Author Topic: String bending  (Read 464 times)

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
String bending
« on: April 21, 2018, 08:53:16 am »
Hi all
I can comfortably do tone bends on all but one of my guitars. The one I can't is the Pacifica which is the only one with 9's and the only one with a floating bridge, all the others have 10's and fixed bridges.

When I do the bends on the Pacifica the strings feel tight and after a few bends the skin tears between my nail and finger, which stops any string bending for a few days.

I would have thought that 9's would be easier to bend than 10's and I would have thought the floating bridge would also make bends easier, so what is happening.

Any ideas welcome
Jono

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
Re: String bending
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 10:28:23 am »
Check the scale lengths on your guitars, I’m fairly sure the Pacifica is 25.5” if your others are shorter that’s your answer. Shorter scale length gives less tension in the strings to get up to pitch so means easier bends even with thicker strings.
I play with 12’s on a 25.5” scale length acoustic and can push a 1.5 pitch bend, it’s all about practice and developing strength in your hands.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 10:37:56 am »
It's not that, two others are 25.5.
I can comfortably do bends on the others but for some reason on the Pacifica I can feel more resistance and after a few bends it happens and that's the end of any string bending for a few days.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 12:30:25 pm »
Maybe it could be something to do with the neck profile, different profiles means different grips so it could be that with the Pacifica it’s just less favourable for you.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Get The Forum As A Mobile App