Author Topic: Musopia's beginners song course  (Read 744 times)

Offline Libitina

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Do something new, Learn the Guitar.
Musopia's beginners song course
« on: May 02, 2018, 10:20:36 pm »
Hi all, I'm not really sure if this is the correct place for this question but I really didn't know where to put it. Mod's please move if you think it needs moving.

Anyway....
I have the android version of the  beginners song course, by musopia which, I think is great but,

I want to play the songs via my computer so I hear them in my headphones at the same time as I play my guitar.

My guitar is connected to a focus rite solo to my mac and straight back to the solo via headphones. trouble is the focusrite I have doesn't allow for MP3 throughput like amps do, so how do I do it.
Any idea please , i'm stumped on this.

R.H
1st, Epiphone Electro-acoustic AJ 220 SCE
2nd, Squire Strat HSS Candy Apple Red
3rd, Epiphone Ltd Ed. ES339 Vintage Sunburst

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
Re: Musopia's beginners song course
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 10:34:53 pm »
I can’t think of an easy way of doing this the focusrite usb interface is two way so something “played” on the Mac can be heard in the headphones. Your problem - I’m assuming is that the app is on an Android device. In theory you could plug this into a mic input on the Mac ( if it has one ) that would allow you to hear it on the Mac but I don’t think it will route to the focusrite this way.

One possible solution would be to buy a Bluetooth audio receiver and a quarter inch headphone adapter.. I can’t guarantee this would work but the Bluetooth receiver using the adapter could plug into one of the ficusrite inputs. You could then connect your android device via Bluetooth to the focusrite and then you would be able to hear it via the focusrite. The Bluetooth audio receivers are about £10-15 on Amazon.
You could always return if it doesn’t work.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Libitina

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 11:17:45 pm »
OK, I get the idea, I don't have a BT receiver right now so I tested the focusrite line input and I see my mac receives the signal but I can't hear it anywhere, either on the main speakers or headphones so not sure where its being sent.

If I can get a DAW to pickup the signal that will solve the problem, all I will need to do is to play the captured material and play that while I play the guitar.

Cant really see this working though....shame we can't have the songbooks as an audio to play along too..

Offline Libitina

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 08:36:53 am »

OK, I get the idea, I don't have a BT receiver right now so I tested the focusrite line input and I see my mac receives the signal but I can't hear it anywhere, either on the main speakers or headphones so not sure where its being sent.

Update. The DAW can hear the line input all be it quiet, but I captured an entire song. Needs some refining like.....

Volume low, only captures in mono.
Trying to combine JS's backing into the DAW with the music from the app and play along on guitar.

Not any easy task lol....

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 09:06:10 am »
Update. The DAW can hear the line input all be it quiet, but I captured an entire song. Needs some refining like.....

Volume low, only captures in mono.
Trying to combine JS's backing into the DAW with the music from the app and play along on guitar.

Not any easy task lol....
Not sure what DAW you are using, but assume they probably all have similar basic features, so with that in mind...

When I record through my mic, I turn the gain down on the FocusRite to try and eliminate background noise and guitar bleed onto the vocal track.  It means the recorded track is really low.  But I am able to boost up the gain on the recorded track in Reaper ... I am talking about the actually recorded track, not just pushing up the vol fader to make it louder in the mix.  You can see the waveform get bigger.  Haven't noticed any ill side-effects of this. 

Perhaps that is something you can do in your DAW to boost the volume?

Offline Libitina

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 09:25:40 am »
As it goes I'm using reaper too. I don't have a mic so I plugged my phone into same port as guitar would use and set record and played a piece to see what would happen. It worked.

Ultimately I hope to have a band type feel with no band lol and no prompt from the app about what chords to play.

It will test my memory and my timing for sure.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 01:06:15 pm »
As it goes I'm using reaper too. I don't have a mic so I plugged my phone into same port as guitar would use and set record and played a piece to see what would happen. It worked.

Ultimately I hope to have a band type feel with no band lol and no prompt from the app about what chords to play.

It will test my memory and my timing for sure.
Sounds like you're sorted then. 

And once you've recorded the backing off your phone into Reaper then you can record yourself playing the song, balance the two tracks and render a final version out of Reaper to share with us :)  We are always keen to hear people, to offer encouragement and feedback.

Now I am looking forward to listening to you jamming along!!

Offline Libitina

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 01:22:01 pm »
Yeah right lol. :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 01:27:57 pm »
Yeah right lol. :)
Not sure how to read that one, so won't jump to conclusions  :)

All I can say is that it was a big step for me, terrifying, the first time I posted a recording.  But I am so glad I did.  The feedback and encouragement has been invaluable, and today I have made much more progress than I suspect I would've made had a stayed beavering away at home all on my own ...

Offline Libitina

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 01:52:29 pm »
I will ......not for a while though.

Thanks to all who replied.

Thank you.