Author Topic: I think I have the necessities...  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Live, Love, Play Guitar!
I think I have the necessities...
« on: April 26, 2018, 04:33:51 am »
Hi all,

I am new to effects, and I am wondering whether I am missing any "necessities". I also need to know whether my effects are situated in the correct order on the board, as I've watched countless YouTube videos, and they all have different recommendations.

I can't seem to upload photos of my pedals, so here's what I have.  From my amp, the effects chain goes as follows:

Mooer Repeater Delay
MXR Analog Chorus
Rocktron Raction Octaver
Wampler Triple-Wreck Distortion
Behringer Compressor / Sustain

Then into the guitar.  Do I have the order right, or did I really mess things up? I'm afraid I might have hooked everything up backward  :(

Thank you for your help!
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: I think I have the necessities...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 11:09:15 am »
The signal chain runs from guitar to amp and the normal way to describe the path is 1st pedal from guitar first etc.
It looks like you have this in reverse but can you confirm please?

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 09:32:09 pm »
My first pedal was a looper. I think it's absolutely necessary. Place it at the end of the chain. I too think you have the order listed backwards - compressor should be first, etc.

Edit: I don't see an octaver as necessary.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 11:22:53 pm »
There's only one rule and that is that there is no rule. Experiemnt and see what you like. Try placing the octaver and chorus before and after the Triple Wreck, both can yield wonderful results I'd imagine.

And there's not really 'necessities'. although maybe you could use something like a Mini Spark Booster after your Triple Wreck. For me personally, 'necessity' is really only a good delay because a lot of my playing is based around it.

Comperssors can go just as well at the end of your chain. I know Devin Townsend likes it that way, as a sort of master compressor.

Loopers are indeed best used at the end because then you can change sounds without changing what you recorded into the looper. That, and it may possibly muddy up the response of your Triple Wreck if you put the looper before it.

Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 07:33:25 pm »
Hi all, and thank you for your responses.

close2u, I think you are right about having my chain of effects backward. I'm going to switch them all, and see what the sound is like. Right now, the sound isn't too great.

CT, i agree with you and close2u that the chain is backward. My sound isn't what I expected it to be, so we'll see when I change the order of the pedals. Also, the Rocktron Reactor is an octaver; it just sounds like garbage, most likely because the chain is wrong.

Cue Zephyr, thanks for the info. I'll look into the Mini Spark Booster; I've not heard of this before. I have my compressor at the end of my (probably backward) chain; I'll put it at the end and see how it sounds. Anything should be better than the sound I get now.

As for the looper, I've looked at some at Guitar Center and Reverb.com, and I'm not sure what I'm looking at... the prices are quite high, so I don't want to invest in something of low quality. Any suggestions for a looper on a budget? I'd really like to stay below $130 USD. If that's not feasible, I'll save up for something of good quality.

Thanks again to you all, and I look forward to any suggestions on that looper. I'll post after I get the pedals situated properly and let you know how they sound. Also, I'm going to try to post a pic of my board (before changing it), and I'll try to post one after changing it.

Well, for whatever reason, I am unable to post a pic of my board... tried jpg and gif; if there's another format I should be using, please let me know.

Thanks again!
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. -Helen Keller

Offline rfriday

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 09:04:11 pm »
I have a DigiTech JamMan Express XT looper that I really like.   The TC Electronics Ditto is also popular.  Both are $99.
Guitars: Fender Am. Special HSS Strat (black on black),  Schecter C-1 Custom, Epi SG 400 Pro, Seagull Entourage CW GT QI, Yamaha FGX700SC

Amps:  Fender Mustang III v2, Blackstar HT-5R

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 09:28:41 pm »
Here you go, these are pretty good especially considering what they cost! I’ve got a few of this brand pedals now and to be brutally honest they don’t compare to boutique pedals but the work well and cost not a lot.
The product
https://www.donnerdeal.com/products/donner-looper-effects-pedals-unlimited-overdubs-10-minutes-of-looping

A review

My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Jenn

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 11:55:28 pm »
Hi, and thank you all so much for letting me know my effect chain was backward ??? Things sound so very different (and a whole lot better) now that I've reversed the order. The difference is incredible! Things sound the way I thought they should. I'm sure I will get a whole lot more enjoyment from my pedals now  :)
High five to all of you!
And DarrellW, thank you for the review of the Donner looper.  I have one in my wish list at Amazon.com, and will be ordering it soon!

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 06:28:15 pm »
At the risk of muddying the water a bit, there are schools of thought about adding a compressor at the end of the chain as a clean boost. Maybe someone will come along and extoll the virtues of using a compressor in such a way. I have the TC Electronic Forcefield and have been happy with it at the beginning of the chain.

As for loopers, the simpler the better. I went with the Ditto by TC Electronic and have been very happy with it. It was an in-store demo, so it was nicely discounted as well. Note that if you lay down a killer loop you can save it off in a DAW such as GarageBand and use it again later. Using a looper is a valuable skill in its own right, and over time you will probably do less saving to a DAW, and just build your loop(s) again from scratch.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App