Author Topic: Electric guitar and Drive cd200b amp  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Dominatior6545

• Good Vibes 0
Electric guitar and Drive cd200b amp
« on: March 30, 2018, 04:15:44 am »
I have a fender star caster remake I'm pretty sure but I have a drive cd200b amp and I can't get any more sound than lik you would here when it is not plugged it it just makes it louder can u help me set it up

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
Re: Electric guitar and Drive cd200b amp
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 06:54:39 am »
The amp you have is not an electric guitar amp. It's a bass guitar amp.

If you want it to sound like an electric guitar, you need an electric guitar amp with a overdrive or distortion setting. At a push you could probably use the bass amp with an overdrive or distortion pedal in front of it, but you are best to buy a proper electric guitar amp in the first place.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Styrr

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 05:37:19 pm »
Yep as Majik points out, you have a Bass Amp.
Although it’s not what you expected in an amp, amps essentially  just amplify the input to make it louder.
The basic difference between a Bass amp and a ‘normal’ electric guitar amp is the speaker – it has to be able to withstand and push out the lower frequencies.

What you have is 1 channel amp with no pre-amp gain stage (bass players quite often won’t use gain). This just makes it a ‘clean’ amp. i.e. no overdriven stage and less compression. So, with your set up the only way to shape the tone is via the equalisation on your amp (bass mids treble) and the tone knob on your guitar (which really just reduces the high frequencies)

If you are looking for a more overdriven or distortion sound then I am afraid the only way to get this with this amp, is to get a one of those pedals and put the guitar through that into that amp.
The good news is that ‘clean’ channels  usually take pedals quite well and you can some quite cheap, either new or used. (not that I am/would recommend Behringer but their pedals are aprox. £25)
And if you afford to get something like a zoom multi-effects pedal, that will open up a vast array of sounds without needing to change the amp.
The caveat here is that I have no experience of the CD200b, so it may not sound that ‘nice’ with pedals

Hope that clarifies and helps
Styrr
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I cannot accept not trying.”
Michael Jordan

Offline Dominatior6545

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 04:29:59 pm »
Thanks I guess I will have to look into a peadal or a new amp my wallet probably says pedal tho thanks for the help

Offline Dominatior6545

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 04:38:06 pm »
Is there any certain model of those pedals that you would recommend

Offline LeftyLoosy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 06:35:48 pm »
I used to practice with a multi-effect pedal and earphones. Cheaper than almost any amp, highly versatile, you can practice without disturbing your roommates.

I had the supercheap Digitech one when I first learned to play, and it's still out there! 40 bucks for a pretty huge range of sounds. Not too bad to start with.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 06:39:52 pm »
Is there any certain model of those pedals that you would recommend
This is one you can’t go wrong with! Watch the review
https://www.donnerdeal.com/products/donner-tube-drive-overdrive-guitar-effect-pedal-super-mini
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Styrr

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 05:08:56 pm »
Really what type of pedal to go for is rather subjective and depends on what type of ‘sound’ you are aiming for. Is it blues; rock;metal etc?. You might find some advice on the type of pedal in the effects forum.
If we tried to explain the differences, in words, between Overdrive and Distortion (and even Fuzz) it would be rather long winded or a bit too technical. YouTube is your friend; just search on there for Overdrive vs Distortion and you will find plenty. Ie. For one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj53Q-pisbw

The warning I would give is:- I don’t know the amp itself but I am assuming that it just has class D amp ie a Power Amp (a linear amplification device). That being so, a pedal might not give the expected results. Ttry and borrow one to check to see if the result is what you want. That, or spend as little as possible first.
The link in DarrellW’s  reply to the Donner wouldn’t be the worst choice for the price.  Be aware that mini pedals will need a separate power supply adapter as they won’t take batteries. So that would be another expense.
If you are looking for more versatility try a cheap multi-effects pedal. LeftyLoosy suggests the DigiTech RP55 – about £33 new. If your wallet will stretch enough then it may well be a better choice. It takes batteries (therefore cheaper than a mini pedal and power adapter), has built in tuner and will allow you to try out different effects. But get ready to spend hours messing about until you nail down the sounds you like. I am not familiar with this particular processor unit so for opinions on it try shifting this conversion to the effects forum.
Styrr
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I cannot accept not trying.”
Michael Jordan

Get The Forum As A Mobile App