) and have it professionally set up? It makes a huge amount of difference in both ease of fretting the notes as well as the overall sound quality. I suffered for nearly two years with my first guitar, a big-box store acoustic that I simply couldn't play cleanly. After spending $50 at my LGS to have them set it up, it plays 100x better. For example, how could I have known that the frets had rough edges, when I've never even held a guitar before?

One other great bit of advice that I received from one of Justin's videos: Electrics are easier to play - you don't have to press down so hard on the strings.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for the info on getting it professionally set up. Mine is wonderful right now, but I'm sure what's a little fine-tuning it would be even better. I will do that when I save up enough money.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller

Offline WalrusCandyman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Hey, I managed to learn the F chord...
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 02:12:11 am »
Hello ,

Thanks
Heyo.
I can tell you that, though I am far from 8, I am just now learning.  I have made a few attempts in the past to learn, with guitars of varying quality. 
I can say that the Squire Affinity Tele I have now has taken me further and fast than any other I have tried on.  Even pricier guitars.
But I had hit up several pawn shops and held a few before picking the Squire.
Take the lad around, let him tell you what is comfortable.
Then pick from the ones he has an easy time with.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App